Questions for the Cook

Hard Boiled Eggs?

Dear Cooks:

On her show last week, Rachael explained how to cook hard boil eggs so they will crack easily. She said to put eggs in cold water and heat until the water comes to a boil, then turn off stove and let the eggs sit in the pan covered. I cant remember how long they were to sit and what you did after that – can you help?

Thanks,

Egg Lover

Dear EL:

Follow these steps and you will have fool proof, easy to peel hard boiled eggs every time:

1) Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water by about an inch.

2) Bring water just to a boil, then cover pan and remove from the heat.

3) Let eggs sit in covered pan of water for ten minutes, then drain and rinse in cool water until eggs are cool to the touch.

4) Peel under cold water.

5) Enjoy!

15 Responses to “Hard Boiled Eggs?”

1. Delma West says:

I would like the recipe for the stuffed chicken breast that you showed on your show today, Wednesday, February 8, 2012.

2. Linda says:

I just happened to read your blog. I have found that the easiest way to cook and peel hard boiled eggs is to cook them in my vegetable steemer for about 23 minutes. Then when you start to peel them, run the cracked egg under the faucet to start. They always peel easy.

3. Patricia says:

I had a chance to watch your show today, February 9, 2012. You made a pizza with clams, bacon,cheese, panko crumbs on top of of a special roll or bread you cut in half piled the ingredients on, places in oven to melt cheese…..Please, my mouth is still watering…..I cannot find that rescipe anywhere on your site…..HELP!

4. Joanie says:

After you boil the eggs..cracked all the eggshells but don’t peel, just put them back in pot and cover in cold water and let them sit for awhile.
    The water will seep in through all the cracks and make peeling them easy peasy! Try it ..it works great every time.

5. Terry says:

I am looking for the recipe using Chicken Cutlets from the Grandma & Granddaughter that was on Friday’s show 2/10/12. I segment was something like “Grannies at the Grammies” I believe or something along that line.

6. Ginger Banko says:

Hey Rach have you ever been to Jamaica? Do you like their food. I constantly kept tasting a spice that I am not familiar with and didn’t care for. Do your know what it was.?

7. Cynthia OGBORNE says:

Hi Rachel,
    I would love a recipr or two for veal cutlets. Right now I’m on a very strict regime and CAN NOT use any oils. Herbs are fine. What I’ve been doing is wrapping my 3 1/2 oz piece of meat in foil & baking it at 350 degrees. I tried the pan, with a little water, but these cutlets are the leaniest piece of meat and thin so as a result they can and oftet do overcook. I’m working on it, but veal is so expensive that I won’t throw any of it away. I can not have any sauces or combine vergtables and those are limited as well. I can have as much garlic as I want. I have used fresh wilted spinach once, another time basil – after I baked it. (all from my little garden – yum) Please feel free to suggest temperature, cooking time anything else you deem important or exciting. Thank you Rach!
    Cynthia

Have a little of your cookware, always wanting more of course, but not in the budget right now.

8. I have a problem with Lasagna noodles sticking together when boiling, and I tried putting a few drops of Olive Oil in pan when boiling them, Please help!

9. Patti says:

I tried this for egg salad. I ended up with egg yolk salad as the shells were GLUED to the whites. There was NO easy peeling. NOT recommended!

10. Patti says:

Oh, and I cracked the eggs prior to putting them in an ice bath. Just didn’t work – never does. This isn’t the first time I’ve tried this. I am still searching for the proper way to cook eggs. And yes, the eggs were fresh from the store, like 2 hours in the house.

• Paula says:

Place eggs in pot of cold water, covering about an inch above eggs. Add a tablespoon of any type of vinegar (white, cider, red wine even).
      Bring to a boil (should take about 12 minutes).
      Remove from stove, empty hot water and run cold water over eggs for a minute or two.
      Set pot with eggs aside for up to 10 minutes (so you can easily pick one up and not burn your fingers). They should peel easily.
      Sometimes very fresh eggs have a tough albumin bind and the vinegar helps release the shell from the egg as well as kills any lingering germs! This should work for you.

11. MB says:

Fresh eggs are harder to peel when boiled. There is little air in the shell when they are fresh. The older they get the more of an air pocket forms as the contents contract. You want to use older eggs for boiling or the white will stick to the shell. I have laying hens and know this for a fact. I track what eggs are the oldest and use those to hard boil.

12. Nancy Guss says:

I use this method and also add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water and the shell peels easily after cooling in a cold water bath.