Emily Wyckoff

When did Easter become the new Christmas?

Note: I wrote this blog last Easter but it started an interesting conversation so I thought I would post it again, so here it is……..

I admit it, I have found myself falling into the trap of overdoing it at Easter. Let me backtrack by beginning with saying how I have always loved Easter. An admitted chocoholic, it has long been my favorite holiday as chocolate is the main event and better yet, you are sanctioned to eat it at 7 am – what could be better? Even as a young adult in my twenties, pre-children, my husband suffered through coloring Easter eggs with me and having a private Easter egg hunt, complete with baskets. Also, you need to know I come from a long line of Easter overdoers, as I can remember Easters with my grandmother where there would be nearly as many gifts wrapped and hidden as on Christmas morning. I may even recall a bike being hidden in the bushes one Easter, if my memory serves me correctly.

I started slowly with Easter once our kids arrived on the scene – we would color hard boiled eggs a few days before and hide them, and throw maybe a few jellybeans and a couple Hershey kisses in a small basket and call it a day. As our brood grew and our kids got older, I found myself packing the baskets to overflowing, getting each child a separate “big present” that would be hidden on the lawn – Polly Pockets, Little Pet Shop kits, Lego’s and the like. I find myself creeping toward bikes in the bushes. It has to stop. And stop it will this year.

I know I am not alone. The newspaper circulars for major stores indeed promote Easter as a huge gift-giving occasion. Since when did Barbies, princess costumes, and Nerf toys become typical Easter gifts? Isn’t Easter about spending time together as a family? I won’t even get into the fact that most children don’t even know the religious relevance of Easter and instead see the Easter bunny as the originator of the holiday (sadly, probably including my children – good dinner conversation for tonight).

This Easter, I resolve to keep my Easter to a minimum, and focus on spending the day with  my family, choosing a fun activity we can do together – take a walk, go for a bike ride, even play a board game. I resolve to stick to coloring eggs and one modest basket per child. I will not break down. Wish me luck!

How does your family celebrate Easter?

53 Responses to “When did Easter become the new Christmas?”

1. Amy P says:

I agree when did getting barbies and legos become part of easter. When I was younger i thought easter was part of my birthday celebration since it almost always fell near my birthday. Just imagine how upset i was to find out that it was not a celebration for me but for other reasons. Our family tries to focus on the real reason of easter and we keep the bunny stuff down to a minamum. We still find eggs and chocolate but our baskets are mostly filled with things such as new shoes for church and a new pair of earings to go with our dress for church we then eat a bigger dinner with family. You can do it just remember that it is all about being with each other and not how big your basket is.

2. I suppose that this is yet another challenge that we as parents are faced with.

This will be our little one’s first Easter, and I hope that we do justice to the holiday through the years. I honestly think that a continuous open discussion (age appropriate) is the key to most issues, including this very one. Part of the reasoning that I think people get “distracted” during Easter is that it involves talking openly about death and sin. It’s an ugly topic that doesn’t exactly go with the beautiful basket, but boy, does it have a happy ending!

Thanks for the thought provoking post!
    Kelly

3. Susan says:

Hello,

I have to admit I am not a huge fan, but I find the people at Rachel Ray Sucks site to be rude. If they don’t like you, stop watching the show. I would tell them, but I have to be anti-Rachel to join. I watched your interview on E and I learned some new things. I didn’t know that you worked your way up. I am glad that I learned more about you. Keep Rocking!

Susan

4. John says:

Easter is just as much a family day, as the other holidays. I am to old for Easter baskets.

5. Jen H says:

I am totally non conformist when it comes to holidays and even birthdays. My kids get treated great, love and appreciate everything that comes their way. I watched and still watch sooooo many parents go overboard with everything. I refused to be one of those parents. Just time together having fun is the main thing that my kids look forward to. In fact, it is the only thing they want. Ask what they want and each one picks a board game (*gasp what is that*) or a card game, grabs a snack and a drink and we are good for hours.

PS .. no one in my house likes chocolate but me, so … no worry about falling into the chocolate trap here!

6. Patricia says:

When I was a child, I always got all dressed up for Easter. I got a new dress and hat and beautiful new, shiny shoes…and I sometimes wore white gloves. I remember one year, I got RED, patent leather shoes with a SQUARE toe! I thought I was so cool! It was a big deal, going to Church and then off to Grandma’s house.

