Not only is white vinegar a natural sanitizer and terrific way to kill mold, bacteria and germs ’cause of it’s acidity, it’s also a money and mani-friendly, way to deal with some holiday tasks. AND, this ‘wine gone bad’ home-sweet-home staple also may be just what the doctor ordered!
1. MANI-FRIENDLY LABEL REMOVER: I ‘accidentally’ and routinely break wine glasses. And during the holidays I don’t want to break my bank replacing them when my guests follow suit. So I’ve opted for those new cheap (or rather inexpensive) 8 glasses for $14.99 I found at Walmart. Problem is, those sticky labels are not good for my manicure. Here’s a solution that will save our mani and not leave any of that residue so our guests think we didn’t wash them well! Simply fill a microwaveable bowl with enough white vinegar to cover the area where the label is (stem or glass area). Heat the vinegar in the microwave. Place the area where the label is in the bowl. Let sit for minute and remove with a paper towel. Viola! No yuk, no muss, no chipped manicure.
2. FUNKY DISHWASHER SMELLS: Guests coming over and your nose notices that eau du funk scent coming from your manicure’s best friend? No problemo! Fill the dishwasher dispenser with vinegar and run on short cycle…no dishes please! And, BTW that funky smell is from the gunk and soap build-up that accumulates from our dirty dishes over time so it’s good to do this monthly.
Article continues below...
3. STUFFED SINKS and DRAINS: Whether it’s due to excess hair going down the drain courtesy of your significant others male-pattern balding or crud from washing dishes in your kitchen sink this simple solution will clear the way. Pour a cup of baking soda down the sink or drain, follow with a cup of white vinegar. The interaction will cause it to bubble. Let it do it’s thing until the mix stops bubbling (BTW-this is also a good way to know if your baking soda has expired since the mix won’t bubble if it has). Finish by pouring down a kettle of boiling water or if you’re too lazy to do that flush thoroughly with hot water from the tap. Repeat if necessary.
4. POLISH PATENT-That lil’ black dress looks just right with that black patent bag n’ those dull patent stilettos…did I say dull! Bring back their shine by placing some vinegar on a clean micro-fiber cloth and rubbing. Buff/wipe dry with another clean cloth.
5. SORE THROAT SOOTHER-After a night of partying and thinking you can sing holiday tunes like Adele all night long you may awake with a sore throat. Dull the pain by mixing equal parts of white vinegar with water. Swig some and gargle being sure you get it as far back in your throat as can tolerate. Repeat. In case it lingers, keep some in a spray bottle and use throughout day. Vodka also will work but that’s another day’s blog.
For more tips from The Accidental Housewife visit julie’s tips