Rach
by

Ahem…about my throat procedure

Thanks to everyone for all their kind words. I’m fine!!!! And happy to have an excuse to be quiet for a few days. My doctors feel I’ll be okay to chat it up again by week’s end. I feel guilty for all the lovely flowers and notes I have been getting – I was back in the kitchen cooking three hours after the procedure. Thanks again!

-Rach

A word from Rachael’s doctor:

“On July 7th, Rachael Ray had a ambulatory procedure to remove a small benign cyst from her vocal cord,” said Dr. Gwen S. Korovin who performed the procedure. “The non-invasive procedure took less than an hour and required absolutely no stitches. The recovery process requires a short period of complete vocal rest. The successful procedure will now prevent Rachael from experiencing the vocal issues she has had in the past.”

171 Responses to “Ahem…about my throat procedure”

1. obearlady says:

hi there i went though the same throat stuff ok what did you start to eat? on solid foods i am tired of soup my throat is raw from the tubs

2. Lori Benson says:

Hi Rachael! First I am so glad that you are doing much better. I am a new fan of yours. : )

I was raised in a foster home with Italian Parents and make my own sauce from scratch that my foster mother taught me. I so enjoyed the one that you had on your show – an also wanted to let you know that I made the Stuff Shell Casserole you had on your show, for dinner tonight. WOW delish for sure!! I do not think I will be any time soon standing over the counter stuffing shells. (lol) This receipe is sooooo yummy! My hubby loved it, I loved it!
    May you and your show keep on giving us such pleasure, kindness, and bunches of smiles!!! oh Yes excellent receipes to! Keep up the good work…..
    Sincerely,
    Lori Benson

3. Trina says:

Rach, I watched your program today and you are still horse. What is up with that? I hope you feel better soon…
    take care

4. TED says:

Rest Well M.G.B.

5. Wylie says:

I’m so sorry for the off-topic nature of this, but I’ve had this particular burr in my brain for (what feels like) ever.

Whenever anyone lists out all the popular Rachael Ray expressions, they all avoid this one, and I think it’s for the same reason I haven’t written it yet (it’s a good word!) – that said, exactly how the heck DO you spell it:

Jeuj?
    Juge?
    Jeush?
    Jeuzh?
    Geugg?

Is it French? Is it a self-fabricated word? This has eaten the brain of my inner word geek for far too long. I mean, it’s not like I can exactly search for it in the dictionary or online, because I haven’t a clue how it even starts!

Please, someone save me from this brain melt!

Thanks much,

Kat

6. Cheryl Vinckus says:

Rachel,
    First, I love ya! Go get yourself a hot steam humidifier (they’re about $20 at the corner drug store) and place it next to your bed. Run it every single night (don’t miss one night). I had similiar voice issues. After trying all sorts of therapies, the humidifer gave me my voice back right away. If I miss a night, then the next day I have no voice again! I sounded just like you sound. You come from the mountains of NY State and I do too (well, sort of, I have a summer house). Last fall I noticed too many trees with very green mold on them and I really truely believe that mold is making lots and lots of people sick…Please try the hot steam humidifer for a few nights and see if your voice gets a little better.
    Cheryl V (New York City and Jefferson, NY)

7. Phil R. says:

I am glad to see you are okie…..hope all is well with you. Ms. Ray Can I offer my fantastic sausage stew recipe to you to use on your show.

8. Debby says:

I am glad things are looking good. Hey Rach you wear some of the prettiest necklaces – like the one when reg was on your show- where do you get them?

9. Sandra says:

I am so glad that you did this for yourself and did not put it off. I have had vocal nodes from over-use, pressing performance schedules and allergies. I was so scared to do anything for fear it would be the wrong thing to do. I researched and consulted with many singers and doctors and through vocal rest, vocal therapy, diet and life changes I slowly got well. I still sing and teach. What a joy it was to perform again for the public after extended vocal rest and therapy! When your voice is part of your mission in life, you really appreciate when it is back.:-) DO not try to do things too soon just because you can. Follow doctor’s orders please and do not allow your audience/fans/friends/family to drive your recovery schedule. I speak from experience. All mean well but you are the one that will live with the consequences.You want this to be a permanent fix not a stop gap to the “next time”. Don’t mean to be preachy but I’m concerned. Prayers for your speedy recovery!

10. sheila says:

Rachel,

I haven’t watched your show since your surgery. What a surprise when I finally starting watching again. I’m a retired Speech Pathologist and had noticed that you had symptoms of vocal nodules. I’m very happy that you had the surgery. Your voice sounds so much clearerand pleasant. I’m glad that it worked for you.

11. Nadia Ramin says:

Hi Rachel Ray. my name is Nadia Ramin and we are doing a iron chef competion at school and you are our inspiration and we are doing your recipes. we would love if you came tour school at nazareth middle school in Pa. we would love your company.