Today, Easter is nothing like that. We are too busy and too tired to put in the effort, I guess. My children’s Easter is nothing like mine was. We color eggs and attend an annual Easter egg hunt. On Easter morning, my kids get baskets (I limit the candy). If the weather is nice, we’ll have our own hunt outside of our house. We usually fill our eggs with things like pennies and gold fish.

That’s pretty much it. I would love to get some more meaningful traditions included in our Easter. But how?

I posted this year’s Easter eggs that my kids colored on my website at: http://lemomdecrumbs.googlepages.com/

Happy Easter to all!!!!

7. Amy says:

I agree! My MIL recently asked me “what are you getting the kids for Easter?” I replied “their Easter baskets.” and then she said “well, I know, but what is their BIG gift?” Since when do they need a BIG gift? My kids will be perfectly happy with a chocolate rabbit, some jelly beans, and some eggs to find. Oh, and I did get them each a book. My parents never overdid it, and I don’t see any reason to, either. We should focus on the reason for Easter, not how much “stuff” they can accumulate.

8. My mom bought my kids their baskets this year and per my instruction, she kept the sweets to a minimum, HOWEVER, she gave them each a few books and they were all themed with Easter-The Peanuts story of the Easter Beagle, the Backyardigans Easter Egg Hunt…I don’t think I care that things have gotten so commercialized, because it is one more excuse for us to sit and read, but it definitely seems a little like a scam.

Then again, my grandfather used to star every holiday by telling us how he used to get an orange for a present.

9. Alison says:

We kind of set the rule that in order to be given for Easter, it needs to fit in the basket. So, books, Pokemon cards, Littlest Pet Shop pets, new hair things, small stuffed animals, crayons, stickers, lipgloss, etc, plus candy. It’s haw my mom used to do it, so that’s what we go with!

10. margo says:

I agree that Easter shouldn’t be all about candy and ‘big’ toys. I usually got a stuffed animal and a few small toys, but nothing like a bike. This is my daughter’s 1st Easter, and she is getting a couple books, and balls. That’s something I want to continue as our family grows- a book, an active toy for them, and maybe a board game the whole family can enjoy. I want to encourage reading, spending time together, and going OUTSIDE to play. In addition to teaching the real meaning of Easter, I want it to be a day we all look forward to, as a day for family.

11. Amber says:

Hey Rachael I am fourteen years old and you have inspired me to cook like a Gourmet chef i love your schow and love the 3o minute meals program Too.Thanks for being so beautiful and doing the shows and writing great recipes i love you rach.

xoxo Amber
    Nova Scotia

12. Sue says:

Hello, I am a grandmother of five, all under the age of 4. The last two Easter holidays, I made cookies. Last year, I made the cookies and put them in a basket with icing tubes and pretty spinkles so they could decorate their own. Each family got a “cookie basket”. No candy, or anything else. Since I had the baskets,the cost was small.This year I made the cookies with the oldest grandkids,3,3,& 2. We also made a batch of bread dough and made bunny rolls for lunch. The leftover dough was used to make cinnamon-sugar “toads”.
    We had a fun time, and each took their cookies home for a Easter treat from grandma.

13. Gina Clowes says:

We do buy toys and crafts because I dont want to give my kids as much candy.

Even with multiple food allergies, there is still plenty of “safe” candy and treats but I dont want my kids to eat that much junk.

I buy toys and things that I would normally buy in the Spring anyway: frisbees, colored chalk, jump ropes, balls & bats add a few other novelties (piggy bank, alarm clock) and then spice it up with some fun candy.

Works for us!

Take care,
    Gina

14. Shalena says:

My daughter is nine and we do a small easter basket filled with her favorite candy, a new outfit for school (usually shorts and a matching top), and this year a bat bag for softball. Also usually an activity that I picked up at the dollar store.

Her Grandparents usually are the ones that go overboard, but they did when I was little.

We attend our Church Easter Egg Hunt and go to the Sunrise service on Sunday morning. We do get new dresses and shoes for our church service and then we get together with our huge family for an all age egg hunt. Sometimes, papa follows us and eats the eggs we hide, so we don’t also have the amount we started with. One year the dog was eating them!!!

