Tra la tra la Spring is almost in the air! And, for many of us it marks the start of our doing our annual spring cleaning chores that bore. And, yes we’ll do the normal must do’s like washing our windows since looking through them after winter’s wrath causes us to think we need stronger eyeglasses and we’ll vacuum all our drapes, sofas etc which will give our arms a terrific workout. However, it’s the stuff we’ll miss that we really need to tend to since they harbor bacteria, mold ‘n mildew, dust mites and their doo which can cause us health issues and worsen allergies and asthma. So where are these spots…and how can we deal with them? Read on….
Article continues below...
And thanks to Jessie’s Blog for the terrific illustration!
- TOOTHBRUSH HOLDERS: Bacteria, mold ‘n mildew
We know to change our toothbrushes regularly but overlook where we keep them! Toothbrush holders are havens for those broad-jumping germs that take flight every time we flush our family throne. So clean them by using another fave mouth-cleaning product: Pour enough of your fave antiseptic mouthwash into a bowl so that It can cover it. Let sit for 10-15 minutes then use a toothbrush-preferably an old, unused one to get in the nooks and viola…all clean!
- SHOWER HEADS: Mold n’ mildew, mineral build-up
- Wrap the showerhead in a cloth drenched with white vinegar which is a natural sanitizer. Place a plastic bag around it and secure it with one of your butterfly hair clips or a scrungie. Leave overnight!
- REFRIGERATOR: DRIP PANS/RUBBER GASKETS: Mold ‘n Mildew
- The drip pans under your fridge are a place mold likes to take up residence, so be sure to empty it regularly- it’s also a fave watering hole for roaches! Clean the drip pan with vodka and a scrub brush. Use the cheap stuff! Dilute with water 3:1 in a spray bottle-2:1 or 100% pure vodka is fine too. Then wipe with damp microfiber cloth to remove remaining yuk! Martinis on me if you don’t notice a difference!
- Moisture can also form on those rubber gaskets along your fridge’s door. Simply put some vodka (the cheap kind!) in a spray bottle and spray away. Use an old toothbrush to get in the nooks and wipe with a clean, dry cloth.
- STUFFED ANIMALS: Dust mites and doo
- Dust mites are pretty much everywhere including your child’s (or your!) stuffed animal since they feed off your dead skin. Simply put a cup of baking soda in a large plastic bag and then the stuffed animal. Seal ‘n shake. This will loosen the mites and doo. You can also place your stuffed animal in a freezer overnight or outside if it’s below 32 degrees.
- FAKE PLANTS: Dust, pet dander
- They need our TLC (tender loving cleaning!) too since dust, pet hairs, and their dander find their way onto them. Pour a cup of salt into a paper bag and place the plant upside down inside. Shake ‘n flakes should fall away. Use a pastry brush to remove any excess salt.
- REAL PLANTS: Dust, mold ‘n mildew
- Go bananas…well actually banana peels! Use the inside of a peel to dust and shine.
- Be sure not to overwater your plants but if you do and you begin to see mold on pan remove with vinegar.
- BOOKS: Mold ‘n mildew, Book lice
- Many of us keep books in places where moisture can be found and that can result in mold. Mold in turn are a book lice’s fave food so you wind up having them as well. To help prevent that you can sprinkle pages with baby powder and keep/place those silica gel packets that come in shoe boxes (and give cause for us to buy more shoes!) behind the books wherever you think there is moisture. You can also place them in drawers, cabinets, etc. just be sure to keep them well out of the reach of your children and pets!
- VACUUM CLEANERS: 50% fetal bacteria; 13% ecoli
- According to study at University of Arizona 50% of vacuum brushes have bacteria caused from sucking up dust and the doo those yucky dust mites deposit. Spray your brushes with a disinfectant spay and/or wipe the inside with an alcohol-based disinfecting wipe. While you have the vacuum out, suck up some dried coffee grounds to keep your vacuum smelling good. Then sit back and enjoy the java and job-a well done! BTW if you’re spraying with a sanitizer you need to leave it on for at least 10-15 minutes to work!