529783e
Emily Wyckoff

Dusting off the crock pot….

I had a busy day on Tuesday where I wouldn’t be home most of the day and one of the kids had an evening activity, so that morning I pulled out the crock pot (side note: when did crock pots become “slow cookers?” You have to love the reinvention of old standbys to introduce them to a new generation. I am sticking with trusty old “crock pot.” Mine is actually a nice new white one I got for Christmas a year or so ago – the one I remember my mom had when I was growing up was some kind of ugly dark orange pattern). I haven’t had much luck in the past with crock pot dinners because the recipes I tried were of the beef stew variety and my kids are not fans (they’re getting better now…) of dishes with lots of components mixed together.

I basically made pulled pork and served it with warm tortillas, cheese, rice, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and sliced peppers and onions. I have to say whereas i usually do a taco bar for my kids, this time around I pre-assembled their tacos so they wouldn’t reject the pork because it wasn’t trusty old ground turkey. My husband actually had his sans tortilla on a bed of rice which he said was tasty.

So for this successful dinner I took a 2 1/2 – 3lb pork shoulder (very inexpensive) and trimmed as much of the fat as I could. I have to say this was pretty time consuming (i.e., 10 minutes or so but the longest part of preparation) but worth it. Then, I threw the following ingredients in the crock pot: 2 jars mild salsa, a squeeze of tomato paste (I use the paste that comes in the tubes – l love it – no cans to open), a few tablespoons each chili powder and unsweetened cocoa powder, and a few dashes of oregano and salt and pepper. Then I set it on low (this was around 10 am) for 8 hours – done. So easy. Right before dinner I shredded the pork – which was no effort – it was so tender it basically shredded itself, and returned it to the sauce that was left in the pot, but reserved some “sauceless” pork for my kids. It made a ton – so much we actually froze a healthy amount of leftovers in a freezer bag for another busy night – a double success.

14 Responses to “Dusting off the crock pot….”

1. Julie G says:

NICE plan B mom ;) – I might have to try this for superbowl sunday!!

FYI – my mom had the same ugly orange patterned one…also, i pulled out the crockpot and made a beef stew type thing JUST last week – C & C HATED it…so thanks for a nice alternative! :)

C ya!

2. Stella says:

YUM! I love doing pulled pork in the crock pot.

Want another idea, put in layers chicken breast, mushrooms, 1/2 stick of butter, 1 t rosemary, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup in the crockpot. Turn it on and let it cook. 4-6 hours on high depending on your crock pot. It is a warm, thick chicken dish that is great over rice or noodles.

3. babbles811 says:

yum! i should try both recipes. i have another recipe & my kids actually love ‘em.

Pot Roast
    - chuck roast or anything kind of roast
    - 1 can cream of mushroom soup
    - 1 can water
    - i packet of lipton onion soup
    - 1 med size onion
    - carrots
    - celery
    - 2 tbsp of worcestershire sauce

We serve it over white rice. My kids love the sauce & the carrots.

4. catzy says:

You can even buy slow cooker spice pkgs on the shelf for beef stews and other great meals. Plop the meat and pour the spices from the pkg – done!

5. diane says:

check out http://www.50plusfriends.com. It is a cookbook website with many different chapters. One chapter is dedicated to Crock Pot Cooking and includes almost 400 recipes. I have not had the chance to try any yet, as I just recently received the info on this site, but it certainly looks interesting.

6. Julie says:

Another Pot Roast recipe to die for:

8 oz. sliced mushrooms
    1 can regular cream of mushroom
    1 can golden cream of mushroom
    1 can french onion soup
    Roast of any kind; pork chops, or chicken pieces

Put sliced mushrooms in the bottom of pot. Add meat. Pour mixed soups on top. Cook on low for 8 hours or more. Serve on rice or noodles. If you like sour cream, serve with a dallop. Yum!

7. momcurry says:

I did try the crockpot pork posted by Plan B Mom on superbowl sunday. It turned out great! My 17 year old came into the kitchen when I mixed the ingredients into a bowl (I mixed the sauce ingredients then poured over the meat).He was really put off about the cocoa powder. But he loved the end product as did the whole family. Really good! Except I could only find a shoulder 7lbs so I just sort of doubled everything. I also added some cumin which did add some smokey flavor (I learned that from watching RR!).

8. TexasMom says:

If its crockery, it’s a crockpot. If its a metal pan sitting on a hot plate (like West Bend’s) it’s a slow cooker. I love my slow-cooker because its actually faster than a crockpot. I can put some things on as late as 3 or 4 and its still ready for dinner.

And for pork tacos: serve with cilantro sauce for the BEST! 16 oz sour cream, one bunch de-leafed cilantro (no stems!), 1 pkg. Ranch Dip Mix (powder), and one jalapeno (de-seed if you scared). Put all in blender and mix well.

9. momseyes says:

I love my slow cooker. I use it all the time and I don’t usually make stew. Here are 3 ways I use it. 1.I put whole chickens in and they come out juicy and tender. Just season as you would if you were using your oven and sprinkle with paprika for color. 2.I also make meatloaf. I use very lean ground beef, no more that 10% fat. Season to taste. Place the loaf on a layer of raw onion, cut a little less than 1/4 in. This allows what little fat there is to drain. 3.Finally, I bake potatoes. Just clean your potatoes, stick each with a fork and place them in the crock. They can be stacked. I cook each of these dishes on low all day, 6-8hrs, sometimes longer on late days.

10. I love all of the receipes they are great.
    and I love Rachel ray

11. Donna says:

To Plan B Mom: I just purchased a new slow cooker by Crock Pot. It was then I learned that Crock Pot is the name of the manufactuer and the original maker of slow cookers. I never knew!

12. Barb says:

Have you tried the crock pot liners? Clean up is great–just toss.

13. tarmimie says:

hai,i`m from asia.you show very best and good.At the same time,i hope you can invite us from asian to come to your show.Stay cool and shine that all.

14. Mary Ann says:

The term ‘crock-pot’ can only be used by the company Rival. They were the first to coin it and have some kind of copywrite on the name. All other manufacturers must refer to the appliance as a slow-cooker.