Pet Lovers

Make your own dog biscuits!

These might be the best dog biscuits your dog will ever snack on. This fall I coached a girls running/character program called Girls on the Run and part of the program dictates that the group design and execute a community service program. The overwhelming majority of my group voted to do a project to benefit our local SPCA. We decided to collect items the shelter needs for the dogs, pulling from a list on their website, and we also made dog biscuits from a recipe posted on the SPCA site.

The recipe couldn’t be easier and the girls had a blast. I gave some samples to my dogs, and they devoured them. This would be a cute holiday gift for your dog-owning family and friends.

Homemade Dog Biscuits

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat flour

3/4 cup nonfat powdered milk

1/2 cup rolled oats

1/4 cup cornmeal

1/3 cup creamy peanut butter

1/2 cup hot water

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. You may have to use your hands as it will be very dry. Pat it onto a cookie sheet to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes of your choice. You can let dry or bake in a 350 degree F oven until firm, about 10-15 minutes.

9 Responses to “Make your own dog biscuits!”

1. Maribel M says:

This sounds like a great project to try with my kids. I love that the recipe includes healthy ingredients. I wonder how long they will last if we make a big batch. Any idea on the shelf life of the finished product? Considering we have four dogs, ranging from 4 to 85 lbs, this may not be an issue.

2. Angie G. says:

I definitely plan to make these for my Aussie who has diabetes. He should tolerate them well and he loves anything with peanut butter. Thanks for the recipe!

3. Jessica L says:

I made these cookies for my pit mix Bella and they were a HUGE hit!! and I must say my 2 1/2 yr old loves them too!! I gave her one to feed Bella and she took a bite herself! It is so nice knowing i can treat my dog to something healthy I made! ty for the recipe!!!

4. Mary says:

The dog biscuits I make freeze beautifully. Whip up a big batch and freeze some.

5. Mary Alice Bodeker says:

I just wanted to know what kind of cupcakes can I make for my kids (dogs) birthday?

6. Andrea says:

I’ve made 3 different kinds of dog biscuits: chicken, peanut butter, and oatmeal. I freeze most of them, then I keep about a dozen of them in the dog treat container. Then I replenish with the frozen treats. My dog LOVES homemade treats!

7. Milagro says:

I needed to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely
    loved every little bit of it. I’ve got you book-marked to
    look at new stuff you post…

8. Romana E. says:

are these healthy for dogs? Peanut butter? MY dog has very sensitive digestion.

• Jenn Giacoppo says:

Hi Romana,
      Always keep your own dog’s health and particular preferences in mind :) What works for some may not work for others! Thanks, Jenn – RachaelRay.com