Rach
by

South Beach fun in the sun

This year was my favorite year in South Beach at the Food Network Wine and Food Festival. First of all, it was cooler than it usually is, which put me in a great mood. I hate it when it’s too hot, especially when I am cooking. Secondly, I hear the festival made $1.5M over what they expected to earn, and that all goes to the Florida International University and their various hospitality and restaurant programs. I am not surprised because the crowd was huge-over 3,000 people showed for the Kidz Kitchen cooking demonstration I did on Saturday.

If you couldn’t get into the Kidz Kitchen, you can get the recipes we handed out by printing off this page.

This event is always one of my favorites because I get to talk to kids and families who are interested in cooking . It’s all about making food accessible and not intimidating. The Pretzel-Crusted Chicken Breast with Cheddar-Mustard Dipping Sauce is always a hit when I make it for kids, even picky eaters. We’ve got a few variations of it on the site from other times I have made it. See here.

Alright so on to the big event- the Burger Bash-which seems to get better every year. I tried 22 burgers-it’s true-and I was in heaven. Burgers are one of my favorite things to eat and to see how all of my chef friends got creative with their best version of this dish was a real treat.

Last October, in NYC, my pal, Katie Lee Joel won the grand prize,

Katie Lee Joel and me in SoBe

and you can read her blog about it and get her winning burger recipe here.

In SoBe this year, Spike Mendelsohn from Top Chef was the triple crown winner. He took home the prize in a big way, sweeping “Best Dressed Burger,” “People’s Choice,” and “Judge’s Pick.” His burger was amazingly good. Here he explains it to me-look at how closely John is listening to him:

He topped the burger with vidalia onions, applewood bacon, cheddar cheese and bbq sauce. Delish. Bobby Flay also made a delicious burger with blue cheese sauce, bacon and potato chips-on top of the burger. I used to always do that as a kid-put chips on my sandwich for extra crunch.

I also enjoyed Michael Schlow’s burger, with cheddar and crispy onions. Michael’s restaurant in Boston, Radius, is one of my favorite places to go whenever I hit beantown.

That’s my SoBe update for now. I’ll be back again soon with more on Miami-I tried some great new restaurants that are doing all farm to table cooking. I love it.

Has everyone heard about our party in Austin next month. Hope you can make it!

28 Responses to “South Beach fun in the sun”

1. SXSW Elite Luxury says:

I have a luxury place for Rachael to stay in Austin during SXSW. Email me at the hidden email. You may be able to still grab it today.

In the BEST location in Austin only minutes from the venues.

Debra

2. Marnee Long says:

Rachel,

I met you at the South Beach Food and Wine Festival. You autographed a cookbook for my daughter Lauren and I. I wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for speaking to her on my cellphone, I am the lady who had her daughter on speakerphone in the book signing line. You don’t know how happy you made my daughter Lauren. She went to school, she is in first grade, and told everyone she spoke to Rachel Ray. I can’t wait to see you again next year! Thanks again!

3. Lacey says:

Hi Rachael!

Thank you so much for sharing the SOBE festival for those who were not able to go. I would so love to go one of these years- but work and 3000 miles get in my way- LOL
    Sounds like you had a great time!

Thank you Rachael for starting my day with a bright smile. You truly are an inspiration!
    Hugs
    Lacey xox

4. Kerry C says:

Rach!

It ain’t a party until you eat 22 sliders!!! Rock on! Okay, so I saw the Jimmy Fallon commercial last night- where he sets you on fire… Call me crazy, but I found myself getting very sad over you being on fire… even though it was all in fun…
    But you looked Fabulous! When will you be on the show?

You Rock and I wish I could go to San Antonio!
    Have fun and be safe
    Kerry

5. Diana says:

Hey Rachael,

Do you think you’ll ever have your best girlfriend on your show? I get a kick when Oprah has her BFF (Gail) on her show.

6. Hi Rachael I don`t see a thing wrong with the racy photo. I`m 70 years old and the way people dress to-day I think racy is good. Love your shows,and go with the Donuts I love them. Keep on cooking.

