lemons.jpg
The Cleaning Lady

The Benefits of Lemons

Using lemons to clean your house is another way to make your home environmentally- friendly and save money at the same time. Lemons smell good, are readily available and have a multitude of uses. They are also effective against most household bacteria. You can buy big bags of lemons at most warehouse stores to stretch your dollar even further.

Some ways you can use lemons to clean your home:

• Disinfect a wood chopping block or cutting board by rubbing a lemon slice across it – pour lemon juice straight on stubborn stains, let sit 10 minutes and wipe clean with water
  • Make a home made air freshener spritzer by dissolving 2 – 3 tablespoons baking soda in 2 cups hot water, add ¼ cup lemon juice, pour into spray bottle and spray into air
  • Make an air freshener by placing cut lemon slices in a bowl on your counter for a natural fresh smell; or place a few leftover lemon rinds in a pot of simmering water on the stove for a few hours to remove odors
  • Make a glass cleaner by mixing ½ cup lemon juice and 2 cups water in a spray bottle; you can also add ¼ tsp Murphy’s oil Soap
  • Remove hard water or rust stains – pour straight lemon juice on the stain, let it sit until the stain dissolves, rinse and repeat if necessary
  • Put a whole lemon peel down the garbage disposal to clean the disposal and freshen the whole kitchen
  • Mix 1 cup olive oil with ½ cup lemon juice and you have a natural furniture polish for wood – apply a thin coat with a soft cloth, let sit 5 minutes and buff with clean soft cloth (make a fresh batch each time you use it)
  • Cut a lemon in half and sprinkle with baking soda to clean surfaces, dishes and stains
  • Use lemon juice to clean and polish brass and copper
  • Dried lemon peels in a cheesecloth deter moths

19 Responses to “The Benefits of Lemons”

1. Kenneth Clarke says:

Any citrus rinds can be used as a ‘green’
    way of cleaning your disposal. Just cut
    the rind into 1/4″ strips and place in an
    airtight jar, which you’ll keep in your
    fridge. Once or twice a month, run your
    disposal and drop some of these strips
    down. The rinds will clean the blades of
    all the gunk and will release any remaining
    citrus oils to keep the disposal fresh smelling!

2. Kenneth Clarke says:

If you have any copper pots which need to be
    cleaned, try this trick: ketchup. That’s right. Just place some ketchup directly on
    the copper pot and allow to sit for 15 minutes or so. The acids from the tomatoes
    and vinegar will loosen the gunk, and then you can wipe it off with a paper towel. Rinse
    with water afterward. It’s a quick and easy tip I learned from a friend.

3. judy says:

nice and useful information.

4. Meaghan says:

i use a few drops of lemon on my left over dryer sheets. it refreshes them and leaves the laundry smelling great and feeling softer!

5. AngeleAlAahnaAn says:

I use fresh lemon and bottle lemon juice at night for my face to close and tighten my pores (just put in on your face at night before going to bed and rinse it off in the morning with juice water)and sometime I put it in my hair to highlighten it ( i sprinkle it where i want highlights and sit in sun or most of the time I do my yard work or jog) then i come back wash my hair and I have instant hightlights without the high cost of store brought items.

6. Joyce says:

Is there a way to get this in a printer friendly page?

7. my granndfather came to America from Sicily in the 1900′s. made a wooden cart with 2 wheels and walked trrough the streets of newark, new jersey and sold lemons and garlic bought a 3 story tenament building and raised 12 children.. America was his dream. were all successful and God loving. also mix 1/4 teaspoon of arm and hammer baking soda with 4oz of water 1/2 frwsh lemon juice drink heaer burn is gone. rosalie

8. drink mixture while its still fizzing watch how great you feel

9. Ashley says:

I love how everyone is going green and giving the best tips. I love baking soda and vinegar. Those clean great and it is really fun for the kids to watch the “explosion”.

10. What do you do with the small bits of bath soaps you have collected?

11. Tracey says:

take a piece of nylon(pantyhose) and put the pieces of soap in the nylon and tie it shut and you have a new bar of soap.

12. Monqiue says:

I have hardwood floors that I use murphy’s oil soap on and I wanted to see to give them a bit of a fresher smell if I could put lemon juice in with it without ruining the wood.

13. ananya says:

if ur frigde is smelly just cut the lemon & keep it in the fridge .the smell will be gone

14. ananya says:

for ink strain rub the lemi=on & keep for 5 min then wash it.

15. heidi says:

Thank you for this post! I’ve been embarrassed for years that I didn’t know the proper way to clean a cutting board… now I know lemons are the answer! :)

16. Holly says:

How do I clean my stamped concrete floors? I vacuum and use a dry cloth mop, any other suggestions?

Thank you!

17. Patricia Foo says:

Dear Cleaning Lady,

I’ve just recently brought leather sofa set. I would like to know ways of taking care such as polishing to maintain shine and ways of cleaning. The sales people saying that cannot use water to wipe as leather needs to be condition. Using water in long run will make the leather harder and cracking. Recommended by them to use cream/oil leather polisher for every 6 months. However, I find it expensive… I’m seeking your advice on alternative or better way in taking care leather and pvc as well.

18. Deidre says:

I remember a shoe shiner at the courthouse and he said the best way to keep leather from cracking was to use Vaseline. Iv’e tried and it keeps the leather soft and pliable. Give it a try,it couldn’t hurt.

19. Joyce says:

I’m also wondering where is the printer friendly link.