Louisa Shafia

Adorable, Durable Glass Straws

How cool are these glass straws?! Glass Dharma, a company in Fort Bragg, California, makes these straws by hand out of the same material as Pyrex, so they’re nearly unbreakable. They look beautiful and they feel good to the touch.

Why would you want to use a glass straw? Well, you may have noticed that food that touches plastic takes on a plastic flavor, so drinking from glass just tastes better. Also, there’s been a lot of news recently about the toxins in plastics, so choosing non-plastic eating utensils like plates, forks, cups, and straws seems like a good idea.

Environmentally, plastic straws are a real bummer. Although lots of straws are recyclable, most go into the trash. We throw away roughly five hundred million straws daily. FIVE HUNDRED MILLION! And that’s just in the United States. Many end up in oceans, lakes, and rivers, where they are lethal to the seabirds and sea mammals who mistake them for food.

There’s a lot to like about these glass straws. You can order them plain, or decorated with multi-colored dots. My favorite is the straw that’s bent so it tilts over your cup! The straws come with a cleaning brush, and you can order a carrying case if you want to take them on a trip. Glass Dharma has a lifetime warranty on the straws if one happens to break.

Some tips on how to use and maintain glass straws:

• Store them in a tall glass jar where they will be seen and used.
  • Wash the straws after each use with soap and water. Use the cleaning brush that comes with the straws.
  • Sanitize straws in the dishwasher. They’re dishwasher and microwave safe.
  • If the straws start to look cloudy, soak them in white vinegar and clean with the brush.
  • If you need a glass straw on the go, wrap it in a cloth or stash it in a cute hemp carrying case.

Check out Glass Dharma’s site for ordering info.

Louisa Shafia is a cook with a passion for healthy eating. She recently penned Lucid Food: Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life, a collection of seasonal recipes and eco-friendly advice on food. To watch her cooking videos, see her recipes, and find out about her cooking classes, go to lucidfood.com.

6 Responses to “Adorable, Durable Glass Straws”

1. Robert says:

Our family uses glass straws that were handmade by a mom in Michigan. The kids LOVE them, as do all adults! She even personalized the ones for my kids, and lifetime guarantees all of them! (we did break one and she replaced it so easily!!)
    I highly recommend them too! Anything to save plastic and support a nice company!!! http://www.strawesome.com is the company website!

2. Darlynn says:

I LOVE my glass straws from Glass Dharma. I have been purchasing them since they first started the business and have recommended them to all my friends and family. Only one has broken, and David gladly and promptly replaced it. They are the only glass straws that we will buy.

3. Mitch says:

I never used straws before trying Glass Dharma’s glass straws. I have to admit I was surprised that I liked them. My family now uses them all the time and we own more than the average family should have thanks to my wife!!! Glass Dharma is the best!

4. Tara says:

Wow, lovely article Louisa! I think it is awesome that Rachel Ray.com has posted about GlassDharma Glass Straws! I LOVE them! I also love that more companies are emerging that sell glass straws – so much more plastic waste will be avoided. But, my heart belongs to GlassDharma. Their straws with the colourful dots make my heart sing. They are so cool!!! But, that’s not all. Their site links to websites of organizations that promote the health of our beaches and oceans. It is one of the passions that drives GlassDharma. People like Milo, Justin Rudd and Beth Terry rock! I feel like I am linked to a community that cares! It’s awesome. I pour a drink of homemade lemonade, twirl the ice cubes with my GlassDharma straw and say, “Cheers!” to their good work : )

5. Kelley says:

Glass Dharma ran an earth day contest and my son and I WON! We LOVE our straws!
    Feeding children chicken soup in my small home daycare is SO much fun now that the kids can blow bubbles and drink the soup through straws. And they each have their own colour dots so we know whose is whose.
    BIG thanks to the wonderful staff there! Looking forward to NEVER using a plastic straw again.

6. Felicia says:

I ADORE GlassDharma straws so much that they inspired me to create a Cinderella Smoothie! That’s right; each time I enjoy one, it’s accessorized with its own “glass sipper”!

Try it with a GlassDharma straw, and you’ll enjoy your own happily-ever-after: