Emily Wyckoff

Easter Lamb Cake

Easter is this weekend so I thought I would post a really cute recipe for an Easter lamb cake. It is a stand up cake baked in a cake pan shaped like a lamb and decorated with frosting, coconut and raisins. A friend of mine shared it with me; she comes from a family of eight and her mother would make it with the kids every year at Easter time - my friend’s mom now makes it with her grand-daughters. It is moms like that who put moms like me to shame – mother of eight, made everything from scratch, carries on family traditions. I have three kids and basically make Easter brownies – our tradition is looking for the special Easter cake at the supermarket.

Anyway, the mold she uses can be found at many supermarkets and specialty food stores this time of year – you can also find it at http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/holiday/easter/easterpans.htm.

Here is the recipe my friend’s mom has been making for years – I have also included directions for using a cake mix. Please post any family Easter recipes you may have – you could inspire moms like me:-):

Lamb Cake

1 3/4 cups flour

1 1/4 cups sugar

2 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1/3 c. butter, room temp

2/3 c. milk

1/4 c. sour cream

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla

shredded coconut, food coloring, raisins or chocolate chips, jelly beans

Vanilla frosting:

In top part of a double boiler, combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/2 c. water, 2 egg whites, 1 tbs. light corn syrup and 1/2 tsp. salt. Beat with handheld mixer on high for 1 minute. Place over rapidly beating water, and beat with mixer until medium firm peaks are formed. Remove from double boiler and stir in 2 tsp. vanilla.

Cream butter in a large bowl, add dry ingredients (flour through salt); beat 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Add sour cream, milk, egg and vanilla, beat 2 more minutes. Turn batter into bottom (face) of well greased and floured mold. Insert wooden toothpicks lengthwise into ears and neck for support. Grease and lightly flour top half of mold and gently place on top of batter. Make sure mold locks; tie with a string to make sure mold doesn’t separate as cake rises while it bakes. Bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 350 degree oven for 55 minutes or until a toothpick placed in steam vent comes out clean. Cool cake in mold for 15 minutes, then carefully remove the top half of mold and let cool in the bottom mold for 5 more minutes. Remove from mold and let cake cool on is side on a rack until completely cool – do not stand up until then.

To decorate:

Stand cake upright and frost with vanilla frosting. Sprinkle with coconut and use raisins or chocolate chips for eyes. Cover a platter or serving tray completely with frosting and carefully stand cake on platter or tray. Color coconut green and sprinkle around cake – use jelly beans for garnish.

To make the lamb cake from a mix:

Use a white cake mix and add 2 egg yolks and 1/2 cup milk. Blend and then beat with a mixer for 2 minutes. Add 2/3 cup of milk and beat for a minute longer. Follow directions above for filling mold. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 35 minutes and follow instructions above for cooling and decorating.

12 Responses to “Easter Lamb Cake”

1. fiumomma4 says:

As plan B mom, I too have grown up with the Easter Lamb cake. However, unlike plan B mom, my mom went the easier route and used boxed pound cake mix, and canned frosting and but did decorate it the same. This tradition has carried on,kids are now in their 20′s and still whine for the famous Lamb cake every Easter!!

2. Jaleyn says:

When I was a child my Grandmother made a lamb and a bunny every year at Easter time. They were pound cake, wonderful and moist. She decorated them and they were the centerpiece at dinner time. If we could not go home to our grandparents for Easter they would send them to us. My Poppa (as we called him0 made popcorn and packed the cakes carefully in the popcorn. There were always small toys too, and jelly beans. My Grandparents are in heaven and I still really miss them. In October I became a grandma for the first time. I intend to carry on the tradition with my Levi….

3. Sandra A. Rice says:

My grandmother religiously made a lamb cake every year each family had their own she used the Dromedary pound cake mix,and would then decorate it.I married into a family who orders a lamb cake every year from a bakery,and each family member has a different frosting color depending on their favorite color.This year I was told to order the traditional lamb cake,upon finding out that they didn’t make a rainbow lamb cake they proceeded to tell me to cancel the order.

4. Plan B Mom-I didn’t have the cake mold but I made this in a round cake pan and frosted it with a cream cheese frosting and it was delicious!!

5. Seamist says:

I made 4 of these each Easter for family & relatives with a chocolate box of Dunkin Hines mix & when baking I put a heavy pan or red brick on top so it would not swell open. Oh what memories we all have & I lent the mold out {never came back}& now I see where we can find them again! Thanks for the memories & I will get a mold now…. I used the recipe I used in a bakery- as a teen-for the frosting and used a decorating tip to swirl the “lambs wool” look on the cake-fun times-
    and my kids learned the art of decorating it too. Yes one time his neck got wobbly & a straw inserted in it to hold it up worked fine-yes that one was at my home. Good old jelly beans for eyes & nose etc-have fun gals-it is worth it & the kids love it!

6. Cindy says:

My grandma always made a lamb cake but her receipe had confectioners sugar. It was the best. My mom made them and I made them for my son and now grandson with my grandma’s receipe. What a great tradition.

7. Myla says:

Every year on my Birthday (May 19) an adopted grandma made me a lamb cake. I could never eat it because it was so cute, so it sat around until it became like concrete. It was so special to me. Thanks for bringing back such great memories and Thanks, Grandma Emma, for everything.

8. Leslie says:

My grandmother started the tradition making the lamb cake for me when I was little. I am still making the lamb cake every year for my family as well. It is the centerpiece for our table on Easter. Over the years my children have enjoyed helping to make and decorate the cake. Simple and easy and oh so much fun.

9. Donna says:

I have made a lamb cake for 50 years. My mom used to make it for me and my sister too. So it’s been in the family for Years. Our family likes ours made with buttercream frosting. I use decorating tubes to apply the frosting. I have tried to make other desserts for Easter but my children and grandchildern, no matter what age, give me that pout so I always go back to the the old stand by. It is a great tradition.

10. Arianna says:

you have the yumiest food.i was wondering if you can get justin bieber on the show and say hi to me.i am 9 years old.me and my friends are in love with him.by arianna silva

11. Angie Bush says:

The Easter lamb cake is one of my favorite traditions.
    Since my birthday and my dads birthday is in April, and Easter usually falls in between, this lamb cake was also our birthday cake. As fate would have it both my grandchildren were born in April too! Keeping this tradition alive, how beautiful.