7. M L wheeler says:

hi
    me and my older daughter who is three love your show.my younger one is 6 mo.WE watch all the time. i am 20 yr. i would love to know how to look good and breast feed i have not found a lot of stuff for moms that look good and how do you know a home is right for you lookin to by a house

8. Alex says:

I just saw your FHM layout while i was surfing online and I just wanted to say that it has to be the best layout ive ever seen you are the only person ive ever seen that actually looks like a real person in photos like that i watch your shows on food network all the time and i really like what you do thanks for all the work youve done

9. Rachel says:

Hi.
    My name is also Rachel. I have not met but i watch all your shows and am inspired by you. I also want to be a cook. It is my biggest dream to become a cook and have my own show just like you. I cook for my family and bake for my friends. I would love to talk to you some day. I would love to give you my email just not on this.(i think you know why) Please give me some tips on how to get started. Thanks for you inspirering shows and lessons.
    ~Rachel

10. Frances says:

Hello Rachael, I buy garlic in bulk form fresh of course and I wanted to know what is the best way to keep it form going bad. Should I keep it in the fridge or on the counter any suggestion. PS When are or will you get Carry Underwood to visit your show? I always enjoy you show. Frances

11. Roy Blenkhorn says:

Hey Rachael, I was reading about the latest hype about your ‘racy’ photos. I think you look amazing in them, and I am always commenting to my girlfriend while watching your show how amazing I think you are and she gets all jealous and yells at me its the funniest thing. I must say though I would leave her in a heartbeat for you Rachael I do think you are amazing, your husband is truly a very lucky man. I love your show, I love you, and think you do a great job keep up the good work.. and keep doing what you do. you truly bring the meaning to ‘sexy’

12. Rocklette Pulliam says:

Hello Rachael, How r u? Just want to let you know that i am one of your newest fans. I enjoy your show and can not wait until i try one of your recipies
    My name is Rocklette Pulliam

13. cheryl says:

I’m a loyal viewer. although older and quite an accomplised cook myself, I am always learning. On the Friday March 6th show Rachael was wearing a beautiful black and white striped top. I saw on the credits at the end of the show it was a Elie Tahari. I have gone to the website, but can’t seem to find it anywhere. I would be most grateful if you could guide me in the right direction. It was such an attractive piece. I would love to add it to my collection. Thank you.

14. Juliana says:

Hello! I live in sweden and I look at your show and I love it! I think that you are doing great things! And I get hungry everytime i Look at your show! Thanks Rach!

15. Scott Foster says:

Hey Rachael, We met about six years ago. I was a chef for Sutton Place Gourmet/Balduccis in DC. I cooked several of your recipes for your book signing party in your publisher’s house in DC. Since then I have opened a specialty food store in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We’ve been open for 3 yrs.
    Next month we are hosting a Duck and Wine Festival in Duck, NC April 25th – check out the blog-http://www.coastalprovisions.net/Weblog/tabid/948/Default.aspx
    as celebration of duck and local chef creativity in our quaint seaside town of Duck! All proceeds go to benefit the Currituck-Dare Community Foundation which supports a lot of good local causes.

Anyhow, there a lot good people involved, great generous sponsors (including Maple Leaf who is donating all of the ducks for all 15 chefs and Tryon Wine Distributors who will be supplying the wine). As you may or may not know, the Outer Banks has since the early years of our great country been a natural habitat for waterfowl.

We would love it if you could do a story or just give us a plug. Of course, if you want to come down, we’d love to have you! ;)

many thanks
    Scott Foster

16. Janne says:

Hi Rachael! I’m from Norway and as often as I can I see your show on the TV! Now I’m sick so now I have plenty of time to watch your shows! YEY! I think your food looks amazing! And like the Swedish girl/woman I also gets hungry after I have seen your show.

I’m allergic to wheat and those kind of stuff. So I wonder if you have a really good and special recipes of something I could make to my boyfriend and me that we both can eat? I would me soooooo happy =)

Sorry for my bad english =(

Janne.

