emily-helm-guac
Questions for the Cook

How do you like your guac?

This past weekend was a weekend full of guacamole – what could be better? Friday night we went to a local Mexican restaurant famous for its table-side guacamole – an official “guacamole sommelier” rolls up a cart to your table and makes your guac to order. He asks your preference on cilantro or not, heat or no heat, etc., and voila, fresh delicious guac.

I like my guacamole pretty basic - I mash up some avocados with minced red onion, some diced plum tomato, lemon juice and salt. Sometimes I will throw in a minced garlic clove and a few dashes of Tabasco.

On Saturday night we were treated to a friend’s “famous guacamole” – pictured above. She likes her without heat or cilantro but adds texture with some white corn and sweet grape tomatoes. It was really delicious – I asked her to share her recipe:

Em’s Famous Guacamole

Ingredients

4-6 medium Haas avocados, ripe (tip: to speed up the ripening process of avocados, put them in a paper bag with an apple, banana or tomato. The fruits release a gas which will speed up the process – it will still take 1-3 days)

1/2 tablespoon each lemon juice and lime juice (adjust to taste)

1/4 cup diced red onion

ten grape tomatoes, halved

1/3 cup white corn (if using frozen, thawed)

1 teaspoon kosher salt

salt and cracked pepper to taste

Directions

Peel and halve avocados and place in large bowl. Roughly cut with a knife, and add remaining ingredients. Stir with a fork, but do not over-mix Рyou still want some chunks of avocado. Add salt and pepper to taste Рguacamole can need a significant amount of salt to bring out the flavors.  Serve immediately, or store in fridge in a bowl with plastic wrap pressed directly on the guacamole Рthis will help prevent browning.

11 Responses to “How do you like your guac?”

1. Sheri says:

I always get tons of compliments on my Guacamole. My secret ingredient is cream cheese. It makes it smoother and tastier!

2. Maggie says:

I LOVE chunky guacamole. Dice avocado, drizzle with lime juice, add your favorite salsa, combine and enjoy! The avocado stays chunky so each bite is a blend of yummy salsa and and creamy avocado. Simple and YUMMY!

3. Lydia says:

With diced tomatoes (rid of juice), cilantro, purple onion, lime/lemon juice and a dab of hot sauce!

4. Judi says:

Ours is simple: avocado, minced onions, minced tomatos, garlic salt, and pepper. And some New Mexico Hatch Green Chili to taste! No lemon juice, no cilantro, it’s just perfect! Mix everything together and leave a little chunky.

Be sure to keep the “seeds” to keep in your guacamole to keep it looking green!

5. Jessey says:

You need HAAS avacados for sure. Diced or smash the avacado. Add diced tomotoes, diced oninions, diced serrano pepper, chopped cilantro, Some lime juice, and salt. This is super guac. Eat with plain tortilla chips. Wow…Rachael its easy.

6. Madeline says:

Oooh, I have a famous Guac recipe, too!

Mine is 4 avocados, 4 cloves of garlic, very finely chopped, some chopped white onion and tomato, the juice of a lime, a dash of hot sauce, and salt. It never lasts very long at a party!

7. Lynne says:

I only like fresh corn on the cob, not as an ingredient. I like chunky guacamole & I use lime juice, diced tomatoes, a splash of hot sauce, finely sliced & chopped green onion (whites only) & cilantro when the mood strikes. I sometimes add a bit of sour cream or run a bit of cottage cheese in the blender & add. For some reason I never have a problem with the guac turning brown overnight (or several days) when I add cottage cheese.

8. Val from PA says:

To me, perfect guacamole consists of a couple of avocados, finely chopped tomato, red onion and jalapeno, crushed garlic, cilantro, lime juice and salt and pepper… I like the texture to be smooth but chunky at the same time… Delish!!!

9. Gemmill says:

Border Guac al la Gemmill. 4 large acacados chopped into 1/4 inch cubes. 1 cup Pace Salsa hot or medium heat. 1 package cream cheese, 1 cup sour cream 1 large onion chopped. 2 tbls lime juice. 1 tbls pepper. 1 tbls salt. Chill and serve. Make the day before and cover with plastic wrap.

10. patsu says:

I have found adding a little homemade salsa to the avacado mixture is perfect and easy. Sometimes squirt a little lime in at the end and add more cilantro if needed.

11. don says:

oh you have no idea.

roast red onion, roast tomato and roast jalapeno and roast garlic in oven.

tons of avocado, cilantro and then the top three all diced up.

nothing better with some lime juice.