Pet Lovers

To Win this Challenge we’ve got to Save More Lives

Are you ready? In just three short months, we’ll find out if 50 animal shelters hailing from 24 states across the U.S. will smash last year’s record of 52,484 beautiful animals saved!

The 2012 ASPCA Rachael Ray $100K Challenge, challenges animal shelters nationwide to find loving homes for lost and abandoned dogs and cats, and  looks to award more than $500K in prizes-including a grand prize of $100,000-to the those who save the most lives. The fascinating part of the $100K Challenge is the innovation: each shelter creates their own plan to save more lives.  If the past is any indication, we’re expecting to see lots of new and creative ideas, and an incredible effort from all of the shelters.

We’re really excited to see this year’s Challenge kicking off today!  And we’re counting on you to help the shelter in your state or region win big on behalf of homeless animals. So, check out the list of participating shelters at www.aspca.org/100kchallenge – and consider adding a new furry member to your family – summer is a great time to adopt a wonderful new cat or dog (or both)!
-Ed Sayres
President and CEO ASPCA

31 Responses to “To Win this Challenge we’ve got to Save More Lives”

1. Sue C says:

Rachael, I think what you’re doing to save animals is wonderful! I’m sure there will be a lot of wonderful animals that get adopted as a result of your promotion. I have 2 adopted dogs myself, one is 5 yrs old and the other is a 2 yr old that we rescued last yr when her owner turned her loose and moved away. I’ve spent 1 1/2 yrs trying to find her a home but it looks like she’s here to stay.
    My question is, have you ever thought about sponsoring spay/neuter clinics to reduce the number of unwanted pets in the shelters? Many of us don’t have our pets “fixed” because we can’t afford to. My area has Facebook sites dedicated to saving animals and we have several people that go to shelters and get the animals about to be euthanized and foster them until a home can be found but the numbers are astronomical. Here are some of the sites we’re using in our area: http://www.facebook.com/groups/147945805320626/ , http://www.facebook.com/groups/RescuesNeedHomesToo/

2. Astrid says:

The spirit behind this challenge is well intentioned of course. However the Bakersfield shelter in Ca is now giving away free and $5 dogs in order to try to win the prize money. This is leading to people taking multiple dogs and trying to resell them to make some extra cash. It has only been one day since your challenge started and there are already ads selling dogs in the Bakersfield area that specify the dogs were picked up for free at the Bakersfield shelter. Hopefully there are stipulations you can establish for your challenge that will not encourage Bakersfield or other shelters to take this sort of irresponsible action in order to win prize money. It is a direct contradiction of the good this challenge is trying to do!

3. Kathleen says:

Rachel, While i applaud you for saving the lives of shelter dogs, I encourage you to stop using meat and dairy in your recipes. Over 95% of the cruelty to animals in the United States occurs at the hands of the meat, dairy, and egg industries which confine, mutilate, and slaughter over 8 billion land animals each year!

4. Susan Lyman says:

Hi Rachel,
    Thank you for all you do to support and help our pets. At http://www.tailsuntold.com we donate a % of every personalized pet book we create and sell to an animal shelter/rescue as we believe every pet deserves a loving home! Please check it out.
    Best, Susan Lyman, Founder/President

5. Georgina says:

Dear Rachel,
    I have to second what Astrid has said about this challenge. The shelter BARCS in Baltimore is also giving away animals for free. Who knows what kind of homes these companion animals are going to. And worse, free animals have been used for medical experiments or, especially kittens, have been fed to people’s pet snakes.
    I volunteer for a no-kill animal rescue and we too are overwhelmed with animals especially in the summer. Although we do sometimes use REDUCED adoption fees (such as $50) it has to be enough to dissuade people from using the animal for nefarious purposes. PLEASE do not reward shelters for giving away free animals.

6. Jennifer says:

Dear Rachel –

I echo Astrid & Georgina’s posts. I live and work in Houston and can tell you that BARC Houston is entered in this contest. They are the city shelter and are mandated to take all animals surrendered to them. They have a horribly high kill-rate, so during this Challenge, they are killing less and slashing adoption fees just to win the grand prize. I cringe to think about the fate of the animals adopted during this challenge. It’s wonderful to save more lives, but I would bet my next paycheck that as soon as the challenge is over, whether they win or not, their kill rates will skyrocket.

