Rach
by

Lactose Intolerant?

Today I saw this blog post:

Dear Rach,

I enjoy eating Italian food but I have found out that I am lactose intolerant and most have cheese in the dish. Can you give any recipe suggestions?

Thank you!

One of the producers at the talk show has that same issue, so I created these two recipes for her:

Chicken Eggplant Roll Salad
Ingredients:

• 1 medium-large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 8
  • 1 jar roasted red peppers
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded
  • 1 bunch basil, chopped
  • 2 hearts of romaine, chopped
  • Juice of 1 lemon

Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.

Drizzle or brush the eggplant slices with EVOO, season with salt and pepper and grill until tender, 2 minutes each side.

In a food processor, puree the roasted red peppers, balsamic vinegar, EVOO, salt and pepper and pour over the shredded chicken. Add the basil and toss to combine.
Divide the roasted red pepper-dressed chicken among the 8 slices of eggplant. Roll up the eggplant from the narrower end to fat, rounded end. Repeat with all eight slices and set aside.

For the salad, add the chopped hearts of romaine to a large mixing bowl and dress with lemon juice, EVOO, salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Serve the eggplant rolls on top of some of the romaine salad.

4 servings
Meat & Wild Mushroom Eggplant Rolls With Tomato Gravy
Ingredients:

• 1 medium-large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 8
  • 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
  • 1 pound ground meatloaf mix (equal parts beef, pork and veal)
  • 3 slices whole grain bread, toasted
  • 1/2 stick butter, divided
  • 1/4 pound wild mushrooms (cremini, portabella, and shitake), sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed from stem and chopped
  • 3 cups beef stock, divided
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste

Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.

Preheat a large, nonstick skillet over high heat, add about 1/4 cup of EVOO. Once a small amount of smoke starts to form above the surface of the pan, add the ground meat. Break up the meat as it cooks with the back of a spoon or wooden spatula and continue to cook until meat has completely browned.

While the meat is browning, toast the bread. After the bread is toasted, butter and chop it into tiny pieces and reserve.

Add the mushrooms to the skillet with the meat. Cook until golden in color, then add 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet along with the garlic. Let the garlic toast a bit, then add rosemary and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add the chopped-up bread and moisten the mixture with 1/2 to 1 cup beef stock to make it moist.

Divide the mushroom-meat mixture among the slices of grilled eggplant. Roll each eggplant slice up around the mixture from the narrower end to fat rounded end. Repeat with all eight slices.

To a medium saucepan melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Add the flour and cook for about 2-3 minutes, then add the tomato paste and cook for 1 more minute. Whisk in the remaining beef stock and cook 5-6 minutes, to allow the stock to thicken. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and spoon the gravy over the top of the eggplant rollups to serve.

4 servings

16 Responses to “Lactose Intolerant?”

1. AnnMarie says:

My daughter is also lactose intolerant, but she also had issues with tomatoes. We found that organic tomato sauce works for her and she can finally have pasta again

2. Ali says:

my grandmother is a cook and her food does not taste that good like yours Rachael. What should I do?

3. Ali says:

my grandmother needs your cook book and we don’t come to see your show but we do watch it on TV but she needs that cook book so she could cook something different. What should I do Rachael?

4. cecilia says:

hi rachael
    my name is cecilia harrop and i am a big fan of yours i have seen. you on the food net and now on your show and i have been trying some of your food out on my so to be husbnad and my friends. and i also work in the moorestown. where you came to last year for your book. signing and i missed you and i like to meet you soon.

5. cecilia says:

also my so to be husband works at a pasta factroy and he broght home some choloate pasta and i would like some help with that thank you and your dog is a cutie and i. have two cats a gril and boy.

6. Kelly says:

Hey Rach
    Im am a college student who is looking for ideas for meals that are easy to prepare,don’t require an oven(because my oven is so small a cookie sheet doesn’t fit in it) and of course since I am a college girl, cheap and Yum-O! Any tips or ideas? Thanks Rach can’t wait for the next concert!

7. Angela says:

Hey Rach:

For years, cow’s milk gave me asthma attacks. I found out that sheep and goat have a different chemical make-up. I have no problem consuming either of them. there are so many great varieties out there! I’m cheesy again!

8. Jean says:

Rach,
    Will you please develop some DIABETIC recipes for those of us who need it badly?
    Love your show and don ‘t miss a day, thanks for all you do to help us old folks. =)

9. mom of 4 boys says:

I too have suffered with lactose intolerance for 10 years. Here’s a tip: Costco sells vanilla soy milk 12 1QT containers per box. I like the taste. It’s about $12 per case. Very cost effective.
    Also try using Lactaid capsules and beano. GNC sells a papaya extract. They are chewables and taste great! Of course check with your doctor first before taking anything.

10. carol martin says:

Rachel,

I just bought your dog food and I want to tell you that my dog loves it! She really prefers table food (i know i am bad), but she gobbled this up. I was amazed.

I love your show.

Carol

11. Ash says:

In response to the question answered above, I am also lactose intolerant and there are a variety of brands in grocery stores which are lactose free and are in the same price range and regular cheese. I would recommend using those with basic Italian recipes.

12. S- says:

Just FYI, the Meat & Wild Mushroom Eggplant Rolls With Tomato Gravy recipe includes butter which is a no-no for someone who is lactose intolerant.

13. Chris says:

I love watching your shows. I have Celiac disease. Do you know of any good gluten free meals?

14. Julie says:

My youngest daughter is lactose intolerant as is my boyfriend. We tried the lactaid milk..bad idea. I have found a lot with cooking i can get by with 1/2 C or less of 1% milk. if the recipe calls for more we limit the amount of food consumed by both, or i don’t use that recipe. 8th continent soy milk is awesome, but the vanilla flavor isn’t good for cooking with. Just don’t try to make instant pudding with it. The pudding won’t set up.

15. Susan says:

Dear Rachael Ray,
    I am writing you on behalf of my sister Angela, she recently fond out that she has Celiac Disease, this means that she is allergic to all gluten products, she has two small sons and they too have this condition. Every holiday we as a family gorge ourselves on my moms home made orange rolls, this year for Thanksgiving and Christmas Angela and her sons will not get to enjoy this family tradition and I was hoping that with your help we could get a great bread dough for her that is gluten free. We have tried quite a few recipes and to tell the truth they were really bad, also a lot said that they were gluten free but when I showed them to Angela she said that they still had gluten in them. Please help!
    Thanks,
    A loving little sister.

16. cc says:

try a couple cornish hens, w/ potatoe wedges to fill out wings, etc.