Mom of Picky Eater

Mac and Cheese recipes you’ll crave

Last night, we made Rachael’s Macaroni and Cheese with Ham (pictured above).  This recipe should be called something else, like, oh I don’t know, how about, Oh My Gosh this Mac and Cheese is So Good I Can’t Stand It? The recipe says it serves 4, but it is a rich meal, so you could also serve it as a side dish for 8 or cut it in half and serve as a side for 4.  I made this dish in particular because I had leftover ham.

It got me thinking about how many Rachael Ray Mac and Cheese recipes we have and thought I’d give you a comprehensive guide.  I consider the Mac and Cheese dish to be another way to disguise food that your children or other family members might otherwise not eat.  Here are some of my faves:

New and Noteworthy:

Mac and Seafood Au Gratin

With Meat and Chicken:

Philly Cheesesteak Mac and Cheese

Buffalo Chicken Chili Mac

Sausage and Three Cheese Mac and Cheese

Smoky Chipotle and Cheddar Mac

Mac and Cheddar Cheese with Chicken and Broccoli (pictured below)

Just Veggies:

Harvest Moon Macaroni

Mac and Jack Salad

Fun and Festive:

Que Pasta Mexican Mac and Cheese (pictured below)

Cubano Mac and Cheese

Mac and Cheese Dog Casserole

New York Deli Style Mac and Cheese

Chili Con Queso Mac and Cheese

Once you get the hang of making your own mac and cheese recipes, you’ll never go back to the box.  Also, you can start doing your own experimenting by trying different cheeses, seasonings, pasta shapes and add-ins like veggies and meats.  To go lighter and healthier, use 1-2% milk instead of whole milk, try using whole wheat pastas and add veggies.  Plus, if you reduce the amount of sauce you use to toss with your macaroni and add-ins, you will still get the mac and cheese experience without it being too heavy.

I would not suggest using fat-free or reduced fat cheeses, because these do not always melt as well as full fat ones.  Plus, if you are going to make the dish right, you should go for it and just cut back on how much of it you actually eat.  Serve it as a side instead of a main and make your main a big green salad.

12 Responses to “Mac and Cheese recipes you’ll crave”

1. hi,i just think your recipes are the it thing i look forward to 9:00 am i am a vegatirian so i get alot of ideas my girl is 8 and she is and can be picky so you have helped me with cooking and aot of laughter. thank you from avon indiana kathy c.

2. Carol says:

I was watching Rachael’s 30 Minuite Meals on Tue, Jan.6th 2009 the segment that I saw contained a receipe for Broken Spaghetti —–. It contained Mushrooms, toasted broken spagetti, wine, beef stock and other ingredients I can’t remember. I would love to have the receipe as I didn’t get on line to print it off. Please send to me if at all possible as it sounded wonderful and one my family would realy like. I’ve looked on line and in some of Rachael’s cookbooks with no avail.

3. Deb says:

All these Mac & Cheese Recipies sound great, but they’re just a teaser for me. I’ve developed a dairy intolerance as I’ve gotten older and although I love cheese I can’t eat it anymore. I’d love to see a recipie that tastes as good as yours for us dairy deprived people. Please help.

4. Misty Harvey says:

I love your show! My daughter has always been picky about her mac and cheese, she will not eat mac and chedder. she loves the creamy mac and cheese with american cheese, she loves stouffers because it is rich and creamy. I remember when I was a teen, my mom would by a huge long block of american cheese and make homemade mac and cheese. I have tried but cant make it right, it is always too runny.

anyway, Rach, i was hoping you had a good creamy american mac and cheese receipe??!
    Misty H.

5. Tony Beach says:

Thanks Rachel…I’ll do another post for you on ..
    Thanks for the Mac and cheese recipes….have any sisters or cousins that can cook like you? Smile…
    Tony Beach

6. Tony Beach says:

Have you ever tried Baked Mac and Cheese? With 5 cheeses in it! That’s the best way!
    Tony

7. Cheri Bramley says:

I have a problem with my cheese sauces for mac and cheese recipes. They always seem to be gritty no matter how long I stir and cook the sauce. Anyone have suggestions?

8. Kelly Rojas says:

Hi Rachel, I just wanted to say that my husband and I love your show and we have tried two of your recipes and I seem to forgot all the ingrediants that go into them one chipolte chicken tortilla soup and the hotdogs with macoroni noodles, beer. If you could please help me I would love that. Thanks much and keep up the great recipes. Kelly and Marcos Rojas Eagan, Mn

9. Dawn says:

I tried the Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese recipe. It was a disaster. The meatballs where soft and mushy and way too much salt. The cheeses didn’t melt into a nice sauce. they kinda clumped. I would not recommend this recipe, ever! Although. the cavatappi noodles are the best.

10. Erin says:

I tried the cheeseburger mac and cheese with using lean ground turkey instead…it turned out pretty good, except I think the recipe calls for too mush mustard. The mini meat balls were VERY “mustardy”. Otherwise this is a really fun a & creative recipe. Thanks Rach!

11. Sharry says:

Try Mac and Cheese with Velveeta(makes clean up fast)
    and then add Swiss on top and bake for a few minutes until cheese on top is melted.Sooooooo good.

12. Jordan says:

Gritty Cheese Sauce? before you mix it in with the noodles, put it in a small bowl add just a tad bit of milk or water, mix it, then microwave it just enough to get it warm. Stir again, then add