bobbingforapples304
Emily Wyckoff

Candy Control and Alternative Halloween Treats for Trick or Treaters

The countdown is on to Halloween and I am putting together my candy strategy, both for my own kids and trick or treaters. I love candy and I love Halloween but sometimes I am overwhelmed by the amount of candy my kids bring home. Sidenote: A lifelong candy glutton, I am the adult who as a young child (age five or six) ate my entire Halloween bag full of candy that night after returning form trick or treating and you can imagine what happened next.

When it comes to my kids, I have had success with controlling candy consumption and disbursement. First of all, before they even head out on Halloween night, I make sure they have a good dinner so they aren’t wolfing down candy on an empty stomach as they race from house to house, munching on candy on the run. Next, I go through their candy with them when they get home from trick or treating, let them have a few pieces, then I take it away (after my husband and I take our favorites – shhh). I let them have 2 pieces after dinner for as long as it lasts and it’s a win win; their candy lasts and I don’t have to make dessert for a few weeks. No upset stomachs here so far, knock on wood.

As far as trick or treaters, this year I am contemplating giving out a non-candy item – do these kids really need more candy? I have noticed that in the rare instance when my kids have brought home a fun non-candy item in their trick or treat bag, they are psyched (with the exception of the toothbrushes the dentist down the street hands out) . Here are some alternatives to typical candy tricks or treats:

• stickers
  • tattoos
  • hot chocolate packets
  • balloons
  • sugarless gum
  • 25 cent coupons (Dunkin Donuts and other restaurants)
  • natural fruit snacks or leather
  • tiny toys like tops, super balls, etc. (Dollar stores and party stores have huge inexpensive bags of these)
  • pencils
  • erasers

Wish me luck – Happy Halloween!

8 Responses to “Candy Control and Alternative Halloween Treats for Trick or Treaters”

1. Cheryl Kauwell says:

One more item to add to this list of non-candy that I give away at Halloween is unfrozen ice pops. We get alot of children so this is also a very inexpensive treat.

2. Tess of St Paul says:

A former co-worker did this with Halloween candy — the kids could eat what they wanted after dinner until November 6. On November 6 they put their candy out and the “Great Pumpkin” came and took whatever candy was left and left behind some sort of toy. (Usually a $5 stuffed animal or something along that line.) The “Great Pumpkin” (ie, Dad) brought the candy into work and all of us co-workers got to eat it up.

3. Donna says:

I use the Halloween candy as a learning tool for math. add, subtract divide and graft all the different kinds of candy then witch one has more, it can go on and on i have done this with my son for lots of years he is 12 now and we still do it, he would also take his work we did on the candy to school to show the math teacher and most time receive extra credit in math for doing it.
    Enjoy the fun it
    Donna

4. Edith Riehl says:

Dear Rachael,
    Im writing to you because you recommended acaiberry, I ordered the free sample and never received them. The company charged my account $277.00 and continued to charge my account even after I cancelled due to not receiving the sample I paid shipping for. When I tried to resolve the problem they refuse to credit the money back to my account, and tell me several bottles of the product were sent that I still have never recieved yet they charged me for. Their actions have resulted in me having to cancel my credit card. I would advise you that if a company is going to act in this manner with your popularity, you should seriously reconsider backing this product.

Edith Riehl

5. LStayer says:

Trick or treating is so much fun, but the sugar rush and calorie intake is a little too much! We let our daughter pick 5 regular size (ie, snack size snickers) pieces and 5 small pieces (tootsie rolls, hard candy, etc.) then we buy the rest from her. We take her to the store and she gets to pick out something she wants. Just set a price limit that is reasonable to you. We usually do $30. It’s worth it to us! Then the candy gets taken to my husbands office or the shelter…Happy trick or treating!!!

6. Ann says:

Hi I liked all the other items to give out except one.
    Be careful giving away Baloons. There are now 50,000 people that are allergic to Latex. If my child were to get one of these in her bag she would die before we could get home. I know that in todays allergies it makes life hard on everone. I am sorry for that this is just a heads up. My child loves Halloween it is the only time she gets in our neighborhood. I just try to keep her safe.

7. LK says:

Disappointed to see hot chocolate packets… maybe organic ones are ok. Definitely a creative idea, along with all the others. However, they are loaded with not only high levels of sugar, but worse than a lollipop in that they are usually loaded with partially hydrogenated oils which are so incredibly horrible for us all.

8. candy lafountain says:

Rachael, the thing my family and I love to do at Halloween, is to make poppers. We take the empty toilet paper cardboard and wrap it with tissue paper. We stuff them with candy and wrap each end (like a tootsie roll) with curling ribbon.