Pet Lovers

How to Settle Your Dog’s Stomach

Look at that sweet girl Chloe – with a stomach ache. One day last week she was crying all day. I thought it was because it was 90 degrees and we have no air conditioning. Then at dinner time she ignored her food and I knew something was wrong. She is a lab and typically wolfs down her food in about 10 seconds. I knew she hadn’t eaten anything bad (that I knew of) and then remembered she had jumped into this not-suitable-for-swimming-lake in our neighborhood (it smells horrible) when she was chasing a duck the prior day. The next day additional evidence of her upset stomach was all over the yard – and house. Yuck.

I figured her upset stomach wasn’t that serious but wanted to help her along to feeling better. Chloe had started by helping herself and skipping her dinner – smart girl. I laid off food for 24 hours to help her stomach calm itself and made sure she had lots of fresh water.¬†After the 24 hours I gave her some plain white rice mixed with plain cooked chicken which seemed to agree with her, and tried her regular dried food on day 3. Some people also treat their dog’s upset stomach with canned pumpkin. It’s very important to hydrate your pet during this kind of illness as well. She was back in action in no time – and no lake swimming for her again!

Remember to check with your dog’s vet for any concerns such as this.¬† As your dog’s “parent” you know when something isn’t quite right!

13 Responses to “How to Settle Your Dog’s Stomach”

1. vicky says:

I have the same problem with my Bostons but i give 1ml of peptobismol in the night ffor breakfast I gave them a a little of special k cereal the regular one and for lunch boiled chicken and they are better now !!! i think that the food make them sick now im trying to find one that they can eat

2. Annette says:

Thanks for sharing. We have a shepherd mix that loves to “run the ranch” when we visit my mom and dad. She has come home not feeling well and your input will help if this happens again.

3. AshB says:

Canned pumpkin was great when our puppy was constipated. This happened as a side effect from anesthesia when she had surgery. Great recommendation from our vet!

Also, we have recently switched to your lamb recipe because of a food allergy. She’s picky but loves your food! Plus, it’s so good for her. Thanks!

4. Thank you very much for posting this. Something so simple will be remembered by those who need it from here on out. Less panic and vet bills:)

5. susan says:

No peptic,use Imodium. .

6. Jessica says:

Human drugs can be extremely dangerous for your pets. Please make sure you check with your veterinarian before deciding to give anything that your pet wasn’t prescribed.

7. Angel Baxter says:

I really don’t have a comment about the upset stomachs but being in dog rescue for 40 years I would like to make a statement that is of great concern around the world. I have watched the celebrities like Betty white and many others try to do good things onn their own but it came to me that if someonne like you could use their publicity and media to save pets, this would be good. My idea was to contact any and all public figures, movie stars, and others to band togeather and promote and sponsor spaying and neutering facilities around the United States .To cut down on unwanted animals being killed we desperately need low cost places to take care of this problem

8. Deb says:

As Jessica said I would not give human Medication to my dogs without a Vets approval and make sure that the dosage is absolutely correct. Many pets have been killed by people giving them medications not meant for them.

9. Grace says:

I found a great way to settle my dog Austin’s stomach, I bought this really great dog treat book that focuses on healthy with a purpose, and they had some recipes on upset stomachs, within one week, he was being his normal happy self again, I recommend this book so strongly to all dog parents – oh and its done in 30 minutes or less (hello!) Anyway, its not expensive and I really can’t credit it highly enough, check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C371NF4
    Trust me! Your dog will benefit from it, just like my Austin :)

10. diane says:

love your dog food . my jack Russell/cocker spaniel mix has digestive tract problems and your food works great……she hates can food but loves your dry food moisten

11. Donna says:

I have a pug and a beagle that both are very picky eaters the only food they will eat is Nutrish in the green bag , I now need a good dog treat so my question is does anyone have one that is easy on the stomach. My pug also has allergies to wheat

• Ashley says:

Donna,

Try baby carrots. They are healthy, small, and easy on the stomach. My golden mix eats them as treats because she, too, has quite a sensitive stomach.

12. Julie says:

To edit the note below: do not ever give your dog peptobismol as it contains salicylate, which can cause allergic reactions.