istock_000003303235xsmall

Rachael’s b-day is today!

Happy Birthday, Rachael!
Every year I have to make one of Rachael’s favorite treats, Katharine Hepburn’s Brownies, for her birthday. They are impossibly chocolatey, fudgey, nutty, chewy, and tasty. Ellyn, an old friend and real foodie gave my this recipe when I got married almost thirty years ago. The story goes that it is actually Katharine Hepburn’s family recipe that was printed in a newspaper in Connecticut at some time in the thirties and has been passed on though bridal showers ever since! The only thing I can say is that people do LOVE them. Even I, who don’t have a sweet tooth at all, munch a couple of these.  I always have to make a double batch. And they couldn’t be easier to make. I will put the recipe right here below. and it’s also on my DishandDine website if you ever lose it.
Happy Birthday, dearest Rachael, and enjoy your brownies today!

Katharine Hepburn’s Brownies

Ingredients:

• 2 squares unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 stick butter
  • ¼ cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla

Instructions:

Melt chocolate and butter together in a saucepan. Stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla; and beat mixture well. Then stir in flour, salt and walnuts. Pour into a buttered and floured 8 inch square pan and bake in preheated oven at 325° for 40 minutes.

This recipe and many other family favorites are available on DishandDine.com. Stop by and become part of this grass roots global food community!

DishandDine – It’s All About Food

http://www.facebook.com/DishandDine http://www.twitter.com/DishandDine

Cheryl Carlesimo is one of ten children, wife, mother of twins, author, independent filmmaker and television producer with her company, Stone House Productions. Food-related programs include Rachael Ray: Chefography and a number of prime time specials with Rachael Ray, Cooking Thin, 115 episodes of Food 911 with Tyler Florence, and Ham on the Street with George Duran for Food Network. Cheryl is also the founder of  DishandDine.com, a grassroots online food community with the look and feel of a real world marketplace – YouTube meets Facebook for Food  — where food lovers everywhere can highlight their niche food interests and share treasured family recipes and memories.

22 Responses to “Rachael’s b-day is today!”

1. Val says:

My birthday is today too! So I just wanted to say Happy Birthday Rachael! And those brownies look so good…one of my favorite treats!

2. Teri Morse says:

HAPPY HAPPY B-DAY RACHEL !!!

3. ilovebradpaisleyandrachaelray says:

happy birthday rachael!you are amazing at what you do!i hope you have a fantastic bday!:)

4. natinna says:

Wow! These brownies seem mouth-watering the way they are currentley described above, I’m impressed! Happy belated girl!

5. Lisa Lynn Brooks says:

Happy Birthday girl! Your beautiful and you rock!

6. Debby Sprague says:

Happy Belated Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!! It was mine too. I’m sure I’m older than you. ope you had a great one!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Debby

7. Nora says:

Hi Rach. Happy Belated Birthday, it was my daughter’s birthday also.

8. Gina says:

Happy belated birthday Rachael hope it was a great one. Your in good company all 3 of my grown kids birthdays are in August.

9. ELIZABETH HERMAN says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACHAEL !!!!!!! We love you, love
    all your shows, love your recipes and food. Have
    many many more wonderful BIRTHDAYS….

10. Lori says:

Happy Birthday Rach. I love your TV show! Iwatch it every day.

11. Kate Nowell says:

Is a 1/4 cup of flour correct? That doesn’t seem like enough.

12. Bobbi L says:

Happy Belated Birthday, Rachael~ i love you and i love your show. i’d love to be able to cook like you. i’m going to try these brownies for my grandsons and me (hehe)Hope you had a wonderful day !!

13. Belated “HAPPY BIRTHDAY” RACHAEL. YOUR THE BEST, AT WHAT YOU DO, DEAR GIRL. KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB! JUST LOVE YOUR SHOW. LOT’S LOVE & BEST WISHES FOR THE COMING YEAR.

14. Benora Richardson says:

Happy Birthday! Birthdays are our day to celebrate us, be good to yourself! You have given so much to everyone in your viewing audience by sharing with us the beautiful you. Thanks! Benora

15. Rachael says:

I share your birthday too, and ironically I am Rachael Rae, I hope it was a great one for you. Enjoy your magazine and all the tips that you send.

16. Janet says:

Happy Birthday and many more!!!!!!!!!!! I hope your day was wonderful.Love your magazine,show,website and recipes.

17. Peggy says:

Happy Birthay Rachael. Hope you had a good one. Love your show. Keep up the good work.

18. Linda says:

Happy Birthday Rachel. Hope you’re able to do everything you want today. You are a FUN cook; I love to watch you on T.V.

19. Olivia says:

Happy Birthday Rachael. Hope you had a great one with your loved ones.

20. Barb says:

Happy Birthday Rachael. Always enjoy your show and have made many of your dishes. Am looking forward to making the brownies, like them.

21. Shawn says:

Hi Rachael,
    Had to wish you a “Happy Belated Birthday” . I am behind on my emails and just saw it was your Birthday last month! Sorry to be so late , but I was always told better late then never. LOL Hope you had a wonderful Birthday! Hoping all your fondest wishes and dreams all come true my friend.

Love,

Shawn

22. Ann says:

Dear Rachael!

I just want to let you know that you also have fans in Norway. I am a senior citizen who grew up in the States. I love your show. I tape it daily and view it in the evening. You are so full of energi and it makes me happy to see your show. You have also given me a lot of good info about cooking.

Your chicken, pasta and burger recepies are great, but I have never seen you prepare a fish dinner. Fisk is good and healthy and there are many recepes and fisk to choose from. This is just an idea to even better a great show.

The drawback it that here in Norway we are months behind USA viewing. Yesterday I viewed St. Patricks day show. Again – I love your show.

Love Ann