15. Jasara says:

Hello, I am a parent of three kids and it is hard to get all the thing they want for Easter. But now a day the family thing that I use to do never is the same now. Kids want the up to date and don’t want to hang out with the family.They want to go out with friends and I am young myself and I don’t want to have to be with my family all the time. I am sorry the thing that Easter is about we don’t do. We need to get back to the real reason why we call it Easter.

16. suzanne montgomery says:

Thank you, thank you! My daughter is in middle school this year and she comes home telling me what she wants for Easter. (this is a first) She says all her new friends get… She even went as far as writing the easter bunny and note saying she would like a “Juicy” jacket and maybe some “Jack Rogers” sandals. I could not believe this was coming out of her mouth. We have never really overdone the basket but this was what “everyone” else was getting. The same was true for Valentines Day. Eventhough I wanted to give in, I did not. She got some candy, bubbles and a small minnow net for the beach. After going to church we celebrated with my brother and his family with some quality time. Isn’t this what it should be about?? To me, it is the parent’s responsibilty to set the examples we want our children to live by.

17. Maria says:

hello,

I am a mother of a 2 year old boy. I don’t do easter basket. I teach him the real meaning of easter. From mom a talk about easter and god, a new tooth brush, new spring outfit, and new sneakers. His grandfather gets him a basket, but he also takes on a trip or an outing. This year they went to disney world for 3 days. We would rather give him good lessons on the real meaning of easter. I let his grandparnets spoil him with te treats and toys. That is how my family always did easter.

18. Paula says:

Easter in my family means getting together for a really huge meal, hiding eggs for young and old. Yes my mother and her siblings all still hunt for eggs. As the years go by the higher up we have to hide them. They dont bend as good as the use to. i want my kids to see that holidays should be spent with family and friends. In our family the more the merrier.

19. Ashley Mommie of 3 says:

I also agree Easter is way overdone. I also over due it. My children also do not know the meaning of Easter. When I was younger we went to Church every Easter Sunday. I did this year, however, shop less and my kids were no less happy or satisfied with what they got. I was happy with their joy of the small amount of candy and a small prize of bubbles and a new dvd. Of course later the family celebrated with a rather large cookout and over 400 plastic eggs stuffed with candy Easter Egg Hunt. I went to bed at 6pm. :)

20. Easter like Christmas is way to commercialized. We tend to forget the true reason we celebrate these holidays. It’s a sad fact but we really do neglect to show our children what these holidays mean and should reflect. I’ve never gone over board with Eater gift giving but I think I have been guilty of over doing Christmas gift giving. Maybe we should revert back to the true meaning of the holidays and learn to enjoy our families and friends and appreciate one another like we are supposed to.

21. Maria Encinas says:

This year we boycotted the commercialism of Easter. It is just too much. We spend the day outside loving the weather in Charlotte, NC. The kids did get a small basket of Easter candy. But no toys. We played family games of soccer and toss. We colored the eggs as a family. We then all made and barbequed a great dinner. More time as family is what the holidays are all about. My husband and I both feel the true meaning of the holidays is family time. Not what can you buy me, or who has more. That is what is lost, the family time. And what is funny, is that I have 4 kids, and 2 are teenagers, who love to spend the time with family so much that their friends come to us and join in.

22. youthsarah says:

Thank you for your blog on overdoing Easter. Our girls are still little (both under 2), and we did buy them each a “present,” but we stuck to under $10 and bought them spring toys for outside, which was something they needed. We also did not buy any candy for Easter day, instead we bought it the day after for 50% off. I don’t know if this will continue to work as the kids get older, but it works for now!

23. Pamela says:

Growing up, we would get dressed up for Easter, have an egg hunt with the colored eggs, and of course the easter basket full of candy. After church, it was off to visit the grandparents for the day.

I’m happy to say that now that I’m a mom, I’m doing what I can to give my children the Easter I grew up with. Fancy dresses, easter baskets, coloring eggs, and an egg hunt. We go to church in the morning and visit the grandparents in the afternoon. I’ve scaled down the chocolate and added a small toy. And the egg hunt is now with plastic eggs filled with coins and m&ms. And can’t forget the Easter flowers. For the meaning of Easter, I talk to my children about why we celebrate the holiday, what it means, and why it’s special.

