The Cleaning Lady

Holiday spill clean up guide

The holidays are officially here and with family and friends gathering for celebratory food and drink comes the inevitable spills. Don’t panic – here are some tips on how to treat some common holiday spills – the key is to act fast before the stain sets!

Coffee: Soak up excess coffee with a clean white towel. Make a solution of half water and half vinegar, soak a clean white towel, wring and gently blot – don’t rub - spot with the towel. Blot from the outside of the stain and work in toward the center. No need to rinse – just let dry.

Red wine: Pour white wine or club soda on the red wine spill and blot with a thick towel. Then treat with your favorite carpet or clothing cleaning product.

Gravy or chocolate: Spoon or scrape up excess gravy or chocolate, use a clean towel and treat with 1 tsp colorless liquid detergent with 1 cup lukewarm water and rinse with clean water.

Candle wax: Wait until the wax cools and peel off or rub with ice to harden and pick off.

24 Responses to “Holiday spill clean up guide”

1. Joanne says:

With such a busy, yet festive, holiday centered around food, spills are a given! It’s nice to have this resource, thanks for the tips to ease clean-up.

2. danyele4 says:

These are very good suggestions.
    I have tried a couple of them and they really work.
    Does anyone know how to safetly remove the stain from cranberry sauce out of carpet? Is there any product out there that is effective enough to get this stain out?

3. john says:

I hope your procedure goes perfectly. Have a super Christmas!

4. bettyann says:

I just wanted to say good luck with your surgery. You not being able to talk will take alot of work because I know how you like to talk. Just remember take your time and get better and we will all be here to HEAR from you again. Lots of love and luck to you Rach. We all love you and can wait.

5. Anna says:

Thanks for the tips! I need all that I can get :)

6. Maura says:

Re: your throat surgery, I am a Speech-Language Pathologist and it may benefit you to see one for voice therapy. The “cyst” you mentioned may possibly be a vocal nodule caused by vocal abuse. I notice that you may exhibit a “hard glottal attack” while you speak, which would cause trauma to the vocal cords. Also, speaking on residual air and not using enough breath support for your voice can also cause vocal cord injury. If this is the cause, you may continue to have problems after the procedure unless you receive voice therapy from a certified Speech Pathologist to give you compensatory techniques. Hope this helps! Good luck!

7. BillThrasher says:

You are very ambitious person&we hope your operation is a sucsess,our group love you& wish you the best.

8. Sherry Shaw says:

Dear Rachael, I love your show’s and I think your incrediable. I read about your surgery. I am very sorry. MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS WILL BE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. I AM SORRY YOU WILL BE DOWN FOR THE HOLIDAYS!!!! YOU TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND GET PLENTY OF REST, AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT, YOU’LL BE BACK TO PUTTING OUT THOSE WONDERFULLY DELICIOUS 30MIN MEALS. AND CHATTING UP A STORM. I REALLY LOVE YOUR SPUNKYNESS AND THE WAY YOU JUST BRING YOUR AUDIENCE TO LIFE, AND JUST DRAW THOSE OF US AT HOME IN LIKE WE ARE REALLY THERE. RACHAEL YOUR THE BOMB. I LOVE YA. GET WELL SOON!!!!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM OUR HOME TO YOURS. LOVE, SHERRY SHAW

P.S. PLEASE OVER LOOK SOME OF THE SPELLING

9. kathy davis says:

DEAR RACHAEL,
    I LOVE WATCHING YOUR SHOW WHEN I SEEN YOUR BIG GIVEAWAY I CREID,YOU HAVE SUCH A HUGH HEART FOR PEOPLE,I HOPE AND PRAY I WIN YOUR BIG KETTLLE YOU DESIGNED LOOKS WONDERFUL.GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SURJURY,HAPPY HOLIDAYS,GOD BLESS EVERYONE.

10. Dear Rachel,

This is wonderful advice. In fact, your comments are so well done that I’d like to see you introduce a line of cleaning products that are specifically deigned for the pet industry. Thank you again for all of the wonderful, reputable work that you are doing.

Best regards,
    John David Kendrick

11. Best wishes for a sucessful surgery and fast recovery. Looking forward to hearing you in the new year.

12. Tatum says:

Hi Ms. Rachael. My name is Theresa Tatum. I come from the Philippines. I really enjoy watching your show in Food Network. I love your style, your wits and your cooking! Although I miss your 30-minute meal show, but I am more than happy to watch RR because it has more features, gives insights even in simple things about life.

This morning I get to watch your Yum-o! Celebration and it really made my day. I can see how happy you were and Im glad you get to help other people and touched their lives tremendously.

