How long can you keep chicken in the fridge?
How long can chicken be (kept) in the fridge uncooked? If I have breaded chicken cutlet I’m never sure how long (it can last in the refrigerator) and I tend to cook it all at once. (Also) I feel like I’m limited to what I can do with the chicken once its cooked.
Thanks for your help,
According to Foodsafety.gov, uncooked poultry is safe in the refrigerator for 1-2 days, and safe in the freezer for 9 months (for pieces) and up to 12 months for whole chickens or turkey.
Cooked poultry is safe refrigerated for 3-4 days. You can also freeze your cooked breaded chicken cutlets (tightly wrapped in foil or saran wrap and place in freezer bags) for 1-3 months. Just pull it out the night before you want to have it and thaw in the fridge.
As for ideas on what to do with cooked chicken or breaded cutlets, here are some ways to get creative with leftovers:
- Slice and toss with pasta and veggies or in your favorite mac and cheese recipe (photo above is a yummy chicken caesar mac)
- Chop up the chicken and toss with greens and veggies for a healthy salad
- Place in a pita or tortilla for a yummy sandwich
- Make some pasta, top with a cutlet, then jarred marinara sauce, and some cheese – place under a broiler and you have chicken parm
- Have panini night by layering a chicken cutlet with spinach or arugula, red onion, avocado, tomato and cheese – grill and you have a tasty sandwich
Here are some of Rach’s favorite recipes using chicken cutlets: