Emily Wyckoff

Holiday Tipping

The holidays are a time to show not just friends and family our appreciation and how much they mean to us, but people whose services we use all year round. Think about it…where would you be without your mail carrier, your babysitter, your hair dresser? I for one would be lost.  Here is a general guide to how much is suggested for holiday tips. I for one am cutting back on holiday spending this year, but I will make room in the budget for a small token of appreciation for those who help me all year. I plan on augmenting my small tips with a home made goodie like cookies, a coffee cake or candy.

Hair Dresser: Cost of one cut/service

House cleaner: One week’s wage

Babysitter: For a regular evening sitter, one-two night’s pay; for a full time sitter/nanny – one week’s pay.

Newspaper Deliverer: $10 – $20

Letter Carrier: A gift in value of $20 or less (per the US Postal Service). Coffee gift cards are popular.

Personal Trainer: Cost of one session

6 Responses to “Holiday Tipping”

1. Joanne says:

That’s a nice idea, augmenting the money with a homemade treat. It just seems more personal at the same time as we manage the budget.

2. Nia shanks says:

Gift certificates for a session with a great personal trainer is a wonderful gift idea. You could also look for gift certificates for fitness camps if the person you are giving the certificate to prefers to be with other people.

3. Kelly says:

Nobody mentioned another really imporant helper I also leave a tip for our trash collector. If it is the same guy every week (like mine) don’t forget to let them know we appreciate them too. Their job stinks (literally) but we really need them.

4. Marie says:

I really don’t understand this tradition, no one tips my husband who does web design, nobody gives me a holiday tip. I mean where would you stop, the pest control man, the pool guy, your fedex man, your fave sales people, your nail girl and on and on.
    I do however understand a babysitter because that is someone who you invite into your home and you have a real personal relationship with, but really the garbage man, gimme a break he is just doing his job.

5. Sue says:

I have ALWAYS given candy to out garbage man and mailman. What thankless jobs these people have. My uncle was a garbage man for years and always appreciated it when someone showed him a kind gesture. No one has ever tipped me or given me an extra anything during the holidays for my job and I don’t care. This is about giving, Not keeping score.

6. Janet says:

I always tip the garbage men…money and cookies for each one…and they always bring my garbage cans up to the garage door instead of letting them stay in the street and be knocked around by the wind…and they do this twice a week the whole year around!! You can tell who in the neighborhood tip…their cans are not left in the street either. The job is to dump the garbage and put the can down…they go out of their way and I appreciate it very much.