Phew! Most of the United States is experiencing an intense heatwave right about now. I am sitting in my third floor office with no air conditioning, no fan, in 90 degree temperatures. My dog is so hot and tired, he is barely panting. The thought of turning an oven on is making me sweat even more, but that is actually a good thing as sweating is your body’s way of cooling itself down. Wondering what some good food choices are when you want to beat the heat? Here are the best foods to cool you down in hot weather:
- Fruits and vegetables with a high water content like watermelon (nearly 90% water), peaches, oranges, apples, grapes, cucumber, and radishes. They actually thin the blood, and assist the body in releasing heat, which in turn cools you off.
- Lettuce, and leafy greens such as spinach and arugula, or fresh herbs such as mint and basil contain a high amount of water.
- Spices, such as fresh ginger, red chili, cayenne, wasabi, or black pepper, warm you up at first, but actually help cool you down after you sweat a little in reaction to the flavors.
- Limit meat consumption in hot weather. It’s more work for your body to digest.
- Sadly, summer favorites like ice cream and ice-cold beer are actually NOT good picks to cool you down as any food that is lower than your body temperature cools you off initially, yet 15-20 minutes later the opposite is true.
What are your favorite hot-weather foods?