Ten Quick Breakfasts for Moms on the Go
The fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day is old news. But why is it so important? Not only does it give you energy to take on your day, but it jump starts your metabolism. And who doesn’t want a hopped-up metabolism? You are actually more likely to binge later if you skip breakfast – research shows that women who eat breakfast are more likely to stick to a healthy diet. A study of 4,000 women 19 years of age and older actually demonstrated that women who eat breakfast are 24% less likely to be overweight than women who hold off on eating until lunchtime. In fact, according to a separate food trends study, 1/3 of women skip breakfast or consider coffee or a soda to be their morning repast.
But once you get into the habit of skipping breakfast, it is a hard habit to break. Stock your work fridge if you must eat at your desk. Planning ahead is your best bet – mornings are hectic. Take a few minutes the night before to figure out what you are going to eat for breakfast and get as much of it ready as possible.
Ten quick breakfasts for moms on the go:
1. Cereal with low fat or non-fat milk – quick and easy, packed with nutrients
2. Smoothie made with milk or yogurt and fruit – add crushed ice to make it really frothy
3. Whole grain toast with peanut butter and a glass of milk
4. Yogurt with berries and low fat granola
5. A scrambled egg with tomato in a tortilla
6. Handful of nuts and a banana
7. Oatmeal with skim milk and raisins
8. Whole grain muffins
9. Half a whole grain bagel with a light spread of peanut butter or other nut butter
10. If you are not into typical breakfast food, string cheese, a piece of turkey or even half of a pb&j on wheat is fine with a piece of fruit
11. And if all else fails, a glass of milk is better than no breakfast at all.