basil-mine1
Questions for the Cook

Popular Summer Herbs?

Dear Cooks:

What are the five most popular summer herbs? I want to try an herb garden this year.

Thanks,

Barb in Connecticut (via Facebook)

Dear Barb -

Check out our Herbs and Spices Guide for info and recipes featuring the gamut of herbs, but to answer your question, here are our five favorite summer herbs – we are pretty sure they are among the five most popular:

Basil. Sliced garden-fresh tomatoes with fresh mozzarella, basil and a drizzle of EVOO means summer to us.

Thyme. Thyme is lemony and aromatic and great with grilled chicken, fish and in egg dishes.

Italian Parsley. Like a classic strand of pearls, Italian parsley provides the perfect finishing touch to any dish and immediately dresses it up.

Mint. Mint grows like a weed and is great in sweet and savory dishes from Iced tea to grilled meats and fruit salads and salsas.

Oregano. Fresh oregano is a strong flavor that is widely used in Mediterranean dishes like Greek salads, grilled pizzas, pasta salads and in lemon-based marinades for grilled chicken and veggies.

16 Responses to “Popular Summer Herbs?”

1. kristi says:

I grow my herbs in an old whiskey barrell! They grow like weeds. I am about out of last years crop and this year’s is almost ready for the first cutting

2. Rita says:

Mint and Cilantro so far! Need to try Oregano next!

3. Loreen walker says:

I’ve planted all of the above. This year I also planted Rosemary and French Tarragon. Fresh herbs all summer- yummo!

4. Rebecca Maas says:

wHAT SITE DO i GO TO TO GET JENNIFER ANDERSON’S PERFUME

5. Jocelyn says:

I have also started my herb garden this year, I have all the above plus Rosemary, Thai Sweet Basil, Chocolate Mint, Pineapple Mint, Coriander/Cilantro, Spring Onions, Dill, Lemon Grass and Camomile!

6. Gabrielle says:

Sounds good. I am growing mint and basil this year. If anyone is interested I started a new blog at http://www.projectpaperie.blogspot.com. I would be honored if you would visit and consider becoming a follower. Thank you.

7. Ramlan Tjong says:

Nice tv program, i often see it in Indonesia

8. success_1of4 says:

I this herbs are very beneficial to cooking. During my recent trip to the supermarket, I had to pick up some Italian Parsley and Oregano. Evidently, I needed to fill up on my seasoning cabinet, while I was also preparing to cook on lasagna and Shrimp Alfredo (Friday & Monday, respectively). On the contrary, I’ve never had the opportunity to use mint or thyme. In contrast I have used basil previously.

9. Dixe Taylor says:

Mrs. Ray I just got back from a Texas-Iowa pork producer tour. And I’m watch the Texas theme 30 minute show and I wanted to share with you the new tempature for pork. 145 degrees. Thank you for showing your viewers a yummy way make pork! My family and I love to watch your show and have gotten alot of great meals!

10. Dee Namie says:

Dear Rachael,

How do I make meatballs that are not so tough and hard. My Italian grandmother’s were always soft, not chewy. What am I doing wrong?

11. Kirsten says:

Basil is an annual, so I usually pick up a pot of this every spring for my patio. I have Thyme, Rosemary, Mint, oregano as well which are perenneals and I have them year round! Love the basil with my home grown tomatoes and fresh mozerella with some EVOO, salt and pepper… Rachael is right, this is summer!!!

12. Vanessa says:

Dear cook,

I have recently found out that I have high cholesterol and I am looking for recipes to help lower my cholesterol. I would also like to learn how to flavor foods naturally,I would be greatful for any suggestions.

13. Tiff says:

I love fresh basil and am kicking myself for not growing a little pot of it this year. There’s always next summer!

14. Elizabeth says:

Love fresh herbs. I have thyme, oregano, dill, basil and rosemary. For some reason my cilantro is not doing so well ths summer.

15. Patricia Struglia says:

I grow all the above herbs and love them all summer just remember though some of them are perennials so when you clean up your garden don’t throw out oregano chives mint or sage I grow mine in pots and just let them die off naturally (I am in a cold part of the country) they die back naturally but then every sring come right back and it’s wonderful to have them all through the warm months, of course if you live in a warm climate then you will have them all year!!!

16. Viktor says: