pbblog
Mom of Picky Eater

Peanut Butter Cookies-a simple fave

I tried to healthy up my peanut butter cookies by using whole wheat flour and all natural Smucker’s peanut butter-with no sugar or anything but peanuts. The result was a cookie that was a bit denser and less sweet, but delicious! Almost like a peanut butter biscuit and I really don’t think these guys are as bad as the store bought or the original recipe I used to follow.

Then, just to be extra sassy, I added a big chocolate chip to the center of a few of these to make them a little more interesting, not that they needed it:

Here is the recipe-couldn’t be easier:

Preheat oven to 375F.

In a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups whole wheat or white/whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur brand) and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

In a large bowl, beat with electric mixer 1/3 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat into the butter mixture 1 egg, 1 cup natural peanut butter and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Since you are using natural peanut butter, you need the salt listed above. If you use Jif or Skippy, omit the extra salt.

Stir in the flour mixture with a spoon and form small-medium size balls. Spray a cooking sheet with cooking spray or line with Silpat or parchment paper. Set the balls on the cooking sheet and press down with your hand until they are flat patties. Put in the oven for 12-15 minutes. Don’t overcook or they will dry out.

7 Responses to “Peanut Butter Cookies-a simple fave”

1. Jo says:

I have done this for years! I always substuite no more than a 1/3 of the flour with wheat flour. I also cut the sugar by a 1/3 and have had no problems! I also like to use EVVO in my cookies, sounds silly but no one notices and its gotta be healthier for you. I just mix and bake just like original recipie.

2. Laura says:

I was taught an easier way for a small batch of peanut butter cookie. It has no flour. You use 1 cup of peanut butter, one cup of Splenda sugar blend for baking, and 1 egg. This recipe was shared with me because my 5 year old son likes to bake and cook and this recipe is one that all I have to do is watch him do it all.

3. deniz çulha says:

rachel hi!ı”m 15 and ı like cooking and you!you are great!
    ı am TURK so ı dont know english very well.ı want to read your website but ı cant understand.and ı cant find language option.can you put turkish language option in your website? thanks rachel

4. robin robinson says:

Hi racheal I just love watching your shows I love what you going to be fixing next on your show monday thru friday. My husband always trying to find out what I am cooking next he’s always nwondering what going to for dinner when hw comes home from work althrough I do have your dishes you use to make an casserole but I have to foster kids an daughter and an son they love it to.Thank you , you have been an big inspiration in my household. I love you so much thank you.

5. Annie Kyle says:

Greetings Rachel,

I do not get to watch your show as much as I would like because of working day shift; however, when I do get to I enjoy the programming! My question for you – I bake and cook with EVOO, BUT, I have a terrible time cleaning the top of the stove area following. I do not always care to use lids, so, when eggs are frying they pop, etc. Do you have a suggestion(s) for easier cleanup? The stove is porcelain top and the digital display area is plastic. Cheers, Annie Kyle

6. angela says:

this is so cool i love peanut butter

7. Denise says:

I’ve been creating “healthy” desserts for a few years now, because I have sweet teeth (worse than a sweet tooth). One tip is to use agave nectar instead of sugar, but you have to experiment to keep your ratio of wet to dry ingredients. Agave nectar is sweeter than sugar, has the lowest glycemic index around and is a natural substance, not a chemical, and very low in calories.