Pet Lovers

In-home puppy training sessions – worth the expense?

This fall I was reintroduced to the world of puppies, after twelve years, as my friend and my cousin both adopted new furry family members. When my husband and I got our dog twelve years ago, we didn’t have any children - Biko was our baby. It was ridiculous. Doggie play dates, endless photos, swapping stories with co-workers. Those days are long gone for us as Biko is low man on the totem pole in our now-full house of three kids.

When we were “training’ our dog (I use that term loosely, more like trying to prevent him from jumping on people and knocking them over) we enrolled in a puppy obedience class, which seemed to be the only option at the time. My husband and I went once each week for eight weeks and basically we were trained on how to train our dog with ten or so other owner/puppy combos. My parents laughed at us at the time that we even found it necessary to go to this class. Couldn’t we just read a book, they scoffed?

Well, wait until my parents hear what the new craze is in training puppies now – puppy or dog trainers make house calls. Both my friend and my cousin purchased packages (they don’t even know each other, by the way) of 6 or so in-home sessions with a dog trainer. They have found them to be hugely successful, the benefits being the puppy is comfortable in their home, cutting down on the anxiety and distraction of being around a group of other dogs, and it’s their real life setting, making it easier for the dog, and owner to replicate training methods once the trainer exits. I asked how they found out about this in-house training set-up and they both were given referrals by their vet and breeder.

I am not sure if I will do the same down the road should we have a new puppy (and sadly, considering Biko is twelve, it may be sooner than later), but it sounds like it works. Pricey but if it makes it easier to train your puppy, it’s probably worth it.

8 Responses to “In-home puppy training sessions – worth the expense?”

1. regina groppi says:

I really need help I am on disability going to lose my dog please help http://www.giveforward.com/savin

2. Roeena says:

We have a new puppy after years of rescuing slightly older adult dogs and it has been an eye-opening experience as well as rewarding! Our Yellow Lab pup – Remington – has turned out to be an amazing dog and he is only shy of 6 months old. He is extremely smart and we are extremely lucky to have chosen him. I think all good things come to those who wait and and we lucked out. Any type of consistency or training only benefits everyone involved and always worth every penny or time spent! Can you get NutrishDog food in Canada??

3. tt says:

we are doing in home training with our puppy and I have to say it is totally worh it. the trainer is flexible and she can see how our dog behaves in her every day environment. training is necessary b/c most dogs have to be hepled in how to behave properly and to make sure those negative behaviors are squashed before they start.

4. Kimberly says:

Rachael, I LOVE Your blog….. I am 46 & I married my soul mate in 2004. For our first Christmas he surprised me with a 8 week old jack russell. I named him Oscar (From Sesame Street. I thought it would be a perfect reference for a child). May I mention, I have at this point nver had children. 5 Years into our marriage, we tried, after fertility treatment, I was not able to produce. So, my little Oscar has been my baby, & remains my little furry angel. I’m good with that!

My question to you is, we currently have 2 friends living with us for 2 months & I am so ready to ring their neck. Neither of them have children and they are both around 40ish. How in the world do you make people understand that a dog is like a child! Or am I wrong? Especially with a person as myself, not having children….

He leaves toothpicks laying around & Oscar got ahold of one. So 1) have been on poop watch to make sure He passes it, 2)No blood in the stool.
    3)On temperature watch 4) On Gum watch. All because he left a toothpick laying around…..

uuuuuuggggg,,,,,

5. tiffany says:

i am starting up a rescue and i was woundering yall could help on how to get started i have rescued 24 dogs because they were going to be euthinzed and i could not stand it and i am buying two 50 lb bags a food or more a week just to feed them and that is very hard for me but i want these animals to have a good and loving home they are wounderful puppies and some adult dogs i need help if anyone could give info thanks tiffany

6. A & E says:

We write a blog about our two rescue pitbulls in Chicago. We are trying to get the word out about a great pooch that is looking for her forever home and raise funds for her cataract surgery. We were hoping you could help by advertising her ChipIn at
    and foster Facebook page at

Thanks,

A & E at pittiesincity.blogspot.com

7. Good luck with your rescue efforts A & E, Pits get such a bad rap. I hope you get lots of contributions. Thank you for doing a good thing!

8. Sandi says:

I can tell you why in-home training for a puppy is not your vest option, because im a professional dog trainer. Sure the puppy is comfortable and not distracted. Sure you’re more comfortable. But your puppy is missing out on something EXTREMELY important: socialization!! Not only with other dogs but a lot of new people and maybe kids as well!! Also, if you teach a puppy at home, they may only do their ‘sit’, ‘stay’ etc at home and not at the vet, or dog park or a store! When they learn out of their home and then you practice at home they develop transference, meaning they can perform all their tricks wherever you want them too! Learning with distractions is also a good thing. It teaches your puppy to focus better!
    If anyone has any questions about dog training, feel free to email me at BowowTrainer@gmail.com