The Cleaning Lady

Baking Soda, an essential cleaning tool

I happen to notice recently that each box of baking soda, depending on the brand, has a different list of uses.  If you look at them all, you realize this is one impressive box of powder! I couldn’t begin to explain to you why this mineral does what it does, but I can give you examples of what it does:

Baking Soda can put out fires.  Remember in grade school you made the handy fire safety kits?  I had to take a coffee can and fill it with non other than baking soda and was told to keep it by the stove in case something caught on fire.  Throwing baking soda on the fire would put it out (apparently).  I can’t recommend this as a serious fire extinguisher, but it’s a good thing to know, just in case.

Baking soda can be fun! Baking soda and vinegar, especially when mixed with food coloring, make a great fake lava fall or a witches’ brew for kids who like to make some fun in the kitchen!

Baking soda is a natural way to clean and disinfect many items.

Your mouth.  Recently I was visiting my dentist who was telling me about the best way to keep my gums clean.  She said to keep a box of good ole’ baking soda handy in the bathroom and mix it with water or hydrogen peroxide to make a paste.  Use the paste and brush my teeth and gums with it, swish it around with some water and rinse out for a clean and effective mouthwash.

Your tub or sink. Ever look at the side of a can of sink scrubbing powder?  It’s scented baking soda.  Take regular baking soda, sprinkle it on your sink or tub and scrub away.

Laundry. If you throw 1/3 cup of baking soda in your wash cycle, it will help your laundry detergent work better, help eliminate odors, and soften fabrics.

The fridge. We all know a box of baking soda in the fridge will help eliminate odors, and it will.  So will a sprinkle on your rugs or on your furniture or even in your litter box.  Baking soda will help eliminate the odors in the rug and furniture and will also help absorb the spill.

Fruits and Veggies.  I like this idea of cleaning veggies without harsh soaps.  You  just mix a little bit with water and scrub the fruits and veggies and rinse them clean.

Your bod.  Sprinkle a little baking soda into your bath tub for a relaxing soak that also lifts off oil and dirt from your body.  Ever get one of those fizzy bath balls?  Look at the ingredients next time and I bet you’ll see sodium bicarbonate!

31 Responses to “Baking Soda, an essential cleaning tool”

1. sara says:

هاي انا ساره من فلسطين القدس انا حابه برنامجك كتير ريشل بموت بضحكتك كتير

2. sara says:

ازا ممكن تعطيني ايميلك لحتى اقدر احكي معك

3. Jessica says:

Hey, it is also good to pour in your sink drain then pour vinager over it…it will help smells and help to unclog the drain in kitchen, bathroom or anywhere.

4. Luciana says:

It also can be used to help control de odor of underarms. In the shower, scrub lime squeezing de juice and put some baking soda over. Leave for 5 minutes, and rinse well. Repet for couple days as necessary.

5. Connie says:

There is one more thing you can use baking powder on. Many years ago I was told to make a paste of bakiing soda and a little water and use this on top of my stove to remove stuborn spots. IT WORKS! It is nonabrasive.

6. John Parmater says:

Can I use to clean my car? How about my car engine? How about my garage floor? How about my lawnmower? WIll it make my basement smell better? Can I put it directly on my cat?

7. Suzanne says:

I have another great use for baking soda.
    If you get Poison Ivy or Oak on your skin, then make a paste with baking soda and water or vinegar, apply to affected area and allow to dry. (You’d better sit over a tub or outside because soda will begin to fall off and make a mess on your floor otherwise).
    Then take a washcloth, wet with hot water and scrub your skin very hard.
    The baking soda will cause the poison to rise back to surface of the skin and the scrubbing will help remove it and skip the blister stage.
    The baking soda also stops the itching.
    This method needs to be repeated every 12 to 24 hours for 2 to 3 days.

8. olivia says:

a paste of baking soda and water takes all the old gunky coffee stain off your coffee pot or carafe.

9. Brenda says:

Another good use for baking soda: make a paste using a little water with the baking soda, take a damp cloth, put a little of the baking soda paste on the cloth and scrub the bugs off of the front of your car and windshield. Then wash the car as usual. Works like a charm?

10. Brenda says:

Pour some baking soda in your garbage disposal and add a couple handfuls of ice cubes. Run the disposal for a few minutes and it will make it smell much better!!

11. Tina says:

If you get stung by a bee or other stinging bug you can make a paste of baking soda and water and apply it to the sting and the paste makes the sting go away!!!

12. Pam says:

Baking soda can be mixed with a little water or vinegar and poured on your car’s battery terminals to remove all that gunk. Also freshens baby bottles or plastic glasses that have had sour milk in them – fill with water and add baking soda. let stand overnight.

13. Michele says:

Effective to clean tray of high-chair which can get quite stained (as well as other baby items).

14. Loretta says:

I keep a shaker container of baking soda on my sink and use it for getting burnt or food stuck to bottom of pans. Just add hot water with a little baking soda, soak for 1 or 2 minutes. It is also good to make a paste and rub of old grease spots on baking sheets or bottom of pans. Rub and wham, most of it is gone.

15. Kristin says:

Another great use for baking soda…facial scrub. I use Cetaphil cleanser and a shake of baking soda to scrub of dry flaky skin. Works great and is so much cheaper than any other scrubs out there!

16. Beth says:

I use baking soda to remove chlorine from my hair after swimming. I make a paste with baking soda and shampoo and rub it into my hair. If you leave it about 10 minutes, you’ll smell the chlorine leaving. Then, I rinse it out and shampoo and condition normally. My hairdresser said she turned a platinum blond’s chlorine-green hair back to platinum with this treatment. It’s way more effective than the chlorine shampoos.

17. Ashley says:

does anyone have an all purpose liquid cleaner recipe with baking soda?

18. Carol Kahoun says:

I had the iron to hot and my fabric stuck to the iron,I made a paste with water and baking soda and it came clean,also it cleans the steam holes.

19. Wendy says:

Rachel have you ever used the simple human soap dispenser? Its great you will never cross contaminate in you kitchen again. You must try this. You never have to pick up a bottle of dishsoap again. Just put you hand under the dispenser and just the right amount of soap is dispenced. A MUST in the KITCHEN

20. ananya says:

by using water & baking soda(1:3) rub on silver…by using this u can polish silver.

21. ananya says:

by using baking soda u can clean carpet.mix with water & sprinkle & work & vacume, its clean.

22. ananya says:

make a paste of baking soda & rub on blackhead …u will see…its gone

23. Olga says:

Thanks for all the great tips. I didn’t know that baking soda was the base of so many every day products. I clean a bar/grill business on a regular basis and love the tips for cleaning. Thanks!!!

24. Kacy says:

When you have burnt something in a pan just put enough water in the pan to cover the burnt area plus a couple tablespoons of baking soda. Place back on the stove and bring to a boil. The burn will lift right off.

25. Kacy says:

Baking soda and epsom salts makes a great detox bath soak. Use hot water and soak, then wrap yourself in towels and sweat some more.

26. TIM GURLEY says:

Hi Rachael

Do you now how easy it is to make vinegar,and it is

better than you can get at the store

you take one qt of apple cider 5pounds of sugar

one yeast cake to 5 gallons of water take about

3 weeks stir every day I have used baking soda for

years it is good for cleaning off batters in your

car, good for cat litter box. I made 65 gallons of

viengar last year Me and my Wife do a lot of canning

TIM

27. Nishat says:

i used baking soda to wash my face. it removes oil and blackheads from the skin. it also makes my face very soft.

28. Jimme says:

A teaspoon of baking soda in a glass with about 4 – 8 oz of water works well for heartburn.

29. JC says:

If you have a front loading washer (mine does not have a dispenser for powdered anything, only liquids), do you put the baking soda directly on the clothes? with the soap? or in the bleach compartment?

30. Barbara says:

If you have stained or sticky Tupperware. Make a paste of Baking Soda & Water. Rub on Tupperware let stand overnight. Tomorrow using a damp cloth rub the Tupperware gently and you will have a clean & clear (like new) piece of Tupperware. I use this all the time & it’s like a miracle!!

31. marbella says:

If your little one has diaper rash, but 1/2 baking soda in bath and let them splash around….Heals pretty fast.