17. rich russo says:

Hi rachael i made your wild mushroom broken spaghetti recipe . I have to say oh my god this is sooo good I did do it a bit diff than you but I just added broccoil rabe to the pot as you would say yummoo thanks for the good food Rich from CT

18. Eddie says:

Hi Rachael I was watching your show about facial hair removal when my brother showed up and distracted me from the show, I need help, I need a way to remove hair from my head without having to shave. You see I have a messed up shoulder and I’m having alot of trouble moving my arm up to my head to shave it and there are NO nair products for men and their heads, do you know of any easy ways to remove hair from my head. PLEASE HELP. Thanks from desperate in Ohio.

19. staci candrea says:

Hi Rachael, I watch your show daily love it. I have heard you say a couple of times that you love baseball. The RED SOX!!! So do I and like you I am married to New York Yankee fan( poor guys) For his 60th birthday we went to New York and watch the series between the Yanks and RED SOX!! It was such a blast. Last year we went to see the big monster for my 40th birthday. I just thought it was neat to hear you talk about that. We have a BLAST during the season. I win most bets. HA I don’t know, but I am sure your husband like mine can’t wait to see the new stadium. Maybe you already have. I even wore my red sox stuff to all the games. We took alot of crap. Oh well just happy to hear there are other crazy married baseball fans. GO SOX!!!
    Thanks love the show
    Stacci

20. Dawn says:

This message is for Eddie- My husband is half bald so he uses Magic Shave to get rid of the rest…it can be found in the African American section of most WalMart or Walgreens/drug stores…some carry it near the razors and others carry it near the African American hair products. He recommends I tell you about the Magic Shave that is premixed and in the tube. There are several varieties and they are all good for sensitive skin. Hope that helps!

21. krista says:

Hi Rach,

This is the best way I found to contact you. I wanted to let you know there is a company called FWM Laboratories that is using you as an endorsement for their AcaiBerry pills. I was scammed by them. They advertise a free sample, just pay shipping. And before you know it you are charged $90 on your credit card. After turning them into the BBB of West Palm Beach FL and “harassing” them I got my money back. I know they have scammed thousands of people. This is the site your pic is on. http://www.acaielite.com/offer/acaielite/
    I am sure you didn’t know about your pic being used and just wanted to make you aware. You can also check out http://www.seflorida.bbb.org/BusinessReport.aspx?CompanyID=92012492
    You’ll be amazed by their rating and comments from the BBB. They also used Oprah and I tried to contact her but got no response. I hope you can do something to get the word out to people about this scam.

Thanks,
    Krista

22. Evlin says:

hai Rach, im Evlin from Indonesia… i watch ur show,you made me getting laugh when you in the kitchen coz u keep talk and talk even with the kitchen stuff… n about the food, its made me hungry everytime i watching ur show… and i thought you are a nice person… would you say Hi for me at tv… wish u the best Rach
    a lots thanks..
    Evlin,,

23. Marian says:

Hey Rach:

Notice you are not wearing your wedding rings anymore and John was not on your 500th show. I hope this does not mean you teo have split.

24. yalmoli & thiru says:

hai rachael… we both are sisters,from malaysia.. well we are indian girls..(“,)we both love to see your show..especially your recipe..thanks alot..we love you..bye..tc

25. Jacqueline says:

Rachel, I love your show, and you’re a sweetie. Your hubbie and cute dog seem wonderful. Please, however, STOP the HAMS. (I don’t mean to be “screaming,” just asking for your attention.

We have 4 rescued potbelly pigs. (PBs have been so mistreated and are in sanctuaries throughout the country.) All pigs, PBs and farm, are smarter even than dogs and every bit as sweet.

All the pork makes me sad. Our hams walk around the back yard, roll over for tummy rubs, and spin around for a strawberry. Then they look at you with beautiful, sensitive eyes. Please think about it.

Jacqueline in Ft. Walton Beach (and Rudy, Barney, Mimi, and Pedro)

26. hala says:

Hi rachael,
    Im hala from jordan I love you and your program,you are so cute and amazing girl I hope to chating with you soon.

27. Linda says:

rachel was it fun?

28. Oğuzhan Türk says:

Hey rachael! I’am turkish.I always watch you.You have many fans here.But ı can watch your old program because I’am in Turkey :) Iff ı go there.I will come to your side:) I love you and your burgers :D