garlichome.jpg
How to cook like an Italian

What to have on hand:Garlic

If you are serious about becoming an Italian cook, you don’t need to be from Italy. You have to instead act as an Italian would and invite anyone and everyone you know into your kitchen for a home cooked meal, night after night. Everyone enjoys the language of food, especially when cooked from the heart and with the freshest and simplest of ingredients. It’s really that easy. But first, you must have a few essential items on hand at all times or else the evil eye might get you!

1. GARLIC

garlichome.jpg

If you don’t have this ingredient in your house, and not only in your house, but on your counter-top, in a bowl, right by your stove, then get out now. Stop reading this blog and run, don’t walk, to the store and grab at least 3 big bulbs. Shame on you for having no garlic around! What kind of Italian are you?! We practically bleed this stuff.

I can still smell Sunday mornings in my house when I would wake up as a child to the smells of garlic and onions simmering away in olive oil on the stove, just waiting for my mom to dump in freshly chopped tomatoes, meats and basil, or as we called it, “basilico.” To be exact, my Italian friends, pronounce it baa-SIL-i-co. My Sicilian friends pronounce it buzzleego. But I digress. The garlic had such a strong aroma that it was probably the one thing that would lure me out of my bed and into the kitchen. Once the red sauce was simmering, my dad and I would steal tastes all day long by grabbing a hunk of semolina bread and dunking it right in the pot for a mouthful of heaven. If I was lucky enough to help my mom prepare the sauce, I would love to smash the garlic on the counter-top and chop away, leaving the evidence on my fingers all day long with that familiar smell. To this day, that smell and gasoline are the two I wish I could bottle and wear around like perfume.

HOW TO SMASH GARLIC LIKE AN ITALIAN:

Rachael uses the back of a frying pan. I like that. It’s good and it gets the job done. But the pans are too heavy for me, so I do the same thing but with the bottom of a metal cup. Don’t use glass or ceramic because it will break after one too many smashes. You could also put the back of a knife on top of a clove and press down hard and it will have the same effect-the garlic will slip out of its skin and onto your cutting board. If you do it this way, make sure you use the bottom most part of the palm of your hand and dig into the side of the knife. Also, use the end of the knife closest to the handle or else you might snap the knife in half. Make sure you hold the knife steady with you other hand too. Here is your desired position:

smashgarlic.jpg

HOW TO STORE GARLIC

Like a good Italian, I cook with alot of garlic. So storing it for me is not an issue. It sits on my counter-top in a ceramic bowl with a little lid. Kind of looks like Pooh’s honey pot. You don’t need to have a jar with a lid, but since this one is not airtight, it’s okay. Don’t use Tupperware or wrap it in plastic because it needs to stay sort of dry and has to breathe, like you and me. Don’t suffocate the garlic! I use this garlic so quickly that it doesn’t stand a chance of rotting. If you add it to olive oil for some reason (I think this was a trend in the 80s), you must put it in the fridge. I wouldn’t recommend doing this because if you want to mix garlic and oil together, just do it when you want to use it. If you are growing garlic and you really have too much to use yourself (I can’t even imagine this concept) then give it away to your friends and tell them to read this blog on how to cook like an Italian.

WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU DON’T HAVE ANY GARLIC IN THE HOUSE OR CAN’T EAT IT?

First of all, never admit this to ANYONE! Pretend you have loads of garlic all over your house. In fact, you have a necklace made of garlic bulbs, you love it so much. But between you and me, if we are really keeping a secret and you really don’t or can’t use garlic, you can try, sometimes, to replace garlic with shallots, green onions or scallions. They’re all from the same famiglia. Some people also find they like garlic scapes but not the garlic bulbs. I can’t understand any of this.

COOKING WITH GARLIC

One tip I have that I learned from experience is how to keep garlic from burning. Instead of heating your EVOO in a pan and then adding the garlic, add your EVOO to the pan with the heat off, add the minced garlic and then turn the heat on and let it warm up slowly. If you do heat your oil first, don’t let it get screaming hot and then add the garlic or it will immediately burn. Some people like the flavor of burnt garlic, but not me. It’s safer to let the oil warm up slowly and let the garlic cook slowly. Also, keep in mind that garlic cooks quickly so if you are cooking onions and garlic, for example, let the onions cook first for 5 or so minutes, then add the garlic, which only needs about 3 minutes to cook.

Some people don’t want to be eating whole cloves of garlic in their pasta, but they love the flavor. Try what Rachael does-she takes a clove and grates it using a microplane. This is especially handy for dishes that don’t cook very long as the grated garlic just melts into the pan.

SOME OF MY FAVORITE RACHAEL RAY RECIPES USING GARLIC

Now that you are on your way to becoming a true Italian, here’s how you use this glorious bulb called garlic.

rabesalami.jpg

Broccoli Rabe and Salami Pasta (pictured above)

Roasted Garlic, Feta and Walnut Dip

Spaghetti Aglio Olio

Garlic Bread

Broccoli with Garlic and Asiago

Spaghetti with Pancetta, Escarole and Garlic Chips

Wilted Escarole with Garlic, Lemon and Oil

Spaghetti with Zucchini and Garlic

Warm Wild Mushrooms and Roasted Tomatoes

Stay tuned!  Next up….can you guess?  Olio!

10 Responses to “What to have on hand:Garlic”

1. Sandy Edwards says:

what was the procedure on 6/20/08 program, to remove fat without liposuction?????
    thanks
    sandy

2. AMPlifier says:

I tried the spaghetti with zucchini last night and LOVED IT! Couldn’t have been more delicious or easy to make. Thanks for sharing your recipes! :)

3. Angela Oliva says:

We are a couple aged 80+. We take NO medications. Our friends look at us in wonder and ask our secret. First, we are Italian! And the secrets are: extra virgin olive oil, garlic and lots of it, and a small glass of wine with some dinners which are good companions with wine. Simple, easy, healthy, and we spend Social Security on food rather than medication!!

4. bella says:

VIVA LA SICILIA E TUTTI GLI SICILIANI

5. Annalisa V says:

On your comment about basil being the scent of purfume. There is a household cleaning product by Mrs. Meyers. You can find them @ http://WWW.MRSMEYERS.COM. Or @ 1-877-865-1508. You will not regret it. Enjoy!!!

6. Mary Ann says:

I grew up in an Italian family. Basil,garlic and olive oil were staples that I grew up with and when I got married they were staples in my home.There is nothing like picking a tomatoe and basil from the garden-cutting them up in a bowl with sliced onion, salt and olive oil. Add slices of italian bread and you have a delicious lunch or side dish!

7. Helen Bagnall says:

Rachel, Do you have a recipe for a dish using zuccini and eggs. My sister-in-law called it – something like – cocitzeel??? Would live to make it. Thx.

8. my grandmother,MAMA and grandfather.PAPA were born in Sicily, PAPA Angelo came to NEWARK, NJ AND THEN SENT FOR mama ROSA, she came by boat. she tells the story THEY SAT IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOAT THE VOYAGE took one month, SHE WRAPPED CHEESE AND ITALIAN BREAD IN CLOTHS, MAMA MADE ALL THIS HERSELF WITH THE HELP OF HER MOTHER MAMA CARMA it took them months to prepare for this trip MAMA had three small children UNCLE CHARLIE, AUNT JENNIE AND AUNT MILLIE and PREGNANT WITH MY MOTHER IGNAZIA,(EMMA),MAMA LEFT HER PARENTS IN SICILY. THEY made it to NEW YORK THROUGH THE ROUGH SEAS. ABOUT ONE YEAR LATER THEY MOVED TO THE FIRST WARD,IN NEWARK NEW JERSEY, PAPA made a wooden push cart walked through the streets selling LEMONS AND GARLIC,CHANTING “LEM-me-ONES” “LEM-ME-ONES” everyone knew PAPA people would come out of their houses to see the “GARLIC KING” him with his beautiful ReDDISH hair. PAPA WAS KNOWN AS “THE GARLIC KING” he supported 12 children, then sent for his parents and MAMA’s PARENTS AND ALL LIVED AT 119 8th. Avenue, NEWARK, NJ. He had no choices you see when he came to America the first time some bad men in Sicilia dymamited and blew up his sulfer mines. HE TOOK CARE OF THEM IMMEDIATELY AND RAN BACK TO AMERICA SENT FOR MAMA AND HIS SISTER AUNT MILLIE (with the REDDISH HAIR) THE TRENTO’S WERE Born,here in NEWARK, NEW JERSEY. He purchased a 6 family tenament, everybody lived together. NOW IN 2008 families remembering know PAPA ANGELO AND REMEMBER HIM PUSHING HIS WOODEN CART. SO RACHEL I live ON GARLIC AND LEMONS. THATS WHY NOW WHEN I GET A LEMON “I MAKE LEMONADE” ha ha and I use GARLIC LIKE WATER JUST ASK ME HOW???? GARLIC AND LEMONS ARE MY HERITAGE…all the sisters and their children are GARLIC AND LEMON LOVERS.

9. Michela says:

I’m Italian. I live in Northern Italy. I like Rachel’s show that I watch whenever I’m in the States, and I can recognize the Italian inspiration in her way of cooking, However, in Italy , we do not love garlic that much: in fact, we toss it before serving any dish.
    Just watch Italian cooking TV shows: you won’t easily spot a cook grating garlic.
    Microplane graters are for lemon zest, parmigiano, ginger, nutmeg…
    I do like garlic bread, the way my dad sometimes did: with Italian bread, sliced ½” thick, slightly dipped in EVOO (he used to pour a little olil on a salad plate and rub it off with the bread), broiled until crisp (just a couple of minutes), and then rubbed with a garlic clove. Fantastic with a simple bruschetta made with diced tomatoes “marinated” for a few hours in EVOO, garlic colves and basil. It goes without telling, before serving I pitch the garlic cloves….

10. elaine says:

i love garlic and i’m a cokeaholic, so of course i had to try powdered garlic in my coke. it tasted good, but the garlic wouldn’t really mix, it just floated on top. i’m Swedish, but i use tons of garlic in just about everything i cook