24. Linda McDade says:

I am on my second-round of children; ages 5 and 7. They knew when they woke up they could go ahead and look for their Easter baskets, each of which had 12 mini-chocolate eggs and a $2 toy–they were delighted!! I also have 2 grown children who are 30 and 24, with a 4-year-old granddaughter. Each of my 5 know that Easter is the celebration that Jesus arose from the grave to be our Savior. We go to church every Sunday, but Easter morning has a potluck Easter brunch at 9am, followed by Sunday School for all ages, then the Church Worship Service. I have continued my Mom’s tradition of spring Easter outfits, this year with stylish white gloves and hats for the girls we found at the Dollar Store!! We all came back to my house for an egg-hunt for the little ones (which used to be at my Mom’s, but she is in Heaven now.) Then while snacking on the deviled Easter eggs etc., EVERYONE helped to varying degrees with dinner preparations while mostly joking and visiting and just plain enjoying being together. The little ones ripped lettuce, washed grape tomatoes and Russet potatoes, and grated carrots; the 7-yr old with Much supervision trimmed the bottoms off the asparagus stalks then she supervised setting the table! While the Leg of Lamb was roasting, the two adult-children got to search for their baskets–again with 12 chocolates and a $2 toy–how we laugh!!

25. Samantha du Plessis says:

Hi Rachael

Easter in South Africa is always a great time to look forward to as it always turns into a long weekend
    for us, great time to just relax and appreciate friends and family .

Since Monday was a holiday for us, it was the first time in a very long time that I got to watch your show.

I like the fact that you have such a fun and relaxed approach.

I know that we must be behind with the current
    episodes, but I must say those tuna burgers which you made looked delicious!

Really wish your show was on later in the evening though, would love to catch it more often.

Keep up the good work!

Sam
    Sunny Cape Town, SA

26. Denise says:

It’s like any holiday. It’s the rituals the sameness the excitement and fun you derive from it that makes it a Holiday. My father’s family gets together every Holiday. We celebrate as an immediate family every holiday with a meal, activity, and togetherness. However, some Holidays we do with extended family to create more fun. My aunts is not the same w/o the easter egg hunt on easter. We still do ours at home with our children. But if the adults aren’t having fun the kids will not feel it either.
    It’s about having Fun Together

27. Susie says:

For Patricia who wants to add more meaningful traditions to Easter.

Think of Easter as it was originally intended, a day to celebrate the resurrection of Christ. Like many other Christian holidays, it unfortunately has been commercialized and lost much of it’s meaning. The “Easter Bunny” and “eggs” are a non-Christian distortion of the real purpose of the day.

Consider taking part in a Christian Easter morning service as a local church followed by a family dinner. Perhaps the family can read from the Bible, John chapters 18-20 and talk about it over dinner.

28. Meagan says:

A friend of mine is really into the healthy living and is very anti-sweets. This year her kids had an easter hunt but there were no eggs involved. The easter bunny hid crayola markers all through the house instead. I thought it was such a cute idea. Not only is there the excitment of the hunt for them. They get a present which will last much longer than the chocolate would.

29. Dorenda says:

I have always promoted the REAL reason for Easter. I may buy a card and a token chocolate bunny….but educating my family about Easter and spending time together (with a great meal) is paramount.

30. Jeanine says:

As a mom of two babes, my husband and I are committed to keeping faith interwoven into the baskets, the egg hunt, and the entire season. I refer to the Easter “season”, because in many Christian traditions (Catholics and Orthodox) Easter, like Christmas, should be celebrated over an extended period of time. This could help combat the commercialism.

In the National Catholic Register I have seen some creative ways to pass on an Easter basket of joy and faith:

- have theme-based Easter baskets and baskets that include prayers, religious medals, religious music CDs, etc.
    - add special note cards that include parents making a special prmoise to a child
    -Shower the child in whatever they may have given up for Lent
    -put pictures of family activities including pictures of the family doing a service project or attending a special event together
    -put praises in the basket (i.e., a banner that says, “world’s best sister”)
    -give a framed picture of something your child accomplished that last year (a school recital, art project, etc.)
    -pass along an age appropriate family heirloom

Our family also always makes a traditional lamb dinner and church is a must.

Happy Easter!

31. Karie says:

I remember getting a kite every year in my basket. But they didn’t usually last all year so we needed a new one the following Easter. My kids don’t get kites, they have some fairly nice kites that have been holding up really well. But I try not to go overboard for Easter. I tend to put a movie(usually Veggie Tales) in each basket that we can watch together after church. A chocolate bunny and some jelly beans or something similar and all are happy. And I do try to make the girls both a new Easter/Spring dress for them to wear for the first time to church on Easter Sunday.

32. Deb says:

My kids are almost grown now, but I usually tried to give them a book or game with a SMALL amount of candy in a basket. Coloring eggs was a family activity the day before and we spent Easter with extended family fixing and enjoying dinner together. After dinner we had an “egg fight”. Everyone selected a hardboiled egg, and last year’s “champ” selected an opponent and holding their egg in hand tried to break the shell of their opponenet’s egg without breaking their own. It gets quite rowdy, loud, and fun with lots of cheering and coaching going on! The last one “whole” gets to start the following year.

33. Lisa says:

We just celebrated our son’s first Easter … he’s only 5.5 months old so I didn’t have to worry about candy. Everyone still bought him presents though … mostly spring/summer clothes and stuffed animals. We figure next year when he kind of “gets” it, we’re only going to hide big plastic eggs filled with things like cheerios, goldfish, and the snacks that he can eat … he’ll only be about 18 months so still far to young for candy. As for presents, my siblings and I always got one or two gifts for easter. It was generally some sort of spring outdoor toy and a new outfit… so we will probably still continue that tradition … Christmas is a whole other story though lol

34. Karen says:

Once again, a religious holiday is turned into mega-shopping circus.
    I get it for Christmas, but really, Easter? Easter is celebrated because a miracle happened long ago, not because a guy gets dressed up in a bunny suit. My sisters and I are Catholic (can you tell?) and we too got all dressed up in new dresses and shoes, went to Mass to celebrate the real reason for Easter, and then visited each set of grandparents. My mom made baskets of candy for each of us, which we loved and we had Easter egg hunts.

The day before Easter I was in Target and I was standing next to a lady with a list in her hand…a LIST! She said she was Easter shopping for her grandkids. My kids each had a basket with traditional Easter goodies: chocolate bunnies, Peeps, and jelly beans. Do they really need more?????

35. hannah says:

My parents always made sure to incorporate the real reason for Easter into our day. Along with the eggs we colored, during the hunt we would find religious items that symbolized the holiday, like a cross, thirty pieces of silver (usualy a quarter and a nickel), gauze, crown of thorns (made from a rose bush), etc… After we collected all the items we layed them out and the three of us kids had to describe what each item that we found was and what it represented, from Judas betraying Jesus, to his Resurrection. This was son’s first Easter and we didn’t do anything special. He is too young to understand. Next year we may have a hunt, but I will definately continue my mom’s tradition.

36. chris gamble says:

I too am in the same place with the over buying for Easter. I use to fill my childrens baskets with hardboiled eggs that we did together, one small toy, some jellybeans and a marshmallow peep. Now, they are 24 & 25, and I find myself spending at least $100.00 a piece on each of them. Before I read your article, Easter had just passed, I decided earlier that no more was I going to spend these crazy amounts, I will explain to them and send them a card with a $25.00 gas card in each.

37. Valerie says:

I thought it was just me! I was amazed to learn about several other families who gave their kids Christmas type items for Easter. When my kids were little I always threw in little inexpensive items such as coloring books & crayons and a tiny stuffed toy so the basket would not be filled to the rim with candy. But this is ridiculous. Even now that my kids are teens I still do the basket but I now subsitute a small portion of “good” chocolate (no more of the junky, bad easter stuff) and a tiny trinket. It’s the thought that counts and I still want them to share in the joy of Easter and the thrill of seeing what they’ll getin their Easter basket.

38. Kelli says:

I find it interesting that people give gifts for Easter, I guess thats just not a New Zealand tradition. To us Easter is a family time, and a typical Easter for us would be to have family meals with the grandies and siblings, we hide a few chocolate eggs/bunnies in the garden for the kids and they hunt them out. Thats about it, we might colour eggs or somthing similar as a family, but there is definitely no gift giving involved. Christian holidays have become too commercialised and I dont think people actually remember what it is theyre celebrating.