12. Marcia Casanto says:

Dear Rachel, I have listened to your throat saga, and have hoped you would find something to help. My husband has had throat problems for years and has had two surgeries, He has finally found relief. Just one tablespoon of Buckwheat Honey before bed and his troubles are over. Hope this helps. Best of Luck Marcia

13. Katie says:

Dear Rachel,

Hi my name is Katie. I don’t know of any other way to contact you so I hope this is okay. Back in October I lost a great family friend. He was 73. He loved your shows. He would watch them everyday. When he was in the hospital he would still watch your shows. Every time he came over for dinner he would say how you would cook something and we should try it that way one day. He really did love your shows. I just wanted to thank you for being on TV and for being you. Thank you.

Katie

14. Patricia says:

Dear Rachel, I have been following your show about Christina and her weight loss. I missed the July 18th show regarding the prom. I tried to find it on your website but couldn’t. Please let me know if you will be airing it again and when. I love your show and always watch it and DVR it when I’m not going to be home. Keep up the good work!!

Patricia

15. Debora says:

Rachael, I listen to your show as much as possible and I even cook some of your meals. I have a friend I cook for and he loves all the meals I cook.. I just had surgery on my neck and had my throat moved to do the procedure..I can feel for you and know how it feels when you aren’t able to talk very well..I now have trouble eating and swallowing.. I’m glad to know that you came through the surgery with no problems..Keep up the good work with the show.. Debora

16. Sue R. says:

Just goes to show that you can’t keep a good woman down!! Recently my mom told me that she has a paralysed vocal cord. I’ve never heard of such a thing so I did some research and it could possibly be cancerous. My mom being a strong woman like yourself I can only hope and hold my breath that like you comes through this with little incident. Keep on cooking. Take care. Alittle tip, frozen spinich is great on pizza.

17. Nancy says:

Rach, I am so glad you are well again. I watch your show everyday, most often while prepping my own dinner.
    I too underwent surgery for something they found wrapped around my Larnxe, I was not so luck, the tumor could not be removed and came back as cancer. I am happy to say that after 28 raditation treatments, I am just 13 months clear. Not saying that I did not undergo pure hell during treatment. I was unable to swallow with out meds to numb me. I am still working on getting my voice back. It will never be the same again. Once year after I was told my news now my 80 year old mother was told she has breast cancer. We have a good outlook on this and we will keep fighting and beating this cancer from out lives.

18. Allison says:

I thought that I would share an great story about a 12yr old kid that uses a Rachel Ray cookbook to make dinner every night for his family. The story touches my heart and thought it would Rachels also.

Tampa- Tampa Bay’s youngest heroes are being recognized for their selfless deeds.

The Tampa Bay Lightning, center Steve Steven Stamkos and St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital are honoring 113 boys and girls from Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas and Polk counties at the 15th-annual Kids are Heroes awards ceremony Monday.

One of the nominees is 12-year-old Jared Upmann, a seventh-grader at Mulrennan Middle School.

Upmann cooks a healthy dinner every night for his family, which has grown from five to 10 people in the last year.

Upmann’s aunt got sick so her five children moved into the Valrico home.

He volunteered to start cooking for the family because his single mother works full time and raises nine kids.

“Mom doesn’t get home until 8 or 8:30 and dinner is already done, cleaned up and everything by the time she gets home, l said Upmann. “So she is really less stressed than she would if she had to cook.”

Upmann’s mother, Sue Heacox, nominated him and says her son is a true hero.

“He really stepped up at a time when, he’s a kid, you know, (and he) he doesn’t have to cook,” said Heacox. “And, I do check in with him all the time. Jared I’ll cook. He says, no mom I love it.”

The 12-year-old has never had an official cooking lesson, but he uses a Rachel Ray cookbook for kids to whip up recipes.

Upmann wants to own a restaurant one day, but for now, he says the reward is seeing the faces around the family table.

“I see them before they even eat, they’re like I can’t wait to eat this and it makes me feel really good,” said Upmann.

Upmann and the other nominees will find out if they’ve won at the awards ceremony Monday.

Here is the link to the story…

Allison

19. Hello there, You have performed an incredible job. I will certainly digg it and in my view recommend to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this website.

20. Lucille says:

she makes me so nervous, I can’t watch her with her voice so broken up…………why don’t they give her a rest, its very annoying to try and listen……………..I keep coughing and clearing my throat when whe is on…………..

21. Sophie Smith says:

One of America’s sweet hearts let many people down yesterday with her political tweet :( families everywhere have been devastated (including mine) as a result of doubled/tripled premiums and outrageous deductibles not to mention dropped policies and fewer options. I don’t think she has a clue what’s really going on.