Mom of Picky Eater

My kid wont eat ANYTHING!! Well, except…

I have a picky eater son, as you know if you read my blog. As he gets older, he seems to drop more and more foods off his list of acceptable choices. I try to sneak in the “healthy” alternatives like brown rice instead of white, but he is hip to my game now and gives me a tight lip when I try to sneak a bite into his mouth(maybe I should try half and half next time). However there are a few healthy versions of foods that still seem to work and really do taste good.

Nitrate-free products like Applegate Farms Organic Chicken Hot Dogs and Chicken-Maple Breakfast Sausage.

These products are widely available and taste great! They have a beef and a turkey hot dog as well, but the chicken is our favorite. So I don’t really care if my son eats hot dogs regularly, as long as he is eating these. They don’t hold up so well on the grill so my advice is to boil them.

Almond butter, but it has to be creamy. I made the mistake of trying the chunky kind, which I really enjoy, but he found frightening. Almond butter is a nice alternative to peanut butter and you can find organic brands in health food stores. Mara Natha has a “No Stir” kind which is great because it never gets that oil/nut butter separation that I can’t stand!

Healthy cereals instead of the sugary kinds. He actually loves Kashi’s Heart to Heart and so do I. I love the ingredients, which includes a variety of grains and low sugar. I seem to be able to sneak in some of the high fiber cereals into his day, as he eats them without milk sort of like a snack. I really like the Kashi products because you can find them everywhere.

Spelt breads and other products that contain no wheat or gluten gives him a variety of flavors but in a product he enjoys, like toast or bagels. I choose Rudi’s Organic products so I know he is not getting bread that contains corn syrup or other additives.

What do your picky eaters like?

16 Responses to “My kid wont eat ANYTHING!! Well, except…”

1. Veronica says:

I need help Rachel. I have a picky eater at home who won’t eat any meal that has sause. He likes his meals DRY. Also he doesn’t like to bite into garlic and onion. It has to be finely minced that he won’t be able to see it or bite into. He is also not a fan of pasta only spaghetti and not a big fan of chicken either. Can you come up with some recipes for me Rachel? Thank you

2. Susan Rosemarin says:

Rachel,

I’m posting this here as I can’t find a place to post a blog regarding your dog food, Nutrish. I have to comment on how GREAT this dog food is. My dog has been a finicky eater since after she was 6 months old – she is now 2 1/2 and was actually to the point of having to hand feed her to get her to eat. I have tried the most expensive dog foods per my veterinarian’s recommendation – no luck. I saw your dog food at the grocery store, read the ingredients and also went on to your web site and felt comfortable with trying it. OH, BOY – as soon as I opened the bag, Leah (my baby – 70 lbs of lab mix) went crazy – she LOVED it – and consistently! Now feeding time is no longer a stress – I put her dry food in dish and it is GONE in 5 minutes – and no tummy upsets – you created a great, healthy dog food that I approve of and my Leah LOVES! THANK YOU!

3. Marianne says:

I need help transitioning my 5 year old picky eater into eating more foods. She’ll eat mac n’cheese, chicken nuggets with ketchup, pizza, pbj sandwhiches, and baked goods (breads, muffins, pancakes), cheerios, goldfish, and fruits. Juice, milk, candy. That’s it. How can I start to introduce new foods, one at a time–what is safest?

4. Ruth says:

Hi Rachael,
    We need help as we have a 15 month old and she doesn’t eat baby food anymore, but is refusing to eat table food. It is a struggle to get her to eat one bite or to try anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are willing to try anything at this point!

5. Jennifer says:

Hi Rachel,
    I have a 4 year old who is an extremely picky eater. He eats McDonald’s chicken nuggets, Mac and Cheese from the blue box, chocolate milk, popsicles,and a couple other things but nothing fruit and vegetable related. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. raquel says:

That sounds soooo good! I will give it a try.

