Last minute lady

Travels in Italy: Florence

If you make it to Florence, you have to try Il Latini for the Tuscan Steak. The restaurant has two seatings-one at 7:30 and one at 9:30, and be prepared to wait a bit because this place is popular! You will most likely sit at a communal table, but what a great way to make new friends.

I was lucky enough to dine here recently and get a tour of the wine cellar. At first glance, I thought the wine cellar was a mess because of the way the bottles were just strewn about as is the case with this Sassicaia collection.

Sassicaia at Il Latini

I mean this stuff is like $300 a bottle in the US and look at how it is stored here!

The food was amazing. You have to get the Tuscan steak, of course, but also try the chicken livers (wow) and the desserts were pretty special if you can make it that far. I can’t really say anything we ate was bad, and we ate alot. Here is a sampling of our dinner:

• Peccorino cheese slices
  • chicken liver on toast
  • bruscetta
  • pappa al pomodoro (bread and tomato soup)
  • penne with a ragu sauce
  • Tuscan steak
  • veal chops
  • rabbit
  • and an amazing selection of desserts

Here are some photos from that night:

Waiting for a table outside Il LatiniThe steak!

8 Responses to “Travels in Italy: Florence”

1. brenda says:

I’ve been dreaming of going to Italy for about 4 years now. If I ever get there I would love to eat at this restaurant…it sounds Delish!!!

2. Isabel P says:

Wow! What a menu – imagine making that at home?Your pictures are terrific…really capture the spirit of Italy and the wine picture is a hoot!

3. Jennifer says:

There is also another great place to eat, if you’re looking at the old town court house and “jet back,” an amazing place is on your right hand side. Also, though the winding streets, past the leather shop, there is an amazing restaurant. If you dream of having that authentic Italian dinner, go there! The gellato shops all around the center of town are great!!!

4. Billy says:

I love italy. The colors and the foods seem so amazing. Thank you for giving me yet another reason to go there. Chicken liver on toast sounds interesting, I’ll have to see how that tastes.

5. Anuja says:

My husband and I went to Italy in August, and we also went to this fantastic restaurant. The food and bottomless wine were really amazing. We had the pancetta and cantelope to start, the ribolita tuscan bread soup, the rosemary lamb. The owner is so nice here, bringing you little biscotti treats and a shot of amaretto to dip them in with a glass of dessert champagne all on the house. We ended up buying a bottle of the champagne because we loved it so much! You may also want to try the Trattoria Za Za when in Florence. The truffle sauce is to die for!

6. Valli says:

Vanessa-what a fabulous travel log of your honeymoon in Italy. It brought back my memories of Italy and has me yearning to go back! thank you so much.

7. Jill says:

Hey Rach, just got back from Italy and ate at Il Latini, what a blast that place was. As a matter of fact I am going to make their Ribollita this weekend. Also, had a great meal at Natolino in Florence.
    But that isn’t why I am writing. After years of hearing you talk about Montalcino, I got to see that beautiful village atop the hill. Bought my first bottle of Brunello, which I will save for a special event and in the mean time will drink plenty of Rosso.
    Just wanted to say thanks for sharing this little Tuscan gem with all of us.

8. Patti Wilson says:

I will be leaving for italy on Feb 12 and will
    be visiting Venice, FLorence and Rome.
    I am on a budget unfortunately, so, any advice
    on inexpensive eating places or tips would
    be appreciated!! Always appreciate atmosphere
    in addition to good food.