Pet Lovers

Canine Bloat

A friend posted a link to this article today on canine bloat – which is basically when a dog’s stomach fills with air and/or food, becomes distended, and the stomach often twists. Symptoms vary from here – some dogs are listless, some agitated. They can vomit white foam. The key to saving your dog is acting fast and trusting your instincts – if you have any sense at all that something is wrong, take your dog to your vet. Fast. Big dogs with broad chests (like Dobermans, Great Danes and Boxers) or who eat extremely quickly (like my Yellow Lab who inhales his food in 2.3 seconds) are most at risk. Dog owners – educate yourselves and read this very informative article – “What You Don’t Know About Bloat Can Kill Your Dog” here.

8 Responses to “Canine Bloat”

1. Patrick says:

Thank you for posting information about bloat!

I used to think it was “cute” and “timely” when my Lab would “scarf” his food until I realized how dangerous this can actually be.

I found these anti-bloat bowls on this website and thought I’d share it with anyone who wants to slow their pups down during chow-time.

Thanks again for educating us about bloat!

2. Marianne says:

My sweet Cody passed away from bloat 31/2 years ago. It was horrible. Using the special bowls( I have them for 3 of my Golden Retrievers) are very helpful. Also I feed them twice a day so they don’t eat too much at one time.
    Thanks for posting this info to all.

3. Kris says:

If you suspect your dog is bloating, I’ve read that treating them with GasX before rushing them to the vet, can help.

4. Pat says:

I have Bull Mastiffs which are prone to bloat, what we do is to crate the dogs for an hour after every meal. Never heard about using GasX. For other intestinal distress (gas) plain fat free yogurt on the dog’s food. Also helps to hide pills in!!

5. Kellie says:

I am a Vet Tech by trade..I have Great Danes and I do not Let them play 1 hour before or after meals and do not let them gulp to much water after running around and playing, Feed and water elevated, I also soak there food in a little water 20 prior to feeding,cuts down on the food swelling up in stomach..and Pat thats good to crate if have to before meals…..Peace and love your animals.

6. susanne says:

My Cockapoo dog – Newman loves Rachel Ray dog food.. Just thought I would pass this onto other Rachel fans… Good luck!

7. kelly bloxsom says:

its me agin was not sure you would get this i live in michagan they are trying to pass a bill (#4714) so we will not be allowed to own pit bulls i dont even know if u can help but we cant let this happen thanks for everything i am not good with computer so sorry if i did this wrong thanks

8. sophia smith says:

WHY CAN I NOT FIND ANY COUPONS ON RACHELS DOG FOOD THAT WILL PRINT EVERY TIME I FIND ONE ON THE WEBSIGHT IT WILL NOT LET ME PRINT THEM WHY WHY WHY