Now that school is almost out, it's important that your kids remain active all summer long and don't wind up sitting in front of the t.v. or computer all day. Make sure to limit their screen time and get them involved in a few activities that will allow them to enjoy the great outdoors while the months are warm. Here are some tips from rachaelray.com and our friends at the Alliance for a Healthier Generation as to how to limit screen time:
- Know how much screen time your family is getting. If you have been great about limiting it all school year, keep up the good work and stick to your limits, even though the kids have more time on their hands. If your kids' screen time was too high, use the good weather as an excuse to make a positive change!
- Before you make any changes, talk to your kids and explain why it is important to get enough activity during the day.
- Give your kids a heads up that you will be making a change so they understand and expect it. Then make sure you give them other things to do and do it together. Some ideas include: taking a walk around the block, going for a bike ride together, reading together, playing board games or cards, taking a dip at the local pool, building a garden or getting in the kitchen and cooking or baking!
- Set clear limits regarding screen time, such as one hour a day, or one show after dinner, and stick to your rules! Don't give in or you will be sending a confusing message.
- Once you make a change, make sure you give your kids lots of praise and encouragement as they partake in alternative activities.
You as parents can use this opportunity to spend more time with your kids and get creative too. These rules aren't just for kids-we can't spend all day in front of the computer when the sun is shining! Get up and take a walk to the mailbox or around the block just to soak up some vitamin D! Stay tuned for more expert tips and ideas for staying active this summer with your kids.