Mom of Picky Eater

Popcorn-a light and easy snack for all

Popcorn is an easy snack that the whole family can enjoy (except pets).  If you make it yourself in a popping machine or on the good old stovetop(see above), you can really keep control of what gets added to the popcorn.  You can make it so many different ways, from hot and spicy to just a touch of salt and butter, depending on your tastebuds and your dietary needs.  If you are on a diet, for instance, just plain popped corn and a little salt makes a flavorful and satisfying whole grain snack.  If you want to jazz things up just a bit, try these recipes and ideas.

First of all, if you are making stovetop popcorn, you can’t find a cheaper and easier snack to make.  You grab a hard bottomed pot, add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil and cover the bottom of the pot in a single layer with kernels.  Put the pot on medium heat, covered.  Once you hear the kernels start popping, shake the pan every few minutes while the popcorn pops.  Keep covered all the while and remove from heat when you hear it stop popping.  That’s about if folks.  If you want to add melted butter and salt, melt 1-3 tablespoons butter and toss with the popcorn and a few shakes of salt or seasoned salt for the most basic snack.

Here are some other cool popcorn ideas:

Sweet Sesame Five Spice Popcorn

Zippy Italian Popcorn

Hot N Sweet Kennel Corn

Caramel Peanut Popcorn Baseballs

Chili Cheese Popcorn

Black Pepper and Parm Cheesy Popcorn

Curried Salt Popcorn

Rachael is so gaga over popcorn, that she even puts it on her soup!

11 Responses to “Popcorn-a light and easy snack for all”

1. Chloe Arnett says:

Awesome Rachel!!! I’ll try that next time!!! I can’t believe how creative you are!!!

2. Mary says:

Dear Rachel, I am the manager of a group home for 6 developmentally delayed men. I have a budged of $3,000.00 per year for food. That’s 3 meals a day 7 days per week. Could you please come up with some new ideas for me. I literally get to my wits end trying to think of new and inexpensive things to cook. Also could you please tell me what the implement you scrape the food from the counter into the pan is called. I have tried to find one, however, people just think I’m crazy and tell me to use a knife. Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated. Thanks very much. Mary P.

3. Astrea says:

hiya im 10 yrs old and i luv 2 watch your show i think it is funny and i luv some of the food u make

4. Ann Hoskins says:

Hi Rachael,
    In your January’s magazine I really enjoyed your Sticky PB&J Wings recipe. It was so easy to make and cook time was short. Every wing was gone and everyone wanted more. I also was very surprised at the few required ingredients need. Your show is fantastic; I’ll be watching you.

5. farah says:

that’s right! its a easy and cheap snack.
    and also i made it, and then i put in a little cute box. and i sell it.
    so popcorn, is easy made snack, cheap, and easy to get it. also can bring money.

6. Vicki says:

Just wondering why the pets can’t have popcorn, I’ve never heard of that.

Thanks.
    Vicki

7. Katie says:

In need of a Food Makeover for my Hubbie!!
    Dear Rachel,

I am desperate to get help for my very picky and kitchen-micromanaging husband who is sabotaging my attempts to create delicious gormet meals. My palette and his are not very compatible. I have tried everything from having your magazine and recipe books around, to watching cooking shows with him. He shows some interest in trying new things and really likes your travel show, but seems genuinely fearful when he sees certain ingredients and odd pairings of food. I am stuck in plain-jane cooking mode, because it becomes economically wasteful to make individualized meal plans(Sounds like my teaching job-I must meet the individual needs of my students!) His royal pickiness is rubbing off on the kids when he shows his distaste to any new and different meal combination. (He does enjoy the plain meals I create for him, but when I make something different he avoids it and makes himself a sandwich!) Can the development of his picky palette be undone? Is there hope for my dreams of becoming a chef extrodinare ever going to come into fruition? Please help.

Sincerely,

Katie

P.s.- It is a daily ritual for the kitchen micromanager. I make a meal, he hovers over the stove to see what extra ingredients I put into it. He routinely asks,” What did you put in there? Where did you see that recipe?” Oh the joys of a picky husband.

8. samantha says:

iluv to watch u wit my mom i help her cook ur recips.

9. trying anything says:

I have many many cheap fast really great food for Mary… Dear Rachel, I am the manager of a group home for 6 developmentally delayed men. I have a budged of $3,000.00 per year for food… pasta turkey tacos… turkey nachos with homemade flour chips…spinach and cheese manicotti… lots of ideas if you need some :)

10. kathryn Reese says:

I would also like to know why popcorn is not good for dogs. My dog loves it.

11. kathryn Reese says:

I won’t feed the popcorn to her anymore if you say that it is really true. Do you have something to replace the popcorn.