Rach
by

Fried Zucchini Flowers

I picked up some beautiful zucchini flowers at the farmer’s market near my apartment this past weekend.  You probably have them growing in your yard like crazy if you have a zucchini patch.  So I cooked up this new recipe:

• I stuck a cube of sheep’s milk mozzarella inside each flower(this was a treat I also found at the market-regular mozz will work too)
  • Then I dredged each flower in white flour,
  • then in a bowl of beaten egg and a splash of water
  • then in a cornmeal/breadcrumb mixture to which I added lemon zest and poppy seeds

I fried them in grapeseed oil (or use any good vegetable oil) over medium heat and when they browned, I put them on a plate with paper towel so they could drain for a few seconds.  I sprinkled fennel salt and pepper on the flowers and squirted lemon juice.  We ate them hot and in seconds flat-they are so delicious, easy, fast and they don’t taste anything like zucchini!

I can’t believe I didn’t take a picture!  Next time.

18 Responses to “Fried Zucchini Flowers”

1. Debi says:

Yum-O!!! I am off to the farmers market :)

2. Oh, I have wanted to try making this for a while now and ESPECIALLY since you have made it sound so simple to assemble. Hopefully you add some photos too of the finished treat!

As an artist, I always love to make things that LOOK pretty as well as taste scrumptious!

THanks for another wonderful recipe!
    -Kelly

3. Jennifer says:

Where can I find zucchini flowers? They don’t have them locally . . . :-(

4. christina says:

Rachael Ray Hi my name is christina Determann i am a mother of three kids.One that is 8 16 months and three month i hont have time so i love the quick meals. we are on a striced budget. can you send me some recipies that are budget friendly and fast. I cant afford your books or magizines or i would buy them. I have a kitchen that only one can fit into so it is hard do you have any organizing solultions can you help our family of 5. Thank you for you time. Your friend Christina

5. jocelyn says:

rachael! this sounds amazing(: So, anyways im new on here and i just LOVE your shows. I’ve been watching them ever since they started this year! im 15, and you are without a doubt my biggest Ro-model! I deffinantly hope to make it to one of your shows before I go off to college in a couple years and hopefully meet you too:)

6. Marcia says:

I have never tried fried zucchini flowers, but fried pumpkin blossoms are the thing here in the midwest! YUMMMMM!

7. Lisa Antao says:

hey, rachael ray, im Lisa Antao from Mumbai, India, i saw you a couple of times on Oprah winfrey show and instantly I became a fan of yours. I especially love your expression ” YUM-O” and your ‘u wont be single too long, vodka cream pasta’ . but sadly star world channel in India, doesnt show oprah anymore… its discontinued since last year … im so dissaponited… is there any way your show comes on star world in India ???

8. Jennifer Goodeaux says:

Hey Rachael. This comment is not about your recent blog, it’s just a way to communicate with you cuz I’m not too computer savey.
    My new husband and I were recently on our honeymoon in Mexico and were sitting in our Hotel room watching you (for the first time) on t.v. (cuz we were SICK, and couldn’t really leave the Hotel room very much, so we turned on the tube) and WE JUST LOVE YOU!!!!
    The thing is…I am 36 yrs.old and never really had to cook…never really WANTED to cook, therefore I DO NOT KNOW HOW, I do okay…but I would really just love to learn BASIC COOKING SKILLS and the rules you need to know in cooking. I have NO common sense in the kitchen, was more interested in GUY STUFF growing up. NOW I am married and have an automatic family, I am NOW a mother of 2. I now have a lil desire to learn how to cook, THE BASICS. Everyone wants to give easy recipes but I want to learn FROM SCRATCH ,so to speak, so why am I telling you this? Well, I couldn’t find a basic cook book (or DVD) from you and I was wondering if you have one or are coming out with one.

Desperate beginner COOK, Jennifer Goodeaux

9. Emma says:

that sounds AWE-SOME!!!!!!! ;)

10. bernadette says:

i have been eating them for years.love them to death. but if rachael is ever in town i would love to have her at my home to let me cook for her.not the best cook but we do ok.coming home from work and cooking right away is always a challange

11. Mary Ann says:

A recent article in our local paper said only to eat the male flowers (have the pistil, not the stamens) or you wouldn’t have any more zucchini (if you are growing them yourself). Otherwise….eat on, cap’en!

12. Mary Ann says:

o, and by the way, Rachel…you’re the best! Glad to see Spirit is getting better…

13. barbaracheeseman says:

i would like to say keep doing what ur doing rachael i love ur show.

14. jerry roller says:

i just wanted to say that i think you are really HOT. i watched your show today. you are funny, great with people. and you look great in jeans. thank you for the entertainment and the good food. keep up the great work.

15. Hi Rachael Ray,

I am Latha, Sri Lankan, living in Dubai . We are watching your show on MBC4. You are looking phenomenal and gorgeous. My husband and I love to see the programme very much. You are a genious in making food and also entertain the celiberties as well. Thank you for your time.

16. Hi Rachael Ray,

17. The zucchini sounds really yummy.

18. diane says:

Rach,
    these sound great! I have to try them. i have been eating zucchini flowers my whole life. my grandmother, then my mom and now myself just dip them in a bisquick mix (with egg and salt and pepper to taste) Fry them up and then sprinkle them with some grated cheese! all my friends think i’m nuts making these. they don’t know what they are missing.
    glad to hear you do not have to have surgery.
    best wishes for a very happy new year!