Pet Lovers

Glucosamine Chondroitin puts some spring in my geriatric dog’s step

My dear sweet yellow lab is old. He is twelve and he is showing his age of late. His face gets whiter by the day, a small fatty lump that has been declared benign by the vet has gone from golf ball-size to grapefruit- size in a matter of months, and despite an ACL surgery on his rear right knee a few years back, when he stands up, it’s a good minute or so before his rear legs catch up to his front legs.

I was feeling sad and thought we were nearing the end of the road – he seemed pretty uncomfortable and I was forced to make his walks shorter and shorter (this was a dog who needed to be run 5 miles a day, now he could barely make a block), until my husband took him to his annual vet visit. Bracing myself for bad news, the report was just the opposite. Healthy for a twelve year old lab, we needed to cut the amount of food he was eating in half (he had been eating two cups in the morning and two at night for twelve years. Funny we didn’t think to adjust the amount based on his decreased activity level. The lump was growing because according to the vet, it is a fatty deposit). The vet also prescribed glucosamine chondroitin supplements for his joints.

I was training for a marathon ten years ago and seriously injured my knee due to overtraining. I went to a sports medicine doctor who was a naturopath and he prescribed glucosamine chondroitin supplements for me. He said the glucosamine would naturally help my knee to generate new cartilage and the chondroitin would reduce the levels of destructive enzymes that break down the cartilage. It worked for me. I finished the marathon. These supplements have been used to treat osteoarthritis for years.

We have been giving these supplements to our dog for a few weeks and eureka, there is a spring in his step, his rear legs are catching up with his front, and he is game for playing with my friend’s puppy rather than grumpily snapping at him and lying down for a nap. You can order them online at amazon.com, find them at your local pet store, or from your vet (who you should consult of course). We are thrilled to see some life in our old boy and happy to see that glint back in his eye.

19 Responses to “Glucosamine Chondroitin puts some spring in my geriatric dog’s step”

1. Polly says:

Rachael, I have a Chi. who is over weight,she weighs 14.5 lbs.. I have tried everything!! she is healthy and is somewhat active. The Vet put her on Blue Buffalo weight loss formula and she want eat it. Will your food help her to lose weight? I am very worried about her. Can you help me?
    Thanks, and have a blessed week,
    polly , in SC

2. Dolly NYC says:

while throwing a ball to my 54 lb foxhound mix she jumped & went backwards, resulting in a limp. the vet suggested surgery but my cousin told me about the glucosomine pills. the pills worked and she has been taking them ever since. Re the food: she weighs 54 lbs, eats 1 cup dry with 1/3 of a can split into 2 meals for the entire day.

3. Tina says:

I to have a golden that will be 12 this Saturday and she also has the fatty tumor that seemed to have grown overnight. She was diagnosed with hip dysplasia on one side when she was young. She to used to run like a deer! These days it’s two twenty minute walks twice a day. She had a great bill of health last month much to my surprise. She still perks right up when it time to walk. I often think I would give anything to see her run again.
    I am excited about trying these Glucosamine though and see how she does. I just ordered them from amazon. Thanks so much for the info!

4. ANNE says:

Hi Racheal…I bought your name brand dog food and she loves it, but heres the thing so dose both my cats…is it safe for them to enjoy it as well…please let me know..thanks so much.Anne

5. Connie says:

I volunteer with a small non-profit animal rescue group working with many of the larger breeds. I had spoken to many different vets concerning the joint supplements to help with a variety of issues such as age, injury or just hard play, I have found the liquid form works best (it is absorbed best in the dog’s system) and I highly recommend “flexicose” liquid pet jointcare. This is for dogs, cats and horses. There is a human formula as well. I donate bottles to local shelters and recommend to all those with dogs over 50lbs especially if older. As I order a case of this Flexicose every other month and we give it to about 12-15 various dogs we have in our foster care. My own personal rescued dogs have been on it since they were young (going on about 6 years now) as they play very rough and are 60+lbs. Another rescuer told me it was a “miracle” he has several older dogs that he has given sanctuary to and one in particular was having extreme difficulty walking around with 10 days the dog was playing and a “different dog”. There are many brands out there – I found this brand to be the best quality and easier on your pocket book – especially if you order in bulk as I do!

6. cyndiann says:

Polly, the best way to get weight off a dog is to stop feeding grains. They cause a lot of problems in dogs. Blue Buffalo is a great brand and (sorry Rach) grain free but if your dog won’t eat it try something different. Think low carb. Strongly consider trying a species appropriate diet of real meat, bones and organ meats. Raw is best of all, it’s naturally what a dog would eat.

Grains cause weight gain, kidney problems, allergies, yeast infections and lots more. Rach’s food may have meat as the first ingredient but many of the next ingredients are grains of some kind.

I know from being diabetic myself that grains cause problems in people too. Even animals that eat primarily vegetarian don’t do well with a high grain diet. Consider that dogs are carnivores and as such won’t do well on most kibbles because of the carbs (grains). Make the switch to a food correct for what you are feeding and the weight will come off.

7. vickie says:

I love both cats and dogs …She never mentions helping cats when she talks about giving…the shelters are full of cats that need help,too.

8. deb klunk says:

last summer you gave some lady money to start building her shelter. wanted to know if she got it started & how she is doing &allher furry friends. thx. deb

9. debbie says:

i have a black lab she will only eat canned dog food
    the only way that i can get her to eat dry is to mixes it in her canned food which of the one is better for her to eat

10. cheryl says:

I’ve really learned alot from these messages. I have a chow/german police mix, she’s around about 9-10 yrs old. She’s put on a lot of weight and slowly gets up from sitting or lying down. At times it looks as if she hurts to walk. My 2 yr old cavalier king charles wants to play with her but she doesn’t feel like playing much. I’m going to try the supplements spoken of. I’ve already cut the amount of food she eats along with the younger one’s food for he’s gotten a touch over weight. I think a lot of the weight gain is from the “milk bones” they get when they come in from outside breaks.

11. Jill says:

Hello, We have a 15 1/2 yr old Pittbull, Boue, and he has problems with his hips for about a year now, it takes him a few minutes to get going when he’s been laying down for awhile, but we give him Glusoamine Chondroitin. We asked our Vets office and they said we can give him the human formula, because it was just as good as the pet formula. I purchased some for my husband, who took them for a week and then gave up on them, but we started giving them to Boue and it does help him alot. We can tell a difference in him.

12. casper says:

I have a 11 year old german sable sherpard, he is the
    light of our lives, I have being giving him glucosamine
    for many years, and have had to increase the amt. given
    due to his increase in age, and ability. He weight has
    remained the same over the years from 118pds to 108.
    Have tried to decrease his weight due to his more difficulty, in walking, he used to walk at least 1 mile
    daily and no he only walks about 1 block however, 4 short walks daily. He manages to keep going for however
    long we have him. casper

13. Kathy says:

My 10 year old yorkie has had two acl tears at different times, the vet wanted to operate but I wanted to try glucosmine first, she has already been through breast cancer surgery. It worked so once again fast as lightening. Now my husband and I take it also. For some reason the liquid form seems better for us

14. Elgar says:

We have 2 small breed dogs, Yorkie and Silkie, and the vet said not to use glucosamine and chondrotin. They are prone to stomach issues, and this can cause more issues. Always ask a Vet!!!

15. Peggy Taggert says:

My Chocolate lab has had 2 TPLO surgeries and since then he has been on glucosamine. it does so much for him. It is incredible.

16. Annie says:

Hi, I got the sample I asked for yesturday.. My 12 year old Cocker, went nuts over it. She is so picky that i had been cooking chicken breasts for her. I can’t wait to get her start on NUTRISH… Bella is a senior rescue, she is now such a huge part of my life.

17. Trooper K says:

My 12 year old lab/beagle mix had terrible pain in his neck, 12 days of meds were prescribed to help with the pain and then onto the glucosomine, it’s a wonder drug…. I wish they could live forever!!!
    Hugs and Kisses to my Trooper who I’ve had since he was 8 weeks old that I got from the Scotia Animal Protective Foundation, the best dog I ever owned…

18. Judy Michalski says:

Rachael, do you make dog food for Sr. Dogs? I have been paying $75/month for Orijen (I think that is what I read). I simply can’t afford that. Please, be honest with me and tell me how close you’re food come to their food. I would love to switch over to your brand of dog food.. My Sara is developing fatty tumors. Seems that her body is sending steroids to kill the tumor. This will affect the hurt other organs (I can not remember which ones-after 3 years of chemo, my brain does not work the same anymore. The vet wants almost $100 for one months supply of a med to counteract that, can’t afford it. Can you please help me? Vet. won’t.

19. Debbie Morris says:

Hi Rachel,
    Thanks everyone for the tip about the glucosamine and condrotin, I have 2 wonderful Pomeranians. They are both seniors and they really need it. They are our hearts. My problem is that they are both overweight and hate beef and lamb. Chicken, turkey, fish, and chicken livers. But usually chicken. I have to cook it for them. I can tell we won’t have them much longer if we don’t do something. My other problem is that they have bad teeth and have had some pulled. They need a dogfood that is small, soft and no beef or lamb. HELP ME, I’M GOING CRAZY.