rrbobwinningwafflesblog
Rach
by

Excerpts from Rachael’s new book

My biggest book to date is in stores and available online now. Get your copy of Rachael Ray’s Big Orange Book today and while you are at it, buy an extra and give it to a lucky loved one!

This book is my answer to your requests-there are Meals for One, Vegetarian Meals, Kosher Meals, Holiday Meals, more 30 Minute meals and slow it down meals, plus a super touching, extra special section written by my mom, Elsa, the woman who started it all! When people ask me if I went to culinary school I tell them I went to the school of Elsa! She knows everything and has made me who I am today. Speaking of moms, my mother-in-law, Vicki Cusimano and her sister also helped create this chapter with some of their family classics as well.

Just for you, here are some sample recipes from the book.

BACON-WRAPPED CHICKEN WITH BLUE CHEESE AND PECANS

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves

Salt and pepper

1 cup blue cheese crumbles

½ cup toasted chopped pecans

2 scallions, sliced on an angle

4 slices of good-quality center-cut bacon

1 tablespoon EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 cup chicken stock

½ cup half-and-half or cream

2 tablespoons grainy mustard

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

Butterfly the chicken breast halves by cutting horizontally across the breast but not all the way through. Open the breasts up like a book and pound them lightly between sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Peel away the paper and season the meat with salt and pepper.

Cover the seasoned chicken cutlets with blue cheese crumbles, pecans, and scallions in equal amounts. Roll the chicken around the filling, then wrap each roll with a strip of bacon, securing it with a wooden toothpick. Season the outside of the rolls with pepper.

Heat the EVOO in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken rolls and brown evenly all over, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook the chicken for 10 minutes, or until cooked through.

When the chicken is almost done, melt the butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute, then whisk in the stock. Cook for a minute to thicken, then whisk in the half-and-half and mustard, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low.

Serve the halved chicken rolls with the red wine rice and savory Swiss chard. Pour the gravy over the top.

Serves 4

SMOKY TOMATO SOUP WITH MINI GRILLED GRILLED CHEESE AND BACON SAMMIES

1 tablespoon EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)

4 slices smoked bacon, chopped

3 garlic cloves, chopped

1 onion, chopped

3 celery stalks, chopped

2 carrots, chopped

Salt and pepper

4 cups chicken stock

½ teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano

1 (28-ounce) can crushed
fire-roasted tomatoes, partially drained (if you only have diced or whole fire-roasted tomatoes, don’t sweat it; it all gets ground up later)

1 teaspoon sugar

2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika, ²⁄³ palmful

¼ cup heavy cream

Butter, for the skillet

16 slices of party-size rye, pumpernickel, or whole wheat bread, such as Pepperidge Farm

8 square slices of extra-sharp cheddar cheese, ¼ inch thick

3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives

cups (a single-serving bag) white cheddar popcorn

“Sammie nights are always fun; this one brings out the little kid
in me.”-Rach

Heat the EVOO in a medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped bacon and cook until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the crispy bacon to paper towels to drain and reserve for the mini grilled cheese and bacon sammies.

To the same pot, add the garlic, onions, celery, and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Scoop the veggies into a food processor, add about ½ cup of the chicken stock and the marjoram, and puree until smooth. If the tomatoes you are using are whole or diced, add them to the processor with the veggies and puree.

Return the pureed veggies to the pot, place back over medium-high heat, and add the remaining chicken stock, the crushed or pureed fire-roasted tomatoes, the sugar, and the smoked paprika. Bring the soup up to a bubble, stir in the cream, and keep warm over low heat while you make
the sammies.

Heat some butter in a large skillet over medium heat. While the butter is melting, lay 8 of the bread slices on a cutting board. Top each one with a slice of cheese, a sprinkle of the reserved bacon, some chives, and another slice of bread. Transfer 4 of the mini sammies to the hot skillet and cook until the sandwich is toasted on both sides and the cheese is melted. Repeat with the remaining 4 sammies.

Serve the smoky tomato soup with some popcorn floating on top and the grilled mini grilled cheese and bacon sammies alongside.

Serves 4

WINNING WAFFLES

Savory Waffles with Paprika Sausages

Eggs with Peas and Shallots

Because I do not bake, I always have to borrow baking powder and baking soda from my neighbors. I measure everything with my morning coffee cup and the teaspoon that I stir my first cup with. Even if you bake and have legit measuring devices on hand, you might want to refrain from using them because these waffles rule, but only if you make them my way. Serve with lingonberry syrup.

Savory Sour Cream–Chive
Waffles and Paprika Sausages

1 cup lingonberry preserves

A couple of whole cloves

1 cinnamon stick

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

cups all-purpose flour

teaspoons baking powder

teaspoons baking soda

¼ teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons sugar

A little freshly grated nutmeg

¼ cup chopped fresh chives

1 cup milk

1 cup sour cream

2 large eggs

4 tablespoons melted butter

1 pound ground pork, chicken, or turkey breast

2 teaspoons fennel seeds

2 teaspoons paprika

A handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped

1 tablespoon grill seasoning

1 tablespoon EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)

Preheat a waffle iron, and preheat the oven to 200°F.

Warm the preserves in a saucepan with the cloves, cinnamon, lemon juice, and ¹⁄³ cup water over low heat. Remove the cloves and cinnamon stick and discard. Set the syrup aside.

Mix the dry ingredients and chives in a mixing bowl and make a well in the middle. Mix the milk, sour cream, eggs, and half the melted butter together in a bowl, then pour into the well. Beat the wet ingredients into the dry with a few swift turns, but do not overmix the batter.

In a medium bowl mix the ground meat with the fennel, paprika, parsley, and grill seasoning.

Brush the waffle iron with a little of the remaining butter and cook the waffles, keeping the finished waffles warm and crisp in the oven. The batter should fill a 4-section iron 3 times, making 12 waffles.

While the waffles cook, form eight 2- to 3-inch sausage patties. Heat the EVOO in a large skillet. Add the patties to the hot skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.

Serve 3 waffles and 2 sausage patties per person, with lingonberry syrup drizzled over the top.

Serves 4

Eggs with Peas and Shallots

2 tablespoons butter

1 large shallot, very thinly sliced

8 eggs

Salt and pepper

1 package Boursin cheese

1 cup frozen green peas, thawed

Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until softened. Whisk the eggs with the salt and pepper and add to the skillet with the shallots. Stir in the crumbled Boursin and peas, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the eggs are firming up but not yet dry. Serve immediately.

Serves 4

34 Responses to “Excerpts from Rachael’s new book”

1. MabelandMe says:

Hi Rach ~ After I voted I raced to buy your Big Orange Book!! It is awesome and have already planned some Thanksgiving meals out of it. Thank you for the love you and your family have put into each recipe. I have to tell you a funny story. I kind of pitched a fit in the store yesterday where I bought it — as they felt it was okay to put their huge round sticker in the right corner of the book – plastered compeltely over your face. I told them a piece of my mind on how I thought covering the face of the author was not COOL!!! I have since wrote the chain and told them that as well… Whatever I can do for you Rach! LOL Happy Thanksgiving!
    xoxo,
    Deb

2. Tonya says:

Hi Racheal!! I just love your show whenever I get a chance to watch it. I am not someone who likes to cook or can cook good, but when I watch your show, the dishes that you make look so good and easy, it makes me feel like cooking. Well, anyway I watched and episode were you had the Back Street Boys on and their biggest fans. I just want to say in the 80′s the best boy group around was New Edition and Me and my sister and some more family and friends are their biggest fans. I am originally from Jonesbore AR and now living in Memphis, TN. We have went to every concert that New Edition has had in Memphis growing up, even up until now. I even have a towel that Johnny Gill gave me at one of the concerts and a Teddy Bear from another concert. My favorite in the group was Ronnie Devoe, but I love them all even Bobby Brown. I just wanted to write and let you know not to leave them out, because they were and still is the best boy group around.

3. Rose P says:

Hi Rachael ~ I bought your book yesterday too !!! WOW! It is a treasure… Thank you and I can’t wait to dive into the recipes!
    Sending a hug
    xoxo
    Rose

4. Jennifer B says:

Hi Rachael,
    I am a big fan since Food Network 30 Min Meals, I think I am a better cook today from watching your shows and I just want to say thank you. I don’t own any of your cookbooks yet but I want to start. Thank you for being a great teacher and role model.
    Jennifer Bellissimo

5. Kathy says:

Dear Rachael. I am a big fan of you, and I really enjoy watching your show.
    However, I am from Denmark (yes, your show is aired in tiny Denmark), and therefore I am not used to using cups and ounces for measuring. Would you consider giving measurements in both cups and kilograms / ounces and liters on your website and in your books? I have seen it done in cookbooks in English, and it makes it so much easier for a lot of people to benefit from your great recipes. Furthermore, I think it will open up even more markets for you :)
    Sincerely, Kathy from Denmark

6. kitty says:

mabelandme, Its best to order these kind of things online. Everything comes in clean and crisp. Just my thought.

7. Jennifer Cass-Favata says:

I just found out that you’ll be in my area for the BOB book signing. I’m looking into finding out the “rules” (obviously, I’ll be buying your book anyhow…) and hope that I don’t have to get a ticket well in advance as, although you’re in my area, it’s at least an hour drive for me and with kids, dogs, cats, oh! and a husband…lol…I don’t know that I can get there before the actual siging to reserve my spot. I send you positive energy and hope that all continues to go well with you. I never buy into rumors and knew in my heart that your throat issue was simply a glitch for you to work out. The best of everything to you. I am your age, have family that is from your neck of the woods and feel that, as a busy, dedicated homemaker, we share the same passion – feeding our loved ones with good, wholesome, delicious and nutritious foods – and love of course. And, from one Mom to the next…please – slow down. You only get to experience life once. Career, fame, wealth – all of what we dream of – once we get it (as I have since eliminated the “wealth” part of it by becoming a stay at home mom) is great. But I decided (and I know everyone’s decision is their own) to put my efforts into what will matter most in the future. Oh, sure, we want to PROVIDE well for our family, but FAMILY is first. And that’s what I have done. I quit my job and have spent many days crying wondering why I did such a thing (no – not because of bill collectors – lol) as being a stay at home mom is the most difficult and often unfulfilling job. No one says thank you at the end of the day and I don’t get a paycheck… But I know, down the road – whatever happens – good or bad – I OWN IT. I did it – they’re my kids and I was there. I am sure you have a strong family support network and plenty of family to rely on – nothing wrong with that. But I bet it’s a pretty accurate assumption that family is what keeps you going and is what makes you who are and proud of it. It’s all about the kids – the family – the doggies (as we have 2 and I know they are just like having more kids:)) and, in the end, knowing you were there. Not just making money and providing – but THERE. I love what you do – please continue – but for you – not for the contract. It’s all about FAMILY. Blessed Be, Rachael.

8. MabelandMe says:

Hi Kitty – yes you are probably right — The nerve of those stickers — covering Rachael’s face! LOL Make it a great day and remember to laugh!
    Oh and Rachael you so ROCK! Hope to see you in SO CAL!

9. MabelandMe says:

Okay, so today I moved all the round stickers over Rachael’s face on BOB – from ALL the copies they had on the shelves – I just put the sticker on the bottom of the cover- LOL – I know… I know… too much time on my hands…. (hee hee)

~ THE TIMES YOU IMPRESS ME THE MOST ARE THE TIMES YOU DON’T EVEN TRY ~

10. Stacy says:

Hi Rach,
    I just bought the Big Orange Book (BOB). I can’t wait to try the recipes in the Meals for One chapter. It’s exactly what I was looking for, as it’s challenging cooking for just one.
    Are you going to have any booksignings in the San Francisco Bay Area?
    Thanks,
    Stacy
    Walnut Creek, CA

11. Zahra Aljunied says:

Hi Racheal,
    I’m you long away fan from Singapore. Have you heard of Singapore? It’s a small island state in Southeast Asia – between Indonesia and Malaysia. Enjoyed your show so much, although we only got old episodes. As a working mom, I haven’t got much time to spend in the kitchen but you are an inspiration. Not sure when I can get your BOB – would love to have a signed copy if I can. Keep up your good work!

Thanks
    Zahra Aljunied
    Singapore

12. Clairissa says:

Hi Rach,
    I am your fan.last time i did search your recipes book at bookshop but did not find.At my place kinda hard to find your recipes book.I am Malaysian..

13. amy says:

hai!!! reacheal how r u…
    ur cooking very fantactic

14. Asmaa says:

hi rachel … how r u ?? i hope everything is ok with u ..am a big fan of u cuz u work soo hard to make us soo happy .. u inspire me . i am sudanese ., but i live in saudi arabia .. anyway take care & keep smiling :D

15. Jeanine says:

HI = )
    Does any one know if the BOB book tour is going to be in southern Cali? I really hope so!!

16. Josephine Sanges says:

Hi Rachel,
    I didn’t know where else to write this but I’ve noticed you’ve been having a lot of vocal trouble in the past year or so and I wanted to share my experience and information with you. I had polyps removed a few years ago with wonderful results. I only needed about a month or so of vocal rest and some voice therapy to fully recover. I know that would be really difficult with your schedule, but you’ve got to take care of your voice, especially when it’s so crucial to your livelihood! My surgeon is the best in the world. His name is Dr. Peak Woo and he’s affiliated with Mt Sinai hospital. Look him up on line and please consider seeing him. Another ENT told me that Dr. Woo is the best surgeon in the country, and I know it’s true. I’ve know some others who have had the surgery with less than positive results. I hope you don’t mind me contacting you this way. I just thought it’s way too important to ignore. All the best, Josephine

17. Marie-Eve says:

Hi Rachel,

I live in Canada and I am trying to find the BOB book. Can you please let me know where I can get it.
    My husband and I love all you receipes.

18. Gurcay Carka says:

Hı Rachel,

I live ın North Cyprus and ıts ımpossıble to fınd one of your books but ı would love to have one ı have a 2 year old so dont have much tıme for myself but ı never mıss your show uyou have excellent recıpes, brıllıant tıps and your cheerfulness makes everythıng seem better.

All the best Gurcay x

19. Bernice Fougere says:

Hi Rachel
    I saw you this morning on the View and you did a dish with spinach and noodles. I couldn’t find the recipe.Can you forward it?

Thanks

20. DIANE says:

I can’t tell you how wonderful you are!!! I just watched Brides of Harris County. Cried like a baby!!! People say celebraties only do good to make themselves look good. But you are so full of joy and no one could ask for a more wonderful gift. Thank you for sharing who you are and your heart with everyone who comes in contact with you……

21. Kim says:

Racheal Ray is the best i love her she is the happiest person on a all the time bases she makes me smile everyday and at least one laugh she is the best she puts so much good in the air. Cant say enough about her and don’t even know her….But she is simply the best…

22. Kerri says:

Hi Rachael,
    I know this is totally off topic but, I’m only 14 years old, but I always watch your show, it’s definetly my favourite show to this date. Anyways, I’ve always said to my mom I wanted to be a chef, but I really loved to be in front of the camera too. By watching you, I knew you could do both, so I’m hoping to be just like you when I get a little bit older, you inspire me to do what I love, and thank you for that!

23. Autumn Schumacher says:

Dear Rachael…
    This is a DYER pleed for help. I have called every cooking and department store in my area looking for your products and I come to a blundering halt! My mother is the biggest fan of yours and she loves to watch your show, when she is not running us kids around to practices and other various activities we participate in. All she has been asking for all year are your spatulas and when I find them online the shipping fees are equal value to the product. What I am asking is for a store that your line is featured in. You would be my hero Rachael!

Love,
    Autumn Schumacher
    (from a small town in nothwest Indiana)

24. Nandini says:

Hi Rachael
    I met you today at the Williams Sonoma store in Coolsprings mall, Tennessee for the Book signing.
    We stood in line for about 90 mins, excited and waiting to get a glimpse of you. We also tasted so many little samples of food from the Big Orange book while in line. They were all delicious and awesome, but they don’t compare to the wonderful feeling we experienced for about 25 seconds with you. We also got to take a picture with you.It was absolute joy, a wonderful pre-christmas gift that we will cherish forever. And you looked ravishing! So stunning, if I may say so. It was a treat to have your book. I will definitely use this book extensively. I have always loved your shows and the concept of 30 minute meals. I have imagined myself cooking for a crowd while trying out your recipes. I am from India, and try man of your recipes by adding spices. They taste awesome with the additions. You make cooking so easy and so much fun.
    And I love the garbage bowl idea of your’s(I think I even mentioned it to you today).I have been using it on my counter for years now!
    Keep cooking!
    Lots of love and warm wishes for the season…
    nandini

25. kathy says:

we love your show,have you ever made a red velvet christmas roll, would love to share the recipe if you would like it .

