Real Food, Fast: Morning Glory Muffins
I’m always on the look-out for breakfast on-the-go-recipes.
Muffins are a popular choice, but many of the recipes are loaded with sugar and white flour. You may think your morning muffin is a healthy option, but I assure you, it’s often no better than a piece of cake.
I like to make sure my kids always have a balanced breakfast, but when you are a busy family on-the-run, that’s not always an easy task. My kids love muffins, and let’s face it, they are great take-along food.
Determined to make a muffin that was better for us, I came up with these Morning Glory Muffins. I can feel good about giving these muffins to my kids as an on-the-go breakfast or snack, because they are made with whole wheat pastry flour and chock-full o’ good ingredients like apples, carrots, and walnuts.
Whole wheat pastry flour is my secret for keeping these muffins light and moist. Pastry flour is ground much finer than regular whole wheat flour and also has less gluten in it. It’s a great choice if you want to use a whole wheat flour but still keep the recipe light.
Morning Glory Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
1 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed natural brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Fuji apple, cored, peeled and grated
1/2 cup seedless raisins
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. dried, shredded, unsweetened coconut, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugars, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Be sure to break up any lumps caused by the brown sugar.
3. In another bowl whisk together eggs, oil, vanilla, apple, raisins, carrots and walnuts.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined.
5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and top with extra coconut if desired. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
Looking for a few more hearty and healthy breakfasts? Try: