post-image 41ppd8yen6l_ss500_
Emily Wyckoff

Favorite books for young readers

My oldest daughter is in third grade and a pretty avid, yet somewhat unadventurous reader; she sticks to what she knows. I love books and consider reading to be one of the great pleasures of life. I have so many favorite books from growing up and as my oldest gets older, I try to share some of these favorites with her with the hopes she will love them as I did.

Some of my favorites I read when I was her age are the Little House on the Prairie series, the Anne of Green Gables Series, The Chronicles of Narnia books. I know enough not to be pushy, which is an instant turn off for her, but when we visit the library, I often will pull out one of these books and tell her how much I think she would love them. Reaction? No dice. I even have brought some home and she still sticks to her old favorites – series about Katie Kazoo, June B. Jones, Emily Windsong, The Amazing Abby Hayes, and Ivy and Bean are just a few.

We do crossover on some books – she loves the Beverly Cleary books (Ramona and Beezus et al) and of course Judy Blume is timeless (the age appropriate ones of course!!). I have come to realize that what my daughter chooses to read may in fact be new “classics” (Junie B. Jones may be the new Beverly Cleary) – or not (Captain Underpants? I don’t think classic-status, but funny, yes). I’m just happy she chooses to read for pleasure and I am hopeful this will stay with her for life. I am looking forward to see what my four year old son chooses to read – I am not up on “boys’ books” but maybe he will be my Narnia reader.

Here you can find some of these faves:

Try these early reader bestsellers:

9 Responses to “Favorite books for young readers”

1. Joanie C says:

Don’t forget Nancy Drew books! My daughter loves them!

2. Jj says:

Does anyone know the name of the book Rachael mentioned on a show a while back called something like “Things all Boys Should Know” ? I can’t remember what the exact title was, or who the author is, and I would like to get it for my nephew.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

3. Christie Usry says:

My daughter is in the second grade. She had not found the right books to really get her into reading until a few weeks ago while we were at the beach and it was rainy. We went to the bookstore and found Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew. She can not put them down. It is amazing, she reads on the way to school, the way home, and for about an hour each night.

4. Nicole says:

Hi, I’m a teenager now and I loved reading all the Enid Blyton books(especially the mystery ones) when I was a kid. Maybe you should let your daughter try reading those?

5. Amber says:

Jj- I think the book your thinking of is “The Dangerous Book for Boys”

6. Taza says:

My daughter is now 12, but when in 3rd gr. it was all mysteries. she read the entire collection of box car children. She loved reading anything to do with animals,even fact and science books. She continues to read both types.
    For my 4th gr. son, its Diary of a wimpy Kid Series. The 3rd book they can actually write their own stories.
    The most important aspect is finding out your childs favorite things such as, soccer,dogs,cooking,fashion or even a famous person. Then begin to search for books both fact and fiction according to their interest.

7. AdventureMom says:

My husband and I are avid readers. We often read as a family at night and on car trips. I often choose books that were our favorites growing up. My boys (ages 7.5 and 6) have enjoyed the following books.

Gone Away Lake
    Return to Gone Away
    Bobbsey Twins
    Farmer Boy
    Doctor Doolittle
    From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (combined it with a trip to NYC)
    Cricket in Time Square (combined it with a trip to NYC)
    Junie B. Jones
    James and the Giant Peach
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Tom Swift

Amelia Bedelia Series (books my kids read)
    Henry & Mudge Series (books my kids read)
    Space Cat (books my kids read)

Enjoy!

8. ARW says:

I have always been a big reader…and thankfully my parents got me hooked on classics when I was young. (I’ve read all the Narnia books–9 times!) As hard as it may be to convince your kids to read timeless stuff, try! Just keep in mind one of two rules of thumb:
    1. Make sure the book is age/ personality appropriate–your child is not you!
    2. Make sure the grammar is current. You cannot belive how hard it is to read a book you have to try to understand. You can find “simplified” version so classics–try Wishbone.
    3. Start small. It doesn’t amtter how short the book is if it’s quality.
    A love for reading is such a gift…but don’t force on them either. Who knows, though? Maybe the’re only waiting for a little help.

9. DMR says:

My son is turning 13 this month. He absolutely can’t get enough reading. He is the only child I have ever seen get into trouble for reading books. He just wouldn’t put the book down while the teacher was talking. His faves in 3rd thru 5th grade it was the Harry Potter books. but any fantasy adventure or mystery will do. His first read was The Princess Bride , I read it to him doing all the voices, when he was in kindergarden. when he was in 2nd grade he picked it up and read it to me.