In the sheltering world, there are two models: Traditional & No Kill. The organization that is co-sponsoring this event practices under the traditional model. Next year, I challenge you to partner with any shelter whose mission and practice is aligned with the No Kill model. You can learn about No Kill by going to this link: http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/

I know you’re intentions are good, but that’s not enough. A paradigm shift is needed in the sheltering industry. The real challenge is to hold Traditional Sheltering Directors to a higher standard and demand better care for the animals who end up in their shelters – because every animal matters, not just the ones lucky enough to be adopted out through this challenge.

7. Caroline says:

Hi Rachael,
    It is really great what you do for animals but have you ever considered helping the small rescues? These rescues strugle and would you consider haveing some of them on your show. These rescues mostly run out of someones home as they can only afford to have foster homes until homes are found for the pets. I help a small rescue as much as I can and this Lady does so much and they are a 501C3. Look at web site (mygrowl.com) Global Rescue Welfare League Inc. and contact her to tell you what all she does. She is really amazing if you would like to know more about the small rescues. You don’t know until you check it out!! I was surprised!!

8. bruce purdum says:

Thanks for caring about shelter animals…
    Dogs sure are great friends, aren’t they?
    Enjoy your show…go for it, girl!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

9. Jenni says:

I have to echo some of those above. The intentions of this contest are great but in practicality, is a disaster for some of those “less adoptable” breeds. From personal experience, some of the shelters in the running have now stopped working w/ rescues on placing dogs, since rescues don’t count for them to win. I beg you to reconsider the “terms” if this contest. If shelters only get “credit” for those dogs adopted to a “home” vs those saved by a rescue…..what to you think that means for those dogs that are harder to about? Unfortunately, I now know the answer to that.

10. Deanna Barnhill says:

I have 16 Kittens and Cat outside. I love them all to death but it’s getting hard to feed them all and I don’t want to take them someplace where they will be put down. I need help as to what to do with them all. I live in Portland Michigan. Thanks <3

11. I have a request, Could you all take a moment to check out the story of”London” the 2 legged pitbull on facebook? (https://www.facebook.com/TeamLondonPitbull?ref=stream) You can also go to ” http://www.weareteamlondon.org” This is truly an ammazing story of a Pit Bull that was rescued by the loving and generous rescue group called “Panda Paws” in Vacouver,Washington. I cant tell the story the way it should be told, you must see the pictures and videos and read the story for yourself. This rescue is non profit and can use all the help they can get. Thank you so much for your time by reading this message, but please do look at these sites. You will be so glad you did. Be prepared, you will need some tissues.

12. rita g says:

racheal ray, don’t know if you see this or not, but i’m asking fo5r youe help, in a weeks time the ashtabula county apl, in ashtabula, ohio, is gonna put down a mass amount of dogs. please can you do something on your show try to save these dogs. it’s cruel, they do not deserve to die, and they r making it very hard for people to adopt any. i’m just sick about it, don’t know what to do.please help right away if possable. urgent! thank you rita from kingsville, ohio i hope you see this.

13. I see that there are a few of us who are troubled by this contest. I am sure that whoever designed it meant well, but as a result of the contest and the greed of so many facilities and pet adoption groups with facilities, the lives of a countless number of innocent pets are being de-valued. Here in the Phoenix area there are empty out the shelter events that have cats and dogs being given away or being sold for a few bucks. I must admit that I believe that Racheal Ray and her staff are conducting this contest as a publicity stunt. I apologize if I am wrong. But at this time, I can’t reason why this contest would be for anything else.

14. Midori Harris says:

Rachael – It warms my heart that you fight for animal rights and all proceeds from your pet food business go towards animal rescue. If I ever win a lottery jackpot I plan on using the funds to help animal shelters, animal rescue groups and to fight the war against puppy/cat mills. I recently adopted a rescue Shih Tzu, we named Genji who lived six of his years of life in a horrific puppy mill in LA. The rescue organization that was part of the puppy mill rescue effort is http://www.petguardianpetservice.org/page3.html the owner and director is Annette Still. Annette is in desperate need of funds each month to stay open and each month is a struggle, but if she does not come up with enough funds by October 14 to meet the rent, she will have to close down Guardian House. I have been trying to help come up with ideas on how she can raise funds for her cause and I would appreciate any recommendations. I have set up a monthly allotment for the Pet Guardian Pet Service Organization, but my monthly donation is a mere drop in the bucket. I know your cause is to help animal shelters, but would you consider helping small rescue groups who cannot afford the advertising needed to reach out for financial assistance. The owner of Pet Guardian Pet Service has had to use her personal funds to help rescue, vet, feed, and house and adopt out animals she has rescued. Please, view her website and help if you can. If it was not for Annette Still and Guardian House, my husband and I would not have the love and joy of our Genji. Thank you!