39. Rachel says:

My mother never went over board with Easter and I have tried to stick with that with my three kids. They each get a chocolate bunny and a small present. My kids, reprectively got books, toys train cars, and gardening tools in their Easter baskets this year. Grandma splurged on them this year and got each of the kids a movie. They hunted for eggs in the yard filled with pennies and jelly beans. They spent time at the park while I cooked with my sister. The day ended with a lovely dinner and lots of family. My kids didn’t seem to be feeling jipped that they didn’t get a “big present.” The only time they get one of those is on their birthday, which is their special day as no one else in the house shares it with them. I am not above spoiling my children and do so making each and every holiday no matter how small an event, I just don’t do it with stuff that will continue to fill the house until it overflows.

40. mommakbass says:

My Mom has an Easter Basket with 12 plastic eggs in it. Each egg has an item that represents the Crusifiction and Resurection Of Jesus Christ. One of the eggs has 30 pieces of silver another has a thorn and other such items. You can find these at your Christian Book Store. My mom does get my three boys a few small candies and a stuffed animal but we do not go all out. We do not do the big family get togethers like when I was little because all of our family has moved away and my great grand parents are no longer with us. We helped with our Church’s egg hunt by helping to fill almost 3000 eggs with candy. Each of the 85 children got not only candy but also a small toy and most importantly a book that told the story of Christ. To us that is the reason to celebrate not only that day but everyday.

41. Debbie says:

I think Easter is a fine time to hunt for colored eggs, get a chocolate bunny, get favorite candies. If you can find Easter themed books, or give the kid(s) warm weather toys or replace an outgrown bike or skates, that’s extra special.

If I had my way, I’d be granting people’s wishes for a living. I love any excuse to celebrate, and am glad I was able to treat my family to occassional Happy Meals, something my mom felt was a waste of money.

My husband is much the same way. There’s never enough money for my fancy frills (if I want something over a few dollars, it has to go on a charge card) , but he owns a Harley Davidson, and is an avid fisherman. And I hear all the time how he can’t afford to fix the blown engine or go fishing. Any money I make goes straight to charge cards because he won’t let me have any money in my account. I’d need to make at least $3000 to fully support our minimum monthly bills. More to get ahead.

They feel I’ve had it too easy for too long, but strangers have commented how I was a bird in a gilded cage as a child, and I’m still in a cage as an adult. I still treat them with kindness because I don’t have a safe haven with my birth family nor in my adult life.

42. cristal says:

I realize I found this thread well after Easter, but we started a great tradition when our kids were young and they still love it now. For our Easter egg hunt, we put in some candy, some change but the best thing we put in are slips of paper with family or one on one activities. With 3 kids it can be difficult to get in time alone with each one. The slips of paper have “walk with mom”,”pick the family movie”, “cocoa with dad”, “date with parent of choice”,”pick family activity”(like mini golf or bowling), “dinner of your choice”, “3 person slumber party” etc. The ideas change each year based on ages and things(one year everyone got a trip to the bookstore to encourage reading) but the favorite ones are always the alone time with us. While we do include some small items in their baskets(earrings,books,chalk,kites)we try to focus on the family and the real meaning of Easter-even when it is hard to pass up the video games and clothes they ask for!

43. dd big fan says:

hi i dont think u should stop over doing it . look kids love getting toys fom the easter bunnybut if they dont get as many toys as last time thentheyll be sad cuz the easter bunny deosnt love them any more and no parent wants that.

44. T says:

I have always bought my kids new clothes for church for easter basket stuffers. We keep the candy small because they get a hunt there and its huge.
    So it has been a focus on Jesus with us, and we do hide regular eggs, because they are a great object lesson for the day as well! Jesus giving us
    new life in Christ’. And I decided just this year that I want to give my kids an actual gift this year, something out of the norm, not big great price kind of thing to symbolise the great gift that Jesus gave us when he gave up his life for our sins.

I have not been into the “bunny thing” and have always told my kids the truth about all holidays. Infact we study the holidays so we know what they started as and why we want to or do not want to celebrate them. I think that is a wise thing for all parents to do, cause some holidays are just not cool.
    Anyway, celebrating by doing something good for another person is a good thing.. if you dont want to buy your kids a gift why not think of something that would be a sacrifice for you to do… clean thier room for them… take the trash out for them… you know what I mean?

45. Liz says:

Hello,

I think I’m the odd ball on this one. I am not a Christian so there is no significance of what the holiday should mean to me.

To me, Easter is about Chocolate Bunnies and blue stained fingers from coloring eggs. We grill out, polenta and veggies, and hang out as a family, play with the dogs in the back yard and eat chocolate bunnies! (The humans, not the dogs, the dogs can’t have chocolate – lol) and everyone is very happy.

I think religion is great, if it means something to you and you follow it every day, religion can be a wonderful thing. I think if you don’t follow your religion daily and then try to over do it on the religious holidays of your faith you’re missing out on something. I think it’s very difficult to expect children to know, follow, and understand their parents religion if their parents do not practice their religion and live their faith every single day and not just the holidays. So, I think if you don’t live it daily, stop beating yourself up when it comes time for the holiday, eat a cholcolate bunny, enjoy the spring weather and go on with life. When all is said and done at the end of the day, your kids will remember how you lived your life, what your values were, and that you spent time with them. That’s the important thing.

Peace and happiness,
    Liz
    *flame me if you like*

46. Leanna says:

Each and every year, my three kids get an Easter basket full of eggs and one small toy. This year was different, I did one basket full of eggs and let the kids divide them up how they please. Of course i still had the one small $5 toy. You are right, when did Easter become about celebrating presents? At least my children know the reason we have Easter, and hope they will continue to understand as the years go by.

47. Jill McKechnie says:

Sadly, getting caught up in the gift-giving at Easter seems almost rampant in our society. Although I love egg hunts as much as the next person, (and we had one at which my nineteen year old nephew participated), I think it’s important to remember the real meaning of Easter. This year, my husband and I did something different. On Good Friday, we sat down with our children reminding them about Christ’s death, burial and resurrection. We then each drank wine (grape juice) and ate bread to symbolize the last supper of Jesus. The juice representing the blood he shed and the bread representing His body that was broken for us. We then left a piece of bread and small cup of juice on the breakfast table for the rest of the week-end(it didn’t get moldy). Late Saturday night, my husband got rid of the bread and juice, leaving only an empty cup and a few crumbs. We wanted the boys to remember that on Easter Jesus was resurrected from the grave. Next morning, my kids were rushing around, and didn’t notice the juice and bread were gone until right before we left the house. “Hey,” said my oldest son. “Where’s the juice and the bread?” “Well, you never know,” I said. “Who knows where it went? ” And of course, he replied, “I bet Daddy took it! I bet it was just like the tooth fairy and Santa – you guys did it!” Not quite the reaction we were looking for, but I think we got them to think, at least, beyond the bunny, and on to the real meaning of Easter – God coming down as man to save us.

48. Beth Ann says:

I’m so pleased that folks are addressing this issue – my Easter memories are of chocolate and church, Easter bonnets and bunny rabbits. Somehow, expensive gifts have made their way into the baskets, with dinners becoming similar to Thanksgiving… this year, we actually had a “traditional” Easter turkey, with pumpkin pie for dessert!

What I’ve done now is ensured the whole family makes their way to church, our regular 11:15 a.m. service, and I also attend our 7:00 a.m. ecumenical sunrise service at our Old Stone Church, sans heat and electricity, but bursting with Christian love!

Gifts… well… we do continue to buy extras for the Easter baskets (for children ages 16 and 11.) This year, a camouflage-designed, metal-rimmed Bible found its way to my son’s basket, and my daughter received a fashionable Bible cover, designed like the best of purses.

The ongoing balance – allowing childlike-fun to be mixed with messages of the real purpose of Easter celebrations. He Is Risen Indeed!

49. Janae Palet says:

I found myself thinking the very same thing as I was checking at Wal-Mart. A little late I admit but next year I am going to work on this problem.

They even had kids toys that were packaged just for easter. My little pony came equipped with fuzzy bunny ears to slip on. And yes I did fall for this ploy but I vow that from now on I will run the other way when I see these displays.

And when I asked my daughter what she thought the Easter bunny would bring she said Goodies, when asked what kind she decided it would be blueberries, so I could have gotten away with real fruit, there is a great idea for next year!

50. meghan says:

I am so glad there are other people in this world that agree with me…Easter is not Christmas!!! I have found myself in this trap feeling I must buy, buy, buy for our 3 kids. Well no more.