E is for Entertaining and should also be for Easy ways to do it so we can Enjoy the time during our get-together! And, though some of us may be the type whom tends to every detail my approach is to not sweat them and that less is more. Thus, through trial and lots of error, I’ve learned that the trick to not being constantly on the go and worried at your own event is in the pre-entertaining prep and set up. So here my friends are 10 tried ‘n true time, mani-and sanity saving tips and tricks to help you Enjoy your next soiree!
o Assign each guest a ‘to bring’ item to limit your prep
o Designate one bathroom for guest use
o Close off all other bathrooms and rooms that you don’t want guests to enter. (Do Not Cross tape is optional- LOL )
Article continues below...
o Use the “D” word as in Disposable:
§ Dishware, glasses and utensils
- Use colorful or foil lined mini-cupcake liners for single-serve warm items such as ‘pigs in the blanket’, mini quiches, and meatballs
- Use coffee filters and fill with items such as assorted nuts, trail mix, or use as a discard for tail shells from shrimp (which btw if you’re serving these I’ll be there!)
- Carve out assorted sized melons, breads, apples, pears, etc and fill them with dips, sauces, salads, fruit pieces, etc. Simply toss when through…
§ Table coverings
- Use decorative cloth-like paper
- For a themed or casual event repurpose sections of the Sunday Paper i.e. comics or sports section which can also be used as a ‘conversation starter’ or game should the party need some ‘energy.
- Serve virtually stain-free foods that won’t leave impossible stains to clean up such as:
- Pre-cut cheese cubes and pepperoni slices
- Light-colored dips: i.e. hummus, yogurt; spinach-artichoke, veggie sour cream etc.
- Set up a self help bar and/or
§ Use your top-load washing machine as an auxillary cooler,
- Fill with ice and single serve drinks i.e. beer, wine coolers, juice paks, soda etc
- When party’s over, let ice melt then put on rinse cycle
And last but definitely not least!!!
- Display ‘Get Well’ cards in strategic locations as an excuse why your home may not be quite as orderly as usual.
- Serve a ‘house-welcoming’ cocktail upon entry. These will put everyone in a cheery mood, blur their senses so your home looks clean, neat and all your food tastes great! Ha ha ha!
For more tips from The Accidental Housewife visit Julie’s tips