augie
Mom of Picky Eater

Picky eaters on vacation=no fun for mom

Mom of a Picky Eater has been on vacation for a week which is why you haven’t heard from me.  If you have a picky eater as I do, you know how hard a vacation can be.  Although we were just at my parents’ house, it was away enough from the familiar that it sent my son into an even deeper state of pickiness, if that’s possible.  First of all, there was just too much fun going on for him to be bothered by eating.  Secondly, he knew that at almost every turn, some family member was going to offer him a treat and if not, there would always be the nightly trip for ice cream with Grandma and Grandpa. As you can see from the photo above, Mr Hot Stuff loves his fruit pops!

However, I did see one brilliant turn of events.  It only lasted one meal but it inspired me.  My friend’s son is a year older than mine and my son worships him.  He of course, wants to do whatever this older boy does, much to the chagrin of the older boy.  However. when the older boy dug into a bagel slathered with cream cheese, my son, who would never touch the stuff, did the same.  And he now asks for a bagel with cream cheese, so I know he will repeat this performance.  It was a fascinating move from my perspective because it really proved to me that he could overcome these mental obstacles that he puts in front of himself. It’s not that he doesn’t like the way things taste or can’t deal with the texture of something, it’s that he just won’t and has no interest in expanding his palate.

Is this my cue to lie to him and tell him how much this older boy loves beets and spinach?  I don’t think so.  He’d have to witness the action for this miracle to happen again.  However, it does make sense to find other kids that he likes in the same “I want to be like you” way and let him be exposed to their eating habits (assuming those habits are good).   He certainly doesn’t care what his sister is eating!

6 Responses to “Picky eaters on vacation=no fun for mom”

1. Edith says:

OMG! when i read this post, i was completely inspired. I have 8 yr old twin boys and i have the worst time with one son who gags at almost everything. Even though he may have liked the meal before, for some reason he can’t hold it in. I thought having his tonsils and adnoids removed would improve his taste in foods. I even put them in cooking classes this summer. I got at least one thing out of it so it was worth it. Although i am at a loss for school lunch ideas. He has to have almost everything warm and refuses to eat sandwiches (pb&j, ham, bologna)NOTHING! He eats zero veggies and 2 kinds of fruits (blueberries and strawberries). We have been struggling with lunch ideas before school starts in 3 weeks!

2. Ali says:

One really good type of ice cream is fried icecream.
    Its pretty easy all you do is get some frosted flakes, eggs and any type of ice cream you want.
    Then you roll up the ice cream into a ball and dip it in egg yolk. Put it in the freezer for 20 mins, then do the process again. After you have done that you get some vegetable oil and fry it until it has turned brown! Be careful its hot! Then enjoy!

3. Tamara Bueckert says:

Wow…..My 6 year old son is right up there too…..He will not try anything new gags at what I can get him to eat…..If it was up to him(which somedays it sure seems like it) the only food in the world would be fries & chicken nuggets.

4. Debbie says:

When yo find out what they can eat, let me know! I have a 9 yr pld that gags at all veggies and only ate 3 thin slices of strawberry because his soccer cosch told him to try it! That only worked once.
    If he even sees ,let alone tastes it, he doesn’t eat.

5. Karey says:

My son is two and I have a small daycare. The other kids eat a wide variety of veggies,etc. but my son is not interested in anything. If I make him a plate like the rest of the kids he won’t even sit at the table in front of it. He just cries and goes and plays.

6. Lisa says:

My son is 12 and he wont eat any thing in the vegetable category except corn and fruit apple only if we peel the skin off and strawberries with sugar so whats the point. I am so frustrated I cook good healthy meals and he looks at them like its poision. I get so upset, to think how am I going to get him to change. I have 3 kids ages 23, 18 and my 12 year old is the only one who is like this. I get family and friends telling me to try this and try that. Nothing works. I tried mashing cauliflower in my mashed potatoes he knew. I tried mixing half turkey burger and half lean ground beef he knew. I dont know what to do.