15. kathryn wilson says:

Racheal, bloggers I had an idea to raide funds and its cool, hip.
    I have developed rubber dental bracelets like everyone wears for breast cancer and like Lance armstrongs first live well or whatever but they fit sm, me , large dogs. thay can have you dogs vet name in case no collar on and they get out- horror of horror.
    I own rescue dogs and I want partners to chime in about my idea. your doggie might eat them but whose dog has not gone through many many toys,
    theres no recession in the pet world,
    signed,
    retired financial advisor and now a special dog mum who loves RR BAD RAP campaign and I want to raise money for all pets who are abuses abandoned and otherwise neglected.

You need to be able to have to get a license to own a pet My personal opinion but chime in about the bracelets, they are rubber. My dogs roscoe and Blackjack both pit bulls, a blue and staffordshire terrier, aka pitty’s led me to this idea while on our daily 1-2 hour walk on the beach.
    if you can help market them, I am willing to give 50% TO CHARITY AND 50% BACK INTO THE BUSINESS TO BUILD ON DEMAND. THANK YOU.

a SPECIAL DOG MUM IN TEXAS

16. RAISE FUNDS, NOT raide, SORRY JUST WENT TO THE DENTIST.

17. Merri says:

Thanks for your support of ALL dogs. One person cannot do it all, but your persona has really helped the beautiful stratford terriers and other rescue animals. Woof!

18. shelly says:

My bestfriend now runs Pet Samaritain since her mother passed away last year.
    People do not look at the most important numbers..% of money going to PEOPLE and number of animals euthanized.
    The Pet Samaritan Fund, a nonprofit organization was established in 1991by founder Emily C. Dial, when she saw the desperate need to help the most helpless members of Society-abandoned/injured and/or abused pets in the Salt Lake City, Utah and surrounding areas
    Every penny we raise goes to caring for our animals, and we never euthanize a healthy animal.

19. I adopted Wendy from the Horry County she;ter 3 yrs ago…We just had moved to SC & my daughter was in Iraq at the time…She was overbred, 8 lbs (a 4 yo dauchund) and so nervous…3 yrs later she is in perfect health & loves life…she loves you food, Just 6 & the treats…we got her a puppy, Tinkerbelle who races to her bowl too,,,I think the Horry Co Animal Care Shelter in Conway,SCwould put the money to good use…they brought my QWendy into my life so she could rescue me & help me not miss my daughter as much…These people do good work

20. I love the work you are doing publicizing the needs of animals, and promoting responsible adoption of unwanted pets. We also need to provide spay and neuter services at an affordable rate for those who ‘adopt’ pets without the means to look after them responsibly.
    Thanks for the article, and thanks for all the great images. I share your articles with my friends on facebook and pettogetto to highlight these needs everywhere.

21. My daughter is a veterinarian in Plant City and we have and have had a number of pets both dogs and cats that we find forever homes for. We also have a charity event once a year called “Fashiion, Feathers and Fur” – that benefits a number of dog, cat and also bird sanctuaries. We are glad that you are also helping the many animals that are either lost or just lett by former owners. There is such a need for the work that you and others do. Thank you so much for all your help.

22. Rita Knutsen says:

PLS PLS ….. you have done so much to help the displaced pets of Hurricane Sandy but the one more in particular needs your help Urgently!!!!!
    LucasA collie/ shepherd, named Lucas is on DEATH ROW at the Staten Island animal care and control facility following the death of his owner during Hurricane Sandy. Lucas was found at his owner side when they were discovered.

The following is a copy of the article from http://www.examiner.com:

New York dog on death row following death of owner in Hurricane Sandy
    November 12, 2012
    By: Penny Eims

Lucas, a collie/shepherd mix, is on death row at the Staten Island, N.Y. animal care and control facility following the death of his guardian.
    Years ago, Lucas was adopted from the same facility when he was just a puppy. His initial owners had turned him over to the shelter when they had a baby and no longer had “room” for their 4-legged friend.

In a relatively short span of time, Lucas has come full circle. This time, he is no longer an enticing puppy – he is an adult who is out of time.

Lucas’ most recent entrance to this facility follows a devastating tragedy. When super storm Hurricane Sandy descended on New York, Lucas’ owner died.

