Rach
by

Good news about my throat!

Hey kids,
Thank you for all of your sweet notes and posts.  I have been touched with all of your well-wishes for my throat surgery, which was scheduled for this week.  For the past few weeks, my doctor has had me on an intensive new vocal therapy. Very serious stuff!  Well, all my hard work is paying off as they now think that the surgery can wait and may not even need to happen at all!  So although you won’t see me out there caroling in my snow boots, Christmas will not be a silent night for me! Thanks for all of your support-it has really meant alot to me to read your kind thoughts-and I hope you all have a great holiday and new year.

417 Responses to “Good news about my throat!”

1. Katie says:

Hi Rachael ~ Thank you for the update on your health on today’s airshow- I am so happy you are taking charge of your health by making smart lifestyle changes — which beats going under the knife any ole time! Although lifestyle changes can be a bit challenging — you will be a much happier and healthier person as a result of it. Stay focused and continue to manifest brilliance and you will! And our thoughts and letters and concerns are the least we can do to say thank you for all you do for us! I am proud of you Rachael and it is never too late to change your life. God Bless and may all your dreams be realized.
    Love you

2. Carrie says:

Watched your show today. So glad to hear you are going to try and avoid surgery. From what you said, I think you would greatly benefit from a wholistic approach to therapy. Please visit http://www.posturalrestoration.com and read about this technique. I am an Occupational Therapist who practices this philosophy in MN and am absolutely amazed at the results we get. Please take care and good luck with your therapy.

3. Satya says:

hey rach,
    im so glad about the surgery.Best wishes!
    i am 12 and i live in nz. i LOVE your shows.i try to watch them all!!

best wishes for the happy new year
    and the surgery
    lots of love
    Satya

4. Satya says:

ps. this morning i watched the episode where you got
    “squished”. i wanted to know how long ago the episode was shown in the united states?!?!?!

xoxoxoxo
    your nz fan
    satya

5. Satya says:

when i mean “squished” i mean for the breast cancer mobile van thing.

6. claudine says:

Rach I have had 2 surgerys on my throat I had ythe same thing right on my vocal cord surgery was easy but couldnt talk for 2 weeks after. it has been about 6 years sence my last surgery and no problem dont waste money on the weekly dr go get it out ya dont choke on food any more or start coughing for no reason. good luck

7. Ray B says:

My prayers are with you…..I would love to see a program dedicated to healthy throat remidiees and special herbs for colds. love and peace always

8. MJ says:

Dear Rach

Very glad to hear your good news about avoiding throat surgery. Good to avoid it if possible and develop good habits. So happy for you. Wishing you the very best always.
    It will be hard to change old habits and sometimes aggrevating but worth it. I think of Julie Andrews who had the best vocal habits but whose voice was changed after surgery. So in a way the fact that you can work on better vocal habits to get your voice better without surgery is very good news for you indeed. Either way nothing could change my being a fan of both of you.
    I have long wondered however, why noone close to you was suggesting vocal therapy for you (long before any buzz) and breathing exercises (including _no mouth breathing_) and your overall good vocal health especially for the kind of job you have and your particular habits (I do not mean anything bad by that statement). Its just that you have so many people that care about you, that you meet, ect. and as you said you can’t remember ever sounding any different, that I find it sad that it went on so long for you without anyone mentioning these things as possibilities for your health and well being. Even sadder and scarier for us normal folks ie non celebs not in the spotlight, that it went so long for you unmentioned. I think it is great that you put it on the show, not because of the gossips, but so the normal person is now more aware.
    Thank you, good luck, keep up the good work (I have watched your differnt shows from the beginning.)

9. Enrica says:

Hi Rachel! I am very glad to hear that you will be able to avoid having vocal surgery.
    I experienced nodes on my vocal cords when I went through a period of high stress. I was crying a lot and this made me lose my entire upper range ( I am a singer). Through vocal therapy from the best, my nodes went away and I regained my full range. I had to relearn how to speak at my normal range, with good posture.
    If you could vsualize: the vocal cords are like elastic bands that vibrate and ripple closely together as air passes to create speech; they don’t touch, though. When we speak gutterly, go “uhm, uhm” to clear our voices, laugh in a way which is “rough” we are basically banging and rubbing these bands together….. they don’t like that friction and because of this friction, for which they were not meant to withstand, they get inflamed and build “calouses” or nodes, which make it harder to speak at all.
    I had to “yawn-sigh” and learn to speak with more air passing through the bands, so they wouldn’t get as close together as in usual speech, thereby reducing any friction or threat thereof. In this way, the nodes had no reason to remain…. it’s kind of like someone who plays the guitar… the person’s fingertips build up calouses to deal with the constant friction and pressure on them…. no more guitar playing, no more calouses.
    I am a Registered Nurse and a Health Teacher. I hope this info helps you. Enrica

10. Meri says:

Hey Rach – That is SO awesome that you are doing alternative therapy rather than surgery!

BREATHE DEEP — STAND TALL– AND MANIFEST HEALING !!
    You will make it happen – you can make anything happen!!

Love and Light
    Meri

11. Kelly says:

Hi Rachel,

I love watching your show and want to tell you that I too have something similar to what you are going through with your throat. I was told that I needed to stop talking for about seven to ten weeks. I am a police officer and that could not happen. Until my nodules in my throat build up callouses, they will not do surgery. They say if they do surgery there is very limited chance I will feel better, it could get worse. I have been through the vocal therapy too. Its hard work but keep working at it because it does pay off in the end. Remember to listen to everything the speech therapist says and follow her advice because they really do know what they are talking about. I am a product of not listening to my therapist, I gave up with the speech classes, because it didn’t fit my lifestyle. Every day I pay because I can barely talk because my throat is so sore. Best wishes to you and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

12. Puja says:

Hi Rachel,
    I am a Speech Therapist and I used to feel that your voice seemed hoarse and breathy. So I decided to check your website and I did find out that I was right. Well, I am sending some preventive tips ..and while you do your show, please please wear an amplifier so you do not have to strain your voice. It has a head band and you will look stylish.
    Some good preventive practices include:
    ….wear an amplifier with a mic to speak softly
    —-sip water every 15 minutes of taking.
    * Properly using the voice to eliminate strain

* Avoiding screaming and loud talking

* Speaking in a normal range that is comfortable

* Not whispering or speaking at a higher or lower pitch than is natural.
    – Do abdominal breathing and not chest breathing.

* Releasing neck tension by gently tipping the head forward and to each side while keeping the shoulders down.
    Check with your doctor and get some Voice therapy. I bet it will prevent surgery if you are consistent. Pls do not neglect it. pls consult a voice therapist, even if your doctor may not recommend.
    Regards,
    Puja

13. Michelle Harklau, LMT says:

Hi Rach!

Glad to hear about not having surgery. It’s always better to go the non-invasive route first; any type of surgery can cause scar tissue which could cause problems later. Although I don’t know your entire situation, I’m wondering if you’ve looked into massage therapy or if your doctor has mentioned it as a possibility in addition to the therapy you’re already doing. Sometimes sore throats, hoarseness and swallowing problems can be caused by trigger points in the muscles inside your mouth and neck (hyoglossus, constrictor pharynges, digastric, sternocleidomastoid and medial pterygoids). If you decided to add this to your therapy, make sure that the massage therapist has training in myofascial/trigger point release. Massage work like this can be painful, but the results can be amazing. Good luck! Have a happy and healthy New Year.

14. cindy says:

My daughter and I have been watching your show from the beginning.Actually when you were on the food network. We noticed your voice changed but we just found out about your surgery.We wish you well. Your show is great and we enjoy watching you. Keep up the good work..

15. Paula Reger says:

Hi Rachael ,
    I’m glad to hear you are going to be ok without surgery. My thoughts are with you and wish you well. I love cooking for my family and love watching you cook each morning . Thanks for brighting our mornings. Happy new year to you and your family .

16. Joe M. says:

I am so glad to hear that you are NOT going to need surgery! I would not at all be surprised to find that your vocal therapist is using Estill Techniques and compulsory figures with you. If not, (and again, I would be very surprised), you should look into it. It is a technique used by many Broadway stars and recording artists, but is only now starting to get the recognition it deserves. It is a more scientific approach to vocal health and teaches YOU how YOUR voice works as opposed to the old learn-by-imitation-sound-like-this-not-that-there-is-only-one-way-to-sound/sing school of thought. I have seen the results of Estill training, both for singers AND speakers, and know this will bring you to vocal health – WITHOUT SURGERY – and give you healthy vocal choices. I believe there is info on Facebook. Or go to Trainmyvoice.com, or search Jo Estill. Thanks for listening or, I guess, reading, and hope this helps. Best wishes for continued success, AND full vocal health in the new year. Love your show! CIAO (or should that be CHOW!) a fan – Joe (near) Pittsburgh, PA

17. Sherrill S. Pennell says:

I had not read anything that you did not have to have surgery as I have not kept with news before and after Christmas, but I have been praying that things were going well. Looks like God has answered prayers.
    Sherrill Pennell

18. MaryAnne says:

Hi, Rachael,

I am so happy you did not need surgery on your throat for vocal nodules. I am a Speech and Language Pathologist and known voice therapy can really help with nodules. Your therapy routine will get you sounding great and your nodule will go away. Before you know it you will automatically be speaking in your new vocal range. I am so happy for the good news.

I have allergies to chicken, corn, eggs, yogurt, and blue cheese. Many of these items are frequently found in gourmet recipes. I love to cook but I need to learn to modify recipes so I can try new delicious recipes. I am always looking for assistance with finding substitutes for the items I am allergic too.

I really like your show. You are always so bubbly and full of energy. I wish to thank you for all your generous charities. You are a great example to humankind. It is so wonderful to see someone with all your talents and connections to be so humble and generous to mankind and animals.

Your show is interesting because you have so much variety on it. I really enjoy your cooking and fashion sections. I like the way you try to help us average Americans find nice clothes and cook delicious economical meals. Every recipe I have tried has been outstanding. I enjoy the makeup hints, too. I recently fell and have a large curved scar above my left eye. It is healing beautifully but unsure how bad it will scar. Do any of your artists have any product or idea to reduce the appearance of a scar? In addition, I enjoy all the great stars that come on your show. You make them look so relaxed. I seem to really get to know what these stars are like.

Keep up the Great Work Rachael. You have been Blessed.

MaryAnne

19. Fran Fike says:

Rachael ,

I’m just now catching up after a very busy year . I prayed that you would not have to have surgery and well no need to say more , right ?
    Our Very Best Wishes for you and your family for the new year . It should be interesting .

20. Arynne says:

Hi Rachael,

I am so glad to hear that you will not have to have surgery.

You are in my thoughts and prayers that the therapy works for you.

Love and prayrs,
    Arynne (Erin)

21. Linda says:

Hi Rachael, Thanks for sharing your personal information with us. It has helped me to deal with my own voice loss. About three weeks ago I lost my voice, at first the doctor said it was sinus,after 2 weeks of threatment and there was no change I went to an ENT who then scoped my throat and said that one of my vocal cords was not working, now I am getting tests done as I am sure you did and I’m starting to be afraid of the results. I also saw a speech therapist. I am now just waiting for some answers. Glad to hear your doing well hopefully I will get some answers soon.

22. Cassie says:

I am glad you are getting better!!! Woo-hoo!!! No surgery.

23. Judy says:

Hello, Rachael,
    Miracles happen everyday and this one is very special!! We are so thankful that you will not be having surgery at this time and pray that the therapy will be a permanent cure.
    Whatever your voice, you are a beautiful young lady that has opened the hearts of your tv audience and brought us into your world. I DVR every show and watch your website on a regular basis in order to soak in all of the wonderfu information you and your guests supply.
    Take care of yourself – (I know your daily schedule is beyond measure) – so that we are able to continue having you in our homes and gaining new fun and creative facts everyday.
    Here’s hoping to be in New York someday to see your show in person. Until then……. have a very prosperous and Happy New Year to you and John and your extended family.
    Judy from Texas

24. Brenda Batchelor says:

Hi Rachael, I thought I would share with you that you were mentioned in my devotional readings this week. The reading was dealing with the parable about the loaves and fishes. The writer said that even Rachael Ray would have been intimidated by the thought of feeding the multitude with just a few loaves and fishes. You not only are in the dictionary now but in devotionals!
    What a blessing you have been in my life! I hope and pray your throat continues to be a minor tings. Many, many blessings! Brenda Batchelor

25. Pam Click says:

Dear Reachel,I have a daughter who just loves you!!
    She has a day care and loves to cook, of course only from your cook books! Lisa (my daughter) keeps your cook books on the counter and uses them everyday. This sun before church she was making coffee went into the front room only to return to the kitchen to find her coffee pot had broken and all 10 cups of coffee went everywhere on her counter, of course this ruined her cook books. She called me crying. You encouraged her to cook and for that I thank you very mush. I too pray that your throat keeps getting better. Pam from Kansas

26. Brenda Batchelor says:

Oops! That last word in the next to last line in my posting 1/11/09 should read “thing.” Brenda Batchelor

27. dino pastro says:

dear racheal….all i can say is that you have been an insperation in my life…you helped me through my addiction….4 years clean now thanks to watching you….i can now say i can ill be there for you in my prayers….racheal,you have been everthing to me….i am your biggest fan…love you lots

28. Stacy Wright says:

Dear Rachael, Glad to hear all is well with your throat. Take it easy with that voice. I also wanted to take this opportunity to tell you how much my family and I enjoy watching all of your shows. My 9 year old always makes sure to let me know when 30 minute meals is on. I have made a few of your recipes and we love them. My husband and I were watching the E True Hollywood Story about you this evening, and someone was on there talking about the I hate Rachael Ray website. I can’t understand people like that. It got me so upset, I wanted to write you and tell you how much we enjoy watching your energy. You always have a smile on your face. This is not something I ever do, and I’m sure you get so many of these that you don’t ever read them all, but I feel better knowing that I put this on here. I just think that people could use the energy it takes to hate to do something positive with their life. I have so many thoughts running through my head right now about those people, that I just can’t seem to put down exactly how I feel. I know that we live in a country w/ free speech, and believe my I am glad that we do, but I just think that if we could love each other instead of hating, the world would be a better place. Corny, I know, but I don’t care. Thank you for your time and best of luck in the New Year. Stacy from Indiana.

29. Diana Thornley says:

hey Rach. where can you get Nutrish that you made for you dog Isaboo would it ever be in Ontario Canada.
    Diana From Candad

30. Diana Thornley says:

Diana From Canada

31. Andrea J. says:

Happy New Year Rachael! I’m so happy that you didn’t have the surgery. You must be relieved. I watch your show whenever I’m not working during the day and can’t get enough of it. I get your magazine every month, I love it. You have the best stuff. It seems like whenever I go to cook something I use one of your recipes. I love them all! I have been a huge fan since 30 minute meals. I knew you would be a huge hit. Fan for Life- Andrea from Massachusetts.

32. Allison says:

Rachael,

Great to hear you may not have to have the surgery anymore! I have had a similar surgery (Laser Laryngoscopy) 7 times, here in Toronto, Ontario. I feel fortunate that the ‘bumps’ are always benign, and the only big side effect from them is the ‘husky’ voice…. I still have them removed roughly every 6-8 months just incase! I wish you the best, and hope your vocal therapy works so you can put off surgery! (especially since those ‘quiet’ days after recovery are sooooo hard….no talking for 4-10 days? crazy! I always have trouble with that!)
    PS. I LOVE your show…and the recipes…YUMMO!

XO

33. Hey Rachael Ray yes this is Romie Terrazas from El
    Paso, Texas. I am so very proud of you that you are
    doing so awesome and great. Keep up the good work
    that you are doing on your recovery of your throat
    and Have A Happy Romantic Day with your Husband John
    Cusimano and your Family On Happy Valentines Day not
    just Febuary 14, 2009 but everyday for the both of
    you. Happy Valentines Day everyday of the Year of
    2009. Also we my Family The Terrazas and The Montamats are going to keep you in our Prayers and
    are going to keep lighting a VERY SPECIAL CANDLE FOR
    YOU in our home and that we will all keep you in
    our heart-and-soul and in our Memory and our Thoughts for you Rachael Ray. We All Love You So Very Much. La La Means I Love You And I Am Not The
    Same Girl By Swing Out Sister. Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me By Gladys Knight & The Pips.

34. terri brock says:

i what i dont like about my tummy it looks like a 3months pregant girl. lol ill be 39 this september. oh i have never had a child so this belly thing is all my husbands fault lol. he went to school to be a chef but doesnt do it for a living just feeds me this wonderful food lol. well i must confess not all the time. :) thanks for your time

35. Sweden says:

Heey Rachael We are a Albanian family from Sweden and we Love your show and We watch it Every day. You´r so funny and happy all the time .And the Food is greaat.. We wish YOU a Happy new year !! Byee byeee Love – Sweden And Kosovo (L)

36. Sharon says:

I am glad to hear about your throat and that you went to a doctor for your abnormal hoarseness. I sent you a comment on your blog several months ago regarding your throat. I am glad to know you have nothing wrong with your thryoid.

Another comment off the above: I love your oval stock pan. I wish it came with a colander type insert so all you have to do is lift it out of the pan rather than transfer to a another colander and risk burning hands, arms or face. It would even be better if you could lift it up and hook it on the pan somehow. It could drain and stay warm til ready to transfer into the recipe at the appropriate time. Also,the sink no matter how clean is not a good place to put any food, whether in a colander or soaking in water. Sorry, it’s the nurse in me and I have seen water born germs passed even when you think you have a clean one. It might be low risk, but it is a risk.

37. Veronica says:

Hi! Just so you know, the same thing happened to 2 people I know – one friend had NO voice for 2 months, and it turned out to be acid reflux affecting their vocal chords. Started taking nexium, or some such, and they’re fine now!

38. Barbara says:

Rachael, I am so happy, I prayed for your throat, and your voice and health, I am so Glad God is still in the Miracle business. Thank You God for The healing you have been blessing Rachael with.
    I Hope you, John and Isaboo have a wonderful 2009. I watch you on your shows on food network and on the Rachael Ray show whenever I can. God Bless you, Barbara

39. Diane says:

Rachael,
    Good luck with your throat!
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.

PS.
    I have been trying to join the RR club.
    Having a hard time.
    Either name used OR e – mail address already taken.
    What can I do?
    Diane

40. Lori says:

Hi Rachael,
    Great news about the throat…hope it continues to get better. Now I have a suggestion/request for your website.

Do you think on the “recipe” page you could add a link for “figure friendly” recipes? It would save me a lot of time, and I would use that link everyday!!!
    Thanks,
    Lori

41. Kelley says:

I’ve blown my vocal chords TWICE! I had vocal therapy which really helped a lot. It did take a long time to see a major improvement so be prepared for the long haul. It’s frustrating but have patience and do all you are supposed to do. Avoid certain foods, do the relaxation, excercises, use complete vocal rest when you know you should and that means-writer on paper when you have to say something to hubby, etc. Your vocal chords have to unlearn the stress. The vocal therapy helps that.

Hang in the kiddo! I’m back to singing in my band again but I know my limitations. You have to learn yours too.

Kelley

42. beverly says:

Hey Rach,

I was so glad to hear something other than surgery was able to be done. I myself had throat surgery about 15 years ago. It was very scary. I had tumors on my thyroid that were growing very fast and were pushing on my vocal cords. I remember the Doc. saying I had a 50/50 chance of ever talking again!
    But, if I didn’t have them removed I wold definetly be in trouble. Thus my voice is kind of like yours!! But again im SO happy for you!!!!!

caringly,
    Beverly

43. Barb says:

Hi Rachael,
    I get sore throats often, especially when I don’t cover my neck when it’s cold & windy. However I tried these & they do work. Also thanks much for your easy meals. I use to not cook much,but now I do, with easy,ingenuous, simple meals. Love your show.
    COLD – stir a tsp. each of powdered cinnamon & lemon juice into a cup of hot water & sip slowly.
    SORE THROAT GARGLE – sage or thyme leaves in water(didn’t try the herb one yet), salt in water, vinegar 2 tbsp to glass of water.
    Good Luck Hope this helps.
    Barb

44. I thought that you had an allergy. I had a friend that had a voice like that. I am thrilled that you are getting better. I love your show.

45. Melody says:

Rach,
    I am so glad to hear that you are doing the voice therapy. My local doctor did not have me do therapy and performed a twenty year old procedure on my vocal cords. It didn’t work and my voice will never be the same. I have had 7 other surgeries trying to repair the damage that was done by the first. (This time by a specialist in Philly) I can talk better but not the same and I can’t sing anymore. Maybe not a big deal to most people but I am a middle school music teacher and choir director. Your doctors made the right decision and you sound great. Good luck. My prayers are with you.

Melody

46. Mary T says:

The pictures of the recipes will not print out. How do I get them to print out?

Thanks – Mary T. in Texas

47. Arlene Di Caterina says:

Rachel You are the best…I’m glad to hear that you are ok…I wish that in the future I will be in your TV show audience. Since you started the show I’ve applied like two times but I’ve never gotten the opportunity to be there even when I was dying to be in…
    Now I got a new appoinment here in PR (I’m a Salvation Army Officer) so I’m not applying anymore but in some yrs. I’ll be back to NY.
    Anyway I always watch you from here…

God bless you and your family..

48. Amber says:

Rachel,

Just read the great news. Glad to see things are going great for you. Since I’m off from work today I was able to see your show and I have a question for you …How did you get to lose so much weight? Can you share the news? by the way you look great! Did you really do the acai colon cleanser diet? Thanks.

God Bless you and your family.

49. Angel says:

Hey Rach
    It’s great that you might not need surgery. I had surgery on the vocal cords and it was hard not to talk for 2 weeks I can’t imagine not hearing you for 2 weeks. Cause I just love your show. So be good and do what the Docs say

50. THERESA GEORGE says:

Rach, I am very happy that things are going well. I will keep you in my prayers.
    We enjoy your shows and you are like part of the family.

Sincerely, Theresa