Emily Wyckoff

Famous Chocolate Wafer Cake

You know how some foods conjure up childhood memories? My aunt’s fried chicken, my mom’s garlic bread (my grandmother’s recipe) and this Famous Chocolate Wafer cake pretty much do it for me. I used to request this delightful confection for my birthday (alternating with Pepperidge Farm chocolate layer cake with chocolate frosting that was in the freezer section at the grocery store – yum. Not sure if they make it any more and in any event if I tried it as an adult it probably couldn’t compete with my memories).

I made the Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafer Ice Box Cake as it is technically known the other night for our cousins who came to dinner and they had never had this “cake” (which in case you’ve never had it, is just Nabisco Famous Chocolate Cookies layered with whipped cream, yet when chilled and sliced correctly (on an angle), the cookies absorb the whipped cream and soften (but not too much)).

I had forgotten about this cake but came back to it a few years ago and now it’s a great go-to cake for entertaining – I made three “logs” for a nice dinner party I had for 22 people a few years back and it looks impressive but can’t get any easier. No oven required. Plus, great fun to make with the kids. Here is the recipe (straight from the box):

CHOCOLATE WAFER WHIPPED CREAM ICE BOX CAKE

2 Cups heavy cream
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract

One 9-ounce package Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers

Chocolate curls or chocolate sprinkles

Whip cream, add sugar and vanilla and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Spread one-half tablespoon whipped cream or topping on each wafer. Begin stacking wafers together on end (on a long serving platter) and stand on edge on the platter to make a 14-inch log.

Frost with remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate for four to six hours. Garnish with chocolate curls or chocolate sprinkles and slice at a 45-degree angle so each serving shows the chocolate and white layers.

You may freeze this cake, covered with plastic wrap; thaw in refrigerator for one hour before serving.

13 Responses to “Famous Chocolate Wafer Cake”

1. I had forgotten all about this cake and now really have to make it, with warm weather approaching it will be such a hit and no oven, it’s been years since I’ve had it but now glad to have this recipe back. Thanks again for this nice reminder!!!

2. carole says:

oh i love this recipe!!! my grandma used to make it all the time for us. talk about bringing back memories – thanks for the wonderful reminder!!

3. Theresa says:

Wow, I remember teaching/sharing this recipe years ago with a Girl Scout Troop. Was really pretty tasty. Kids loved making it all by themselves! And it makes a nice presentation…looks a lot more labor/skill intensive than it was. Think I’ll have to teach my Grandsons how to do it on their next visit. They love to “cook”!

4. Bobbi says:

My sister and I were just talking about this cake the other night. It was one of our favorite desserts growing up and yet neither one of us has ever made it for our families. Our mom didn’t make it as one long log. Instead she made short logs and laid them side by side then “iced the whole thing. While I was never allowed more than a reasonable serving as a child, I am quite sure I could eat the whole thing myself as an adult.

5. Donna says:

I’ve never had this, but loving chocolate the way I do and sweets in general I will be giving this a try!

Does anyone remember the old Whip and Chill cheese cake recipe?

6. Debra says:

My grandma used to make this when I was a little girl. She called it Icebox Cake. I still make it today, many, many years later. My family and friends love it just as much as homemade baked cakes.

7. I going to try this for my Granchildren it look so good and also easy.

8. tammy says:

rachaely i love the show but you use some things in it and i really dont even know what it is and not sure were to look for it in the store please help me out were i can cook some of you foods for my family

9. Susan says:

This is a favorite in my house. My Mother in law has made it for years, however, she drizzles rum over the cookies before topping it off with the cream. Not too much but just enough to give it a taste, delicious! We call it the Rum Roll. We make it without the rum for the kids, of course!

10. Jeanne Snow says:

In my family this has always been called “Zebra Cake” because of the stripes. It has been a favorite as a birthday cake and a just for fun cake.

Jeanne

11. Athena says:

Me and my grandmother always used to make this cake when I was younger, funny how i was just talking about it the other day!

12. Julie says:

My family still has this every year at Christmas, we call it “Cookie Roll” and top it with crushed peppermints. I/we look forward to this dessert all year and we only have once a year because we all agree that we each could sit and eat the entire pan (we usually make two or three rolls). Thanks for sharing :)

13. Sherry says:

we used to make cookies like this. you just make them three layers high and put a dollop on top. my grandma called them refrigerator cookies. also, if you make the cookies or the log with chocolate mousse instead of just whipped cream, it is even better!