The Cleaning Lady

Quick jewelry cleaning tip

Winter is in full swing which means your hands – and jewelry – can take a beating with more frequent hand washing and lotion applications to ward off dry skin. I have the driest hands in the world and all I do is put lotion on my hands – and inadvertently on my wedding rings. I ran out of the canister of jewelry cleaner I’ve had for 10 years and can’t seem to find it at Target or the drugstore. I know most jewelers will clean any ring for free in their special cleaner machine, but i never seem to think of that while I am driving past a jeweler.

Alas, no need to buy special cleaner, according to De Beers (esteemed purveyors of diamonds):

“To keep your diamonds clean between visits, mix some mild liquid detergent with water and apply with a soft, natural bristle brush. Rinse with fresh water and dry with a clean soft cloth.”
I did it – and it works. Other methods I have heard but am afraid to try – toothpaste, vodka, and 409 cut with water. Share your ring cleaning methods here!

24 Responses to “Quick jewelry cleaning tip”

1. Christine says:

My favorite jewelry cleaning is best alongside my morning cappuccino. I get a needle nosed pliers and a soft dish cloth and hold my ring or other piece of jewelry with the pliers using the dish cloth to protect the jewelry from scratching (and my hand from scorching).

I heat up my espresso machine and using the frothing wand let steam shoot on all sides of my jewelry. This way there are no cleaning detergents to harm delicate stones and the force and heat of the steam blows away dirt and grime. You know when to you go to a nice jewelry store and they take your ring to the back to be cleaned you often hear a steam blast sound, do it at home!

Next, remember to brew your espresso and froth your milk for your morning cappuccino! You have your machine all heated up, might as well as enjoy a caffeinated treat :)

2. R says:

Toothpaste except on stones like opal.

3. happyldy says:

Diamonds love to take a soak in vinegar. I usually use white, but have also used the wine vinegar. Just like cleaning your windows with vinegar, it loosens the grim from the diamond. Soak, maybe 5 minutes, use a soft brush (your child’s old toothbush), a quick rinse in clear water and sparklers are all clear!!

4. jewelry sales person says:

DO NOT use toothpaste, it’s abrasive! it may clean a hard stone like diamond but will scratch all other stones and the metal they are set in! Also keep all stones and jewelry away from chlorine. Chlorine pits stones and metal.
    Window cleaner or watered down ammonia brushed with a soft small brush and finished with a cool water rinse will work the best to remove grime from most stones. DO NOT use on emeralds, opals, pearls, turquoise or similar soft stones. Emeralds and opals like mineral oil, pearls just need a soft cloth run over them, especially if your stones are on a string, the string should not get wet, it will dry out or stretch.
    Use a jewelry polishing cloth for silver or gold metals.

5. Sue J says:

For the BEST sparkle,make a past w/ water and some Bar Keepers Friend.
    BKF can be found at Walmart. BKF will also make your stainless shine and remove any hard water stains in your sink or toilet!
    MY FAV!!!!

6. Sue J says:

Use a soft bristle brush to clean your diamonds, and they will SHINE!!!

7. Carol says:

I let them soak in ammonia, then use a soft brush.

Rinse in water and there you go.

8. Jewell says:

I had heard that denture cleaning tablets work really well. I tried it, and I was amazed at how beautiful my jewelry looked after only a few minutes of soaking in the cleaner. Just soak for a little while, rinse in water, dry with a soft cloth and watch them sparkle!

9. mydear1 says:

I always use toothpaste!!!!! Spread it on, buff it off and rinse. Plain white toothpaste works the best—the gels and colors are just distractions, and are more difficult to remove.

10. Kathy says:

Small amount of Woolite in a shot glass to cover jewelry, soak for a few hours, rinse well; beautiful shine to your diamonds and your gold chains. I have not tried this with any other gems. Have been doing this for years with no problems.

11. DONNA says:

I use rubbing alcohol for my diamond’s. I was told by my Jeweler to place it in a glass bowl add your rings and let it sit for a little while I let it sit overnight so it cleans when I sleep and then take a soft toothbrush and scrub it, all particals come off and they look like they were just cleaned by a jeweler.

12. Lynn says:

I use alcohol. soak for a couple of hours especially earrings. sparkles like new.

13. Krys says:

I soak a couple of minutes in rubbing alcohol and brush with an old toothbrush dip back in alcohol and rinse in water.

14. Donna Williams says:

Be careful with the 409. Some years back I put a yellow topaz in the 409, forgot it for several hours, and the result was ridges eaten into the stone where it met the gold. I’m sure it’s because I used full strength and forgot it, but just watch it carefully.

15. Lisa says:

my father in law was a jeweler for well over 50 years. When I got engaged he told me to dilute some windex in warm tap water. let the ring soak for a few minutes and then with a soft tooth brush swirl the water around for about 30 seconds, gently scrub the ring withthe soft toothbrush and rinse under warm water. dry with a soft clothor towel. Your jewelry will sparkle and it only takes minutes.

16. Linda says:

Being a bartender, I’ve many times used a little vodka in a shot glass and let my diamond rings soak a bit while I’m working. Rinse with lukewarm water and let air dry. My rings really shine. Just don’t keep the ring glass anywhere near your sink and dirty glasses.

17. Rita says:

An old Japanese jewelers cleaning method is bring enough water and dish detergent to boil in a glass pot and on low heat put rings into pot and simmer for a few minutes (not pearls). Use a very soft toothbrush to make sure jewelry is clean. Rinse in
    lukewarm water and dry with a soft cloth. I have found this works better than any chemical cleaning and the jewelry looks great a lot longer.

18. Karen says:

I soak in ammonia and then use soft bristle brush. Rinse with water.

19. Mimi says:

Spray your rings with Dow Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner and brush with a soft toothbrush. Rinse under water and dry with a soft cloth. This cleans better than any jewelry cleaner and even better then taking them to the jewelry store to have them cleaned

20. Diane says:

I just use a soft toothbrush and any kind of liquid hand soap. You wash your hands all of the time with your rings on and it doesn’t hurt the rings, works great.

21. asenath says:

windex was always told toothpaste was bad on diamonds and the jeweler we always go to uses windex also. put in a cup let your jewelry set for a minute then brush with a soft toothbrush.

22. pjtuley says:

I use warm water mixed with the yellow liquid Mr. Clean. Soak and use a childs toothbrush to scrub rinse well and dry with a micro towel.

23. Kim says:

I always use a drop of Dawn dish soap and a battery powered toothbrush. Makes the rings look sparkly new !

24. maya says: