The Cleaning Lady

Is there a natural way to kill weeds on your lawn?

I was with a friend the other day and we were talking about gardening plans – mine is just to get some plants in some pots and try to keep them alive until August, while my friend’s plans are much more expansive. Also, she uses all organic materials, while I am a lover of Miracle Grow (I need all the help I can get). She was wondering if there is a natural, non-chemical way to kill weeds on your lawn. I promised her I would do some research and get back to her.

The good news is, there are some easy methods you can try to kill lawn weeds with household products that are probably in your kitchen. The bad news is they aren’t guaranteed and they will kill the grass around the weeds you are treating unless you create a barrier with cardboard tubing around the weed or cover the grass around it with plastic. Also, make sure your lawn is dry and there is no rain in the forecast for best chance at these natural remedies working.

Here are a few things to try out to take on those weeds:

Boiling water: Cut off the top of the weed and pour boiling water directly over the plant to kill the roots and the seeds. Continue daily until you see results.

Vinegar: Put some white household vinegar in a spray bottle and spray weeds weekly until you see results. You can also add a tablespoon or so of dish soap to the spray bottle to break down waxy weed leaves. Special horticulture vinegar is stronger and may be more effective – you can buy it at most nurseries.

Salt: Sprinkle a few pinches of salt at the base of the weed weekly until you see results. Wait at least a month to plant grass as salt adversely affects the soil.

Alcohol: You can use rubbing alcohol or drinking alcohol (ie gin, bourbon, etc.) to spray your weeds – add 5-10 tablespoons to a quart of warm water and spray the weeds thoroughly. The alcohol dehydrates the weeds – repeat daily until you see results.

Happy gardening!

6 Responses to “Is there a natural way to kill weeds on your lawn?”

1. Mike says:

Not trying to be cute or nasty, but believe it or not, human urine kills the weeds too. You can use a child’s potty and store the urine in a jar. Sprinkle on weeds and Voila, it works in a day or two.

2. Cindy says:

I use vinegar but get much quicker results by pouring it directly on the weed, using enough so the roots will soak it up. Weeds will be dead the next day or so!

3. Eva says:

Of course there’s the approach of pulling them, best when the soil is wet. I actually did this…once.
    I’ve thought of having weed wacking parties, but can’t think of anyone to invite that would actually come. Then the other approach not is to involve friendly neighborhood children. I’ve thought of rewarding the kids per weed turn it into a game or competition. Perhaps those who are committed to safe ways of weed removal could volunteer their time and surfaces on the lawns of those who don’t have the time, energy, resources to otherwise rid their lawns and gardens of weeds. This could go on Meet Up. Weed Wackers United. Well Good Luck

4. becky says:

Question, Can you use these methods in flower beds? I hate pulling weeds from my flower beds, they grow faster than I can get them pulled. I would like something natural, but that won’t kill my flowers?

5. Larry Cesare says:

ALL PURPOSE WEED KILLER

VINEGAR 12 CUPS
    SALT 2 CUP
    DISH SOAP 2 TBSP.
    HOT WATER 4 CUPS
    MAKES 4 QUARTS

Place salt in a one gallon jug. Add hot water to
    dissolve salt.
    Let cool. Add dish soap and vinegar. Mix well. Try not to spray it on grass. Same day results.
    Leaves turn black within hours of application.

Note: try using half of the ingredients for a start.

6. Dawn says:

A great pre-emergent weed killer is corn gluten meal. It’s 100% organic and also fertilizes at the same time. A lot of research has been done on this and was discovered by the Iowa University.