studio_delwrhn_347_bc
Last minute lady

The chicken and the egg

As I was strolling through the farmer’s market the other day, I was admiring the araucana eggs, all light blue and fresh looking, but they cost a fortune!  I bought them anyway to remind myself that they do in fact taste different, not only because of the breed, but also because they are organic and straight from the farm.

I decided to have hard boiled eggs the next day for breakfast so I could eat really the egg and nothing else.  Someone with more courage may have even eaten them raw but I am no Rocky.  The egg yolks were such a beautifully vibrant and yellow color, and they literally tasted like the earth and grass that those chickens must snack on while roaming free.

It got me thinking-I have these two guinea pigs as pets who, while cute and affectionate, are pretty useless.  I actually feel bad for them because they are caged almost all the time.  The cage is no normal cage, it is a 3′x5′ pen really, one that I have to bring myself to clean every week.  I thought, if I can take care of guinea pigs, why can’t I get my own young chickens and care for them, and this way, we also get eggs out of the deal and I don’t have to spend a fortune at the farmer’s market.  Not only that, I will know exactly what those birds are eating and be able to literally take a freshly laid, still-warm egg and call it breakfast.  Ah sigh, what a thought!

So I looked around and found these chicken coops you can order online-simple to install and not too expensive (the wooden ones I found were over $1K). They are from a British company called-are you ready-Omlet (ha ha).  Apparently in Europe it isn’t so crazy to have chickens as pets.Their website makes it all seem so easy.  I mean just look at this happy mother with her children and her chickens!  How natural and carefree!  Plus, if you order the coop from this site, you can also order the chickens to come with them and they will be delivered to you!

So far my town is ignoring me since I called and emailed them to make sure we are allowed to keep livestock as pets.  Apparently this is not acceptable everywhere and someone told me my town won’t allow it, so being the good citizen, I am actually asking permission and waiting patiently…..

Does anyone else keep chickens?  If so, any advice?  Are they easy to care for?  Is it worth it?

Rosemary Maggiore is our Last Minute Lady. A single mom of two kids plus a full time job (she runs this website!) keep her busy and usually pushing things to the last minute. Somehow she manages to keep her cool and her sanity while she enjoys good food, wine, friends and most importantly, family.

For more Ro, see:

Mom Talk

Follow me on Twitter at @lastminutelady

9 Responses to “The chicken and the egg”

1. Dee says:

You should look up “The Chicken Whisper” on Facebook. I wealth of info!!

2. patti marshall says:

I have been raising chickens or 2 years now and I love my girls. They are hardly any work and so much fun to watch and the fresh eggs are delicious. I highly recommend it

3. kat says:

hello in response to your chickens you want to make sure they are young that way they adapt to you quicker they need to feel comfortable before they will lay eggs and if you are where it gets cold in the winter you will need a heat source for them. they tend to be pretty easy to care for young ones need grit to help digest there food. also you will want to have somewhere for them to roost preferable the dark unless its cold … i don’t have chickens at this time but have had them in the past for eggs and breeding to eat . and just so you know u can have different breeds in the same coop.just keep in mind some of the larger breeds may pick on the smaller ones. and one more note you wanna keep the coop clean that way there is no disease. wish you lots of luck and hope that your township lets you have them .

4. Sandy says:

I’ve kept chickens for years. It would only take 3 or 4 hens to keep you in eggs all year long. Chickens are social animals, so plan on getting atleast 2 to keep each other company. Chickens range in all sizes, it’s usually the large fowl that will keep you in eggs most of the year. Pick your breed wisely so you can enjoy fresh eggs. I prefer Orpingtons myself. A nice quite breed that love to be made over and hugged. You do not need a rooster for hens to lay eggs. With only a few hens bag of good layer pellets will last you a month or more. I’ll take fresh farm eggs over a store bought battery hens anyday.

5. Linda says:

Go to mypetchicken.com. or backyardchickens.com. You will find lots of ideas and can order your peeps from there. I live on Easter LI and we had chickens.

6. patti marshall says:

I like Orpingtons too. I have 4 buff Orpingtons and they are very friendly, when I let them out of their run, they follow me around the yard. I feed them layer pellets and veggie scraps and for treats they love bread, cooked pasta and especially cooked oatmeal. I live in Maine where we get cold winters and mine needed a heat lamp their first winter, now they do fine in their insulated coop all year. They have a heated waterer to keep their water from freezing and seem very happy. I like them so much I plan to get a few more this year.

7. tammy says:

I have wanted to get some chickens for the eggs, but the city i live in charges a city fee of $40 a year to own 1 chicken, (the cities animal control unit told me this). i chose not to have chickens becuase that price was too high. You might also want to check on that in your city as well.
    that’s the great thing about living in the country, you don’t have to pay “fees” to own animals. Good luck.
    (I’m just glad that we don’t have to pay a fee to have a garden in our backyard.

8. Michele says:

Having. Chickens are very cool. So cool my husband has started incubating his own we always have babies around now. My mom was here cooking and and used up all the eggs in fridge she thought it was so cool just to go outside and get another one.

9. Andrea says:

Just remember that if you’re a gardener and plan to let the chickens ‘free-range’ in your garden, chaos will ensue. We’ve already been battling it out with trying to keep our birds from snacking on the seeds and new sprouts in the vegetable gardens.
    If this is a big worry, get some short barriers and a breed less prone to flying.
    Silkies are excellent for this, they don’t fly very well, they’re adorably fluffy (They look like they’re running around in their pajamas), and make for friendly pets. Though they also like to go broody often, so that means less eggs, and the eggs are rather small in the first place.
    Ameracaunas and Orpingtons have wonderful temperaments, but they’re also too clever for their own good at times. ;)