Making homemade pickles is easier than you think and so much fun! Kids will have a blast filling the jars with cucumbers and watching them transform into something salty and delicious. These bread and butter pickle chips have a slightly sweet and tangy taste that’s great for sammies or anytime snacking
Quick Bread and Butter Pickles
Makes 4 jars
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2 hothouse cucumbers
1. Slice cucumbers 1/4-inch in thickness.
2. Combine vinegars, water, sugar, salt, dill and mustard seed in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes, then turn off heat. Allow mixture too cool for 10 minutes.
3. Place cucumbers into four small mason jars (or any jar or container with a tight fitting lid) making sure to fill each jar almost all the way full with cucumbers. Pour pickling liquid over cucumbers until they are full submerged in the liquid. Put the lids onto each jar and refrigerate for a minimum of two hours but overnight is best. Pickles may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.
Christina Stanley-Salerno is a mama, recipe developer, food stylist, photographer and blogger atTakeBackYourTable.com. She loves cooking for and with her family. Life is hectic, but Christina is passionate about mealtime because she believes that family meals are the glue that holds everyone together. Creating simple, quick and healthy meals is her specialty and her trick to keeping the family meal a reality, even on busy weeknights.
Follow her on Twitter @TakeBackTables