Our newest addition – beautiful Chloe the 3 year old lab – has been with us 2 1/2 months and is the best thing that has happened to our family in a while. My older daughter in particular has bonded with her, and our dear 13 1/2 year old lab, Biko, seems to have a new lease on life. Whereas he used to sleep the day away, now when Chloe runs to the door, he runs to the door. He sees Chloe play with toys, he plays with toys. He hasn’t picked up a toy in years.
Last week, out of the blue, Chloe started limping one evening. Not a light limp, but she couldn’t put any pressure on her front right paw, at all. We didn’t see her hurt herself – my kids were roughhousing with her but she is a hardy dog at nearly 90 pounds. She took to her crate (voluntarily) for the night and I was a wreck. I was tempted to give her some ibuprofen, knowing that our vet had previously prescribed human Benadryl when Biko had an allergic reaction.
After some Internet research and a quick call to the emergency vet clinic, I learned to never ever give your dogs ibuprofen! Even a small amount can be toxic, to any pet. When it comes to giving your pet any medication, always call your vet before you do anything. As for Chloe’s limp, it cleared up on its own in two days – she was up and running in no time.