dsc_0277
The Cleaning Lady

Protecting your home from your holiday party

I love having holiday parties at our house , but I am left with some momentos I would rather not have. A red wine stain on our decorative upholstered chair. An antique chair that is meant for decoration was sat in – and left with a crack. A soot stain from a bathroom candle left burning too close to the wall (we got lucky there). I have lived and learned when it comes to preparing our house for a holiday get together. Here are some things we now do to protect our house from a holiday party:

• Welcome mats. Place a mat both outside your door and inside the door so guests have plenty of opportunity to wipe off their shoes – especially important when it’s snowy.
  • Clear it out. We always move the furniture against the walls, and take anything valuable or any extra chairs, plants or lamps upstairs and out of the way. We like people to be standing around mingling at a cocktail party, not sitting, so this is a good way to encourage it and save furniture from being spilled on or knocked over. Take a look at the traffic pattern of the party while you are setting up and make sure it’s clear for people to move around, and there isn’t any furniture, electric cords, or plants that could serve as obstacles.
  • Remove all valuable knick knacks. We have a lot of little crystal and porcelain knick knacks displayed around our living room that get boxed up and out for the party. If you have something you don’t want broken, save yourself the worry and remove it for the party.
  • Table cloths are your friend. Whether you use paper or cloth tablecloths, this saves your tables from spills and glass rings. To keep the look classic and festive, use the same color table cloths throughout. Inexpensive red paper tablecloths from the grocery store look great.
  • Forget the flames. Candles provide wonderful ambiance, but are messy and potentially dangerous. Spilled wax or knocked over lit candles are just two possibilities. There are some great battery operated candles out there that come in all sizes and shapes – votives, tapers, etc. These are reasonably priced and provide the same effect as the real thing.
  • Clean throughout the party. Do a quick walk-through periodically and pick up empty glasses, plates, napkins etc. to save on clean up later and clutter now. Place a few waste paper baskets throughout the party so guests don’t leave trash sitting about.,
  • Have fun! With prep work ahead of time, you can make sure you enjoy yourself and your house comes through intact.

7 Responses to “Protecting your home from your holiday party”

1. cecilia says:

hi Rachael Ray my name is cecilia I am very happy for your program so cool.:) , I am studying gastronomy in MORELIA MICH MEXICO. I want you to know that .I’m your number 1 fan , and that i studied this carrier thanks to you.Thanks for your recipes and tips. :)

2. raffa says:

hello rachael

my name ist paphaela i`m from belgium
    my english is not good
    im a big fan of you show
    i love your meal recipes
    you cook book is amazing i love it
    but i have a question
    i want to buy things from your shop
    but i dont now waht i must do for this

thanks rachael for your great show
    best wishes from belgium

3. Mary says:

Hey there Rachael,
    I have a dilemma and perhaps with your resources you can help me and my several friends who complain of the same issue.
    GARLIC….LOVE IT! but it hates me. (Gastrointestinal issues big time.)What is a good substitute? Usually I just omit it from a recipe, but in some recipes it is sorely missed.
    We are “foodies” who have traveled the world, and we collect recipes wherever we go, and garlic is a constant flavor. Please help me with some suggestions if you can,
    thank you.
    Mary

4. Andrea says:

Hey Rachael,

My friend Daniel and I are testing out New York’s best cookies! Check out our blogs.

Thanks,
    Andrea

5. Madison Shepherd says:

December,18,2010

Dear Rachel Ray,

I have became very interested in cooking. This winter, school has been out a lot, so I watch your show in the morning! I love watching your show! I think you have a very great and interesting show! I like to watch you cook and talk to your food! You are so funny and awesome! So I was wondering where you learned to be such a great cook and how I could do that! And one quick question do you make your own recipes or use a cookbook?

Your Friend,
    Madison Shepherd
    10 years old

6. holly says:

hi rachael ……..about april of 09 you had miley cyrus about hannah montana and disney have her show cancel now im not happy about it and now miley be not her safe back than that been her now i dont no and im try so had about her show.bigger fan to your show and hve miley cyrus on to 09

7. mike says:

Does she still do 30 min meals or all of them repeats since she has her daytime show?Can some one answer this?Thank You