7. Genie Coats says:

Dear Moms, whose kids won’t eat right,
    I am a grandmother, and I, of course, am older than most of you, but if you would like to know what worked in my childhood, and with my children, I will be happy to tell you my experiences.
    My Mother was a nurse, and had had nutritional training, and she was also from the country. She was firm, and yet very loving. She knew from her own experiences in childhood, and her education, what was best, and what worked.
    When she cooked our family meals, she always balanced them with one of each: meat, green and yellow vegetables, a starch food {potatoes, or pasta, or corn or rice}, and a fruit, and bread, and milk, til we were about 10, then sweet tea. We did have dessert on Sunday, after Church. She never had candy in the house, and when we came home from school, there were apples, peaches, bananas, etc, which we all shared. None of us five were sick very often, and thus hardly ever missed school.
    We sat down to eat with the family, and she put on each of our plates, what we had to eat. There were no excuses allowed, and we would not get up from the table, until we had cleaned our plates. She would tell us, if we complained, “honey, you have to take a little taste, and let your mouth get used to it, it is good for you, and your body needs it. It will help keep you from being sick, and that is why God made it for you. Remember, I am a nurse, and I have studied to know what is good for you, too.” We listened, and did what she said, because she meant what she said. There were only a few times when one of us ever had to sit at the table til we ate what was on our plate, but the few times, was a lesson to all of us, so it didn’t have to occur but a few times. It helps for the parent to be the authority in the family, this gives the children security.
    Even other people in the family, such as Aunts and Uncles would do the same. My favorite Uncle John, encouraged me to drink buttermilk, and I love it til this day. He told me, when I complained about having to drink it, “darlin’ if you will just take a little taste, and let your tongue get used to it, you will like it, and it will help keep you healthy.” I believed him, and of course, it worked. To this day, it benefits me to settle an upset stomach, and I found out later, that our system needs yogurt or buttermilk regularly, to keep the good bacteria in our systems, to fight off the bad bacteria, that tries to harm us.
    As my Mother told me, our good health physically, and mentally are the most valuable things, because without them, we cannot enjoy anything in life. Because of our elders’ wisdom and common sense, our family has had good health, and
    enjoyed life. Children have to learn to make wise choices, and this is one of the most important that they need to learn to make. I wish the best for all of you and yours. God bless our new generations!
    Genie

8. Beth says:

I too have a very picky eater. This is very difficult for me since I grew up with parents that made just about everything under the sun (and yes, we had to at least try it). My oldest does not like tomatos or peas, and I scoff when they say, “Just hide it”. She picks through her food and will pick out the littlest pieces of peppers, greens, whatever. I do have to say though, we have introduced thing little by little. She loves broccoli now, and she will eat avocados!! The only reason she does this though is because her little sister loves, loves, loves them and she did not want to be undone by her little sis.

9. Lisa says:

I feel for all of you that have “picky eaters”!! I am the mother of an 8 year old….who used to be extremely picky as well. She was the McDonalds kid…the one who would never try anything new….would cry at the idea of mixing foods….etc. The most important thing that I realized was that being consistant was the most important thing. If I was going to get her to learn to be less picky….I had to be willing to put in the work…all of the time. That meant no more giving in…NO MATTER WHAT! The biggest thing that I started to do was have her help me in the kitchen to make the food. I found she was much more likely to try to eat something that she made. Textures are often difficult for kids…it’s not so much that they don’t like the taste, but rather the texture. I slowly got my daughter used to different textures and made her identify the difference as well between taste and texture. I also never left an alternative…dinner was served…she either ate it or she didn’t. But no other options were given and the leftovers from the portion I gave her were to be finished….if not for dinner, than for breakfast. She once had scrambled eggs served to her for breakfast, lunch and then she finally ate them all for dinner. As parents we worry so much about getting our children the right amounts of nutrition…that we give in thinking as long as they eat….but we must be sure to not enable their behavior.

10. Deborah says:

I dont have a picky eater because I didnt serve them all the foods you mentioned above or take them to fast food places except a few times a year if theres no place else and we were tired
    I let them go gorcery shopping and marvel about how beautioful and lusious every thing in the produce stand was and taught them how to pick produce and let them pick green beans and other things them selves Id pick the first one and show it and explain why we want only ones Just like this one its the best one and put it next to them on a nother pile of produce to match them up till they didnt need to do that buy teaching them how to buy produce and watch me store and cook and prepare and letting them help out I never had a problem at all my daughter NEVER got colds or flus and al lthe other ailments all the3 other kids got, some times wed have all vegetable meals very brightly colored like baked sweet potatoes greenbeans roasted red peppers and a salad of lettuces cukes tomatoes sometimes even strawberries thrown in or whatever we had that seemed fun to add and marvel how beautiful they were and delisious and how good they tasted.
    once she did want spagettios and some other kiddie comerical food so i made it for her and she saw it slopped on her plate and how dull looking and salty it was and WATCHED ME EAT OUR USUAL HEALTHY FARE SHE STARED TO CRY AND SAID I CANT EAT THIS ITS TERRIBLE.., SO that was the end of it She eat leftover roast peppers and brocolli for after school snack i baked sometimes vegan or homemade cookies and once a year my blueberry pie and peach ice cream in the summer
    One day as a tween she said OH GOSH I HAVE GOT TO HAVE A LOAD OF VEGGIES OR I’LL GO ZOMBIE!
    just remeber you gave them those junk foods first off
    DONT DO IT
    and stick to your guns
    this is whats for dinner this isnt a resturant
    if they dont like anything they can eat bread
    seriously
    be firm dont break down and NEVER USE FOOD AS A REWARD
    and as far as babies do not put sugar in there milk or cereal
    do not give them punch or kool aide or day glow foods as tots
    not everyone will love ALL FOODS and I never recomend FORCE FEEDING but they should try it a bite to decide
    but stand firm
    this is what we have to eat for this meal
    do not negotiate meal times
    except for there birthday cake
    what flavor
    what favorite meal
    My daughter wanted chocolate cake and anything with tomato sauce
    infact a bowl of maranaria sauce and some bread would suit her just fine\
    also some times Id say today is candy day
    we d go to the candy store and buy small indindvidual -pieces of candy a dollars or two no more worth put in a little paper bag
    this was clearly a TREAT not an every day thing
    we d share and enjoy it espeically the super sour stuff and chewy stuff and it was like a party a few times now and then on a nice evening or day
    other than that it was understood candy isnt something you eat every day like apples and oranges and fruits and veggies for snacks
    it was clearly a TREAT and wee d brush our teeth soon after our sweet feast
    my daughter at 20 still has NO CAVITIES and has only had one small little cold and a 24 hr flu she caught in a Drs waiting room
    her bones are srtrong and she is tall and healthy and clear eyed and done very well in school she always was onthe honor roll and is in a university 4 years schoolarship and total finacial aide
    I know good eating habits are the reason
    and a veggie drink instead of a coke is the way to go or juice and soda water as a spritzer

11. kurt says:

Try giving your kids Chews Better (www.chewsbetter.com)! It’s a healthy, all-natural candy with goodies like omega-3s, vitamins, and fiber…and they are delicious. It’s a really easy way to get some nutrition into your kids.

12. Laura says:

My daughter is the absolute worse. I grew up as a fussy eater and still am today but getting better. My daughter, is even worse than me and I really didn’t think that could be humanly possible lol! She won’t eat sandwiches so packing her lunch for school is a pain. She has some dry cereal, some crips, some biscuits, bread sticks and an orange which the majourity of the time she won’t eat because she doesn’t fruit or veg. It is a PAIN. At least I WOULD eat fruit growing up!

13. Lisa says:

My 11 year old son is a fanatic about what goes in his mouth. If he doesn’t like what it looks like, he just refuses to eat it. I have bribed, bargained, made him sit there and nothing works. He refuses to eat fruit and vegetables except corn and strawberries. I cant make a caserole he wont eat anything that has been mixed. I am at my witts end with trying to get him to eat healthy. Because of his poor eating habits he is overweight. I am lost at what I am to do as a parent. His dad was a picky eater and so I believe he has picked some up from him.

14. happyface says:

Our kids are picky eaters and when we worry they may not have had enough fruits, we “treat” them to smoothies. My husband has plenty of recipes from the internet and the kids seem to like the dairy free type best. When in a pinch, we keep store bought bottled smoothies on hand to provide some nutritious energy on the way out the door to dance class or football. A recent favorite is Chadwick Bay Strawberry. It is 100% juice, 150 calories per serving, and dairy free so it does not need to be refrigerated prior to opening. Now if we can just find a way to “treat” them to veggies!

15. Julie says:

Oh I am so on with alot of what evreyone said. Besides banana, my son eats no friut, and veggies are corn and peas! Chicken nuggets, fries, mac and cheese frozen waffles and buttered noddles are it in his world. HELP!

16. Katie says:

Hi Everyone

I am now 21 and have always been a picky eater! I dont know what the solution is but my advice is not to let your kids just eat what they like. Unfortunatly you may have to force them to eat foods the dont like with the other option being they dont get anything. I wish my parents did this! They just let me eat the very few things that I liked and now at age 21 Im still eating the same foods.