Lucas remained by his owner’s side until they were both discovered and Lucas was subsequently transported to the shelter facility.

23. gail renner says:

Rachael and her team,
    Thank you for donating $500,000 to pets who were displaced by hurricane Sandy, you are a true angel to dogs and cats here.
    ~ g in NYC

24. Susan C. says:

Bless you, Rachel Ray, for all you do on behalf of our animals. Your caring heart coupled with your energy, have accomplished major feats. May you be blessed as abundantly as you have given of yourself. You are a true inspiration and I thank you.

25. sara says:

Rachel,
    I have recently became aware of the number of animals that are being euthanized in NYC. There is a Facebook page called Urgent Part 2 – Death Row Dogs. The ACC in new York is killing numbers of dogs and cats each day, mostly pit bulls. There are older dogs, puppies and everything in between. It breaks my heart, some of these animals are only at the shelter for days and they are put on this list. To make matters worse, they make it very difficult to adopt these poor babies. The list of animals to be killed the next morning goes out at say 5 pm. Some you can call and reserve but has to be done before 6 am. If you don’t get to them by then, you then have to apply to New Hope Rescue groups and try to get them to save these babies.They have you jumping threw hoops to try to save a life. It terrible and sad. Please Rachel, bring attention to this hell of a place, something needs to be chang

26. Christie Lloyd says:

Hey Rachael!
    It’s wonderful to see what you are doing for these shelter dogs because there are so many animals that need a good loving home. In our household we took in a lab x about 2 yrs ago and she has been so great. This year for Christmas my kids, who are both teenagers asked only to adopt an animal from a shelter for Christmas, so we welcomed their suggestion. Unfortunately the poor puppy broke its leg the very first day we brought her home(she slipped on the floor) :( Of course we would do anything we can for our fur babies so we are making sure she’s all fixed up…just big vet bills at such a bad time of the year, but the kids are understanding and don’t expect anything else for the holidays. Even though things like this happen, it would never stop me from rescuing an animal in need. We have the two dogs, Kira and Aspyn and a cat , Tink as well. Hope others out there are just as compassionate and generous, just as u are!!

27. Lucille Fergerson says:

I know of a Kibble Kitchen here in Melbourne, FL that desperately needs help How do I contact Rachel to see if she will help?

LF

28. JJ kennedy says:

Hi Rachel,

Please help. I’m a mom of 2 kids & 3 dogs. I love helping animals, please checkout link below.

29. denise says:

I represent a gal who is an intuitive spirit medium who is doing fundraisers mostly for animal no-kill organizations. Lisa does event as well where she connects those who have crossed over to loved ones — she also connects animals and pets to those who have lost them as well. We are located in western mass, if we can help by doing a fundraiser for our four legged friends, please let us know. Denise

30. debbie says:

Rachel, thank you for the quality and price of your petfood. I noticed a dog tied to a fence that could barely get up as he was so very thin and malnourished. Being the animal lover I am, I went to the store and bought a bag of your food and went back to pour it over the fence. The dog was literally trying to eat the bag as I poured it over the fence. I then noticed another dog the same shape tied to a tree in the middle of the yard. There wasn’t any way of getting food to her. I got some bread and squeezed food into it and threw them like footballs out to her. The next day I went and asked the owner if I could feed his dogs your new dogfood, no cost to him, but I needed permission to go on his property. He said OK and now the dogs look beautiful after a few weeks of your food. They are both pitbulls which scared me at first but they are the most loving, friendly dogs I have been around. Now they want love and petting before food. Your coupons have helped me considerably. The only income we have is my husband’s disability check and that has to pay for a family of 4. I have 2 big dogs of my own, the lab was left at a garbage dump to die and the other wandered into our yard(as a puppy) after several dogs had attacked him. My daughter nursed him back to health. We don’t have alot of money to go around but there’s more than enough love!
    Once again, thank you for making a great dog food that’s easily affordable.

31. Alexandria Hankins says:

Hi Rachel,
    I have always had a love for animals because animals won’t judge you and they know how to show unconditional love. I have been volunteering at a local canine rescue in Evansville, Indiana and have been wanting to take my love of animals even further – I am great at baking and love to do it, so I want to start doing bake sales BUT I am only 11 years old, have no funding, and have no clue how to start this and make my self known. I also didn’t know how to contact you or where this would be classified! :)
    Alexandria Hankins