How I wish I get to see you in person and watch your show but its far, far impossible. I just wish you all the best, and may God keep you in good health always.

Your No. 1 Fan in the Philippines,

tatum

13. Marie MacLeod says:

All the best Rachel. Just thought I’d send along another tip for removing candle wax from carpet. Place a brown paper bag over the wax and press with a hot iron. The wax will melt and be absorbed by the brown paper. Do not let the hot iron touch the carpet.

I hope this is useful.

Merry Christmas to you and your husband and all your crew.

14. marie bentubo says:

Thank for your ideas. I have been watching since you have doing forty dollars a day and 30 minute meals.

thank you….
    Marie

15. Margaret says:

Hi Rachael, I love your show. I tape it everyday so I can watch it later at night. I also wanted to wish you a fast & successful surgery. Is your show going to be a repeat while you recouperate?
    Also, does anyone have an idea how to remove dried glue on carpet? No carpet cleaning company has been able get it out.
    Merry Christmas to you and your husband and all your wonderful & creative crew.

Margaret.

16. Renate van der Zande says:

To Rachel,
    We live in British Columbia Canada since 1,5 years now. We’re from The Netherlands, Europe. They don’t air you there so I just got to ‘know’ you. I love your show and your recipes. My husband gave me 2 of your cookbooks for my birthday. This Christmas family are coming and they want the traditional turkey. I’ve never cooked them in my life! So I’ve watched all your Thanksgiving shows and read your holiday magazine. I’d like to thank you for making me confidence, I am ready, turkey here I come!

Dear Rachel al the best on your surgery and come back soon.
    ‘Prettig Kerstfeest’ to you, your husband and your mum and all your loved ones.
    Renate van der Zande

17. Tasha Dueck says:

Dear Rach I am from Main Centre Saskatchewan Canada. I just wonted to say that I love your show and I hope your surgery goes well, I will be praying for you. I just have one gueastion and that is because of linen and things going out of business i was wondering were can I get your producs from or can you ship to Canada now.

18. Men that cook says:

Rachel,

I want to share a kitchen gadget with you!! I know you’ve heard this before but I’m a man that LOVES to cook. The gadget is called a pedal valve – it’s a foot pedal that controls your sink so when you are cleaning chicken and other meats you don’t have to contaminate your facet controls. There is a website for pedal valves http://www.pedalvalve.com. I have installed one for many friends and cooking buddies and they love it too.

Cookin’ and lovin’ it,
    Bryon

19. Morgan says:

an easier way to get wax off is to put a paper bag over the wax and use an iron, the wax will adhere to the bag.

20. Shellie says:

Another product that will get cranberry sauce from carpet is Folex. It also gets red wine out. I know, I’ve used it when I spilled on my off white carpet. Spray folex on carpet, let stand a minute and press with white towel. Then put hot water and keep repeating. I sometimes use my foot for pressure to get stain out. It might take 15 minutes to get clean, but at least red stain is out!

21. CJ says:

If you have carpet stains you can use a men’s WHITE shaving cream… like a Barbasol or Gillette. Use a small amount and rub it into the stain. Wait for a minute then get a damp towel and spot the stain up onto the towel. Using fresh spots on the towel you should be able to remove all of the stain. It may take two times depending upon the severity of the stain and the length of the time the stain had set.
    It removed “OLD English” Scratch Cover Walnut color from my biege carpet that had splattered. I had tried everything to get it up and finally given up until I heard about this time.. It works!! Try it it’ll make a believer out of you too!!

22. lily agius says:

Hi rachael!
    I watch your show every day .i love all your recipes !But most of all ,i like the way you dress .you had a lovely red dress ,last show i seen ,i have to tell you you looked gorgeous ,
    lily

23. Pamela Wisniewski says:

Hi Rachael,
    I just had to tell you that on Thanksgiving I made your “No Fail Gravy” and it was FABULOUS!!! Even my 17 & 18 year old nephews told me how much they liked it! My gravy has never been that great, but with this recipe I became the best gravy maker ever! Thank you so much for putting it on your website and making my (I mean your gravy!) the hit of Thanksgiving dinner!
    Good luck on your surgery and keep up the great work on your show.

24. Lola of KC says:

Hi Rachael,

I have been watching your tv show whenever i am off from work, i have tried some of your recipes and my family loved it.

I want to share one cleaning tip and it really work good , ground some aspirin (almost powder) and mix with a little amount of water, use an old tootbrush and work in any kind of spots in your carpet. Goodluck!