Very Fine (and Gluten-Free!) Viennese Crescent Cookies
For a detailed step-by-step, click here!
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 cups chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour
- 1 cup ground almonds or nuts
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Grease a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper. Place the confectioner’s sugar in a large, shallow bowl. In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, ground almonds, spices, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture in two or three batches and mix well.
3. Take a tablespoonful of the dough and shape it into a ball. Roll the ball out to a length of about two inches, then delicately bend it into a crescent. Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Place the trays of cookies in the refrigerator, and chill the dough for 30 minutes. While the cookies are chilling, preheat the over to 300 F.
5. Bake the cookies for 25 to 35 minutes, or when they are golden on the bottom. As soon as they’re cool enough to handle, roll the cookies in the confectioner’s sugar.
6. Cool completely, then roll the cookies in the sugar a second time. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.