How to Give Back this Holiday Season
The holiday season is upon us. And while you might be out getting gifts for the special people in your life, don’t forget the Giving Season (as Rach calls it) has arrived.
Take a few moments and think of the causes that matter most to you (we’ve listed out some of Rachael’s here!), and support them with your time, dollars, or enthusiasm. Even if you give as little as $1, every bit counts – and everyone will be richer for it.
Together, we can make a world of difference!
Animal Welfare (Rach loves animals – here’s more about Rachael’s Rescue!)
- The ASPCA was the first humane society to be established in North America, founded on the belief that animals are entitled to kind and respectful treatment at the hands of humans and must be protected under the law. The ASCPA works in animal rescue, placement, and protection.
- North Shore Animal League is the largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization in the world. The Animal League rescues, nurtures, and adopts 20,000 pets into happy and loving homes each year.
- Best Friends Animal Society runs the nation’s largest no-kill sanctuary for companion animals and builds effective programs that reduce the number of animals entering shelters.
- Project Chimps is a 236-acre sanctuary in northern Georgia. The sanctuary will soon care for over 220 chimpanzee residents, who need a new home after being test subjects in private biomedical research labs.
- The National Disaster Search Dog Foundation strengthens disaster response in America by recruiting rescued dogs and partnering them with firefighters and other first responders to find people buried alive in the wreckage of disasters.
- Freedom Service Dogs enhances the lives of people with disabilities by rescuing dogs and custom training them for children, veterans and active duty military, and other adults. These dogs are trained to help with conditions such as autism, traumatic brain injury, cerebral palsy, spinal cord injuries, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Feeding Hungry Kids, Kids Nutrition & Educating Youth (Check out Rachael’s Yum-o! Organization for more)
- The Alliance for a Healthier Generation was founded by the American Heart Association and the Clinton Foundation as a response to the growing rate of childhood obesity, with the goal of creating systemic change that makes the healthy choice the easy choice.
- Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign connects kids in need with nutritious food and teaches their families how to cook healthy, affordable meals. The campaign also engages the public to make ending child hunger a national priority.
- FoodCorps connects kids to healthy food in school, so they can lead healthier lives and reach their full potential. Their AmeriCorps leaders deliver their program in high-need schools, focusing on hands-on lessons, healthy school meals, and a schoolwide culture of health.
- The Feeding America network is the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization. The nationwide network of food banks provides more than 3.6 billion meals to virtually every community in the U.S. through food pantries and meal programs.
- National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation exists to enhance the restaurant industry’s service to the public through education, community engagement, and promotion of career opportunities.
- The Michael J. Fox Foundation is dedicated to finding a cure for Parkinson’s disease through research and ensuring the development of improved therapies for those living with Parkinson’s.
- Tony Bennett’s Exploring the Arts works collaboratively with public high schools throughout New York City and Los Angeles to help them build high-quality, school-day arts programs and to provide additional, out-of-school arts opportunities for their students.
- The Diamond Blackfan Anemia Foundation advances research initiatives that promote a better understanding, therapeutic strategies, and a cure for this rare bone marrow failure syndrome. They are also dedicated to patient advocacy and providing support and education services to individuals, families, and medical professionals.