26. Anthony Pelli says:

Hi Rachael,
    I am a 65 year old male and widowed. I just want to tell you how much I like your show and really enjoy your recipies. There so easy. My family and friends also enjoy my cooking especialy the Racheal
    Ray burgers. They call me Mr. Rachael, I have your cookware and I really enjoy them too! I always enjoyed cooking even when my wife was here. You just make it more interesting and I thank you. God bless you. I would love to have your autograph picture (only if you have time).
    Thanks Rachael
    Wish you and John the Best of the Holidays

27. cali67 says:

Dear Rachael,
    Thankyou for writing The Big Orange Book! My husband knows I have loved your shows since your early days on food network, and now love your talk show. He bought your Big Orange Book for me for Christmas and I LOVE it! My son and I grilled the Gaucho burgers and your timing was right on the money! They were wonderful, and I have never grilled anything in my life! (Always let hubby do it)I have also made two of your other recipes, the Everything Salmon Burgers and the Beef with Beer and Mustard Mashed Potatoes all turned out perfect! My husband especially loves the burger section of your book! This book is truly the best cookbook I have ever owned. I have never had the recipes in others turn out like yours! Thank you again for sharing your knowledge with all of us “regular” folks out here! I’m excited about cooking dinner again!

28. Camelia says:

I received the new book for Christmas. On MLK day, my college roomies and their kids came over. I made the sammies with tomato jam. They were so great. Then tonight, I used the leftover jam as the sauce for a cheese pizza. It was SOOOOOO delicious.

I’m pretty excited about the small portions section as well. I’m single and it just seems cheaper to eat out every night. Unfortunately it’s not that healthy and I live in a small town–the options get pretty boring. Thanks to the book I’ve made a resolution to eat at home at least 3 nights per week.

29. Phoebe says:

Hey Rach, wanted to let u know that I got your book the day it came out and I must say I absolutely love it. I have made several of the recipes from it including the swedish meatballs which was a little different than one of your previous recipes and also I made the caccitore stoup which both were awesome. I have marked various recipes and have enjoyed Bob as I call it to. I asked my husband to bring your cookbook to me the other night so I could mark more for our shopping trip and he said what you want Bob. I laughed and said yes of course!! My only request which I am sure you will hate is could you consider putting nutrional info in your next book. I have many of your cookbooks and love them. Thank you so much for sharing all of these great recipes with us!!

30. Sharon Seidel says:

Hi Rachael

Greetings from Sydney, Australia! I watch your show every day and I really love that your recipes are simple to make and always tasty. I have downloaded several from the website and they are fast becoming favourite regular meals for me. I also really enjoy your bright positive outlook, there is nothing like a smile to make the day go better!

I have attempted to find your recipe books in Australia and they are not available here, so today I tried to purchase the Big Orange Book online, but unfortunately your website does not ship to Australia. I would love to be able to get my hands on a copy if this is at all possible.

Keep on smiling!

Sharon Seidel

31. CMW says:

Rach:
    I have MOST of your cookbooks and and I use them frequently. I also give to my friends as gifts HOWEVER….THANK you for putting Daisy Martinez back on TV!!!!!!!!!!! Daisy reconnected me to my culture’s food and energy. PLEASE keep her on the tube if at all possible.
    Thanks,
    C
    P.S. Can you some how find a way to get IsaBoo on the tube more often? IsaBoo reminds me of my old pitbull, Larry. My pitbull and I went to college together. He would ditch me on Thursdays, go to the frat parties and come home on Friday mornings in tome to go to school with me. Best dog I ever owned!

32. Paula says:

Hello Rachel,
    I was just watching your 30 min.show,I enjoy cooking while your show is on,even if I’m not making the same thing- you spark my creativity! During the “Gargantuan Gorgonzola meatball” episode with the creamed spinach mashed potato(great idea!),you mentioned a restaurant in NYC called Abeets spelling? My daughter just graduated as an art major from Florida State and her gift is a trip to the Big Apple (that’s what I wrapped up for her -the largest apple I could find).I am trying to compile a list of reasonably priced to cheap restaurants for her and her boyfriend to eat at during their stay.They are both artists but we don’t want them to starve. Could you recommend a great inexpensive Italian and Asian restaurant? Thanks so much
    ‘Love your show, Paula

33. Carrie says:

Dear Rachel Ray,

I have never written someone a letter or sent them an e-mail. I just wanted to let you know that you are an exceptional woman. I just saw the dog food commercial that you were in and you are a very beautiful woman. My husband has never cooked anything that you have made on 30 minute meal, but he just watches you. I found out recently that my brother in-law just watches you as well. You have a way about you that is so appealing to people and I hope that you understand the power that you seem to hold over men. I watch your show because I want to try your food, but you are a person that people do have a tendency to just watch. I wish you well and I do not mind my husband being mesmerized by you. Please keep cooking!

34. Trich says:

Hi Rachael,
    I love your show and on one of them you said, I don’t know if there is a devil I just what to tell you where to find your answer. Ezekiel 28:11-18.

I’m sorry if I upset